Low RAM

Search This thread

Sippay

Aug 21, 2013
I had this phone since 2011 it came with android 2.1 .the phone should have 512mb of RAM but always shows 312mb. I read somewhere that if I upgrade android it will change to 512mb but it still stayed the same. It was running android 2.3 gingerbread until now. I decided to install a custom ROM this year.I installed CyanogenMod 11 snapshot release. It brought so many new cool features to the phone and made it much easier to use. But the RAM is full. Apps like Facebook and Google+ are using up the RAM. Should I get an older version of CyanogenMod? Like cm10, or cm11? I think that the older versions would use less RAM to run on the phone.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
I had this phone since 2011 it came with android 2.1 .the phone should have 512mb of RAM but always shows 312mb. I read somewhere that if I upgrade android it will change to 512mb but it still stayed the same. It was running android 2.3 gingerbread until now. I decided to install a custom ROM this year.I installed CyanogenMod 11 snapshot release. It brought so many new cool features to the phone and made it much easier to use. But the RAM is full. Apps like Facebook and Google+ are using up the RAM. Should I get an older version of CyanogenMod? Like cm10, or cm11? I think that the older versions would use less RAM to run on the phone.

You're always gonna have some RAM used. You can sacrifice your hd recording for more RAM (with another kernel). But unless you really need it, having 200 RAM being used is nothing.

KruciFFF

Oct 25, 2013
Bangalore
You cant get whole 512MB of installed RAM as free space in this world! :D android OS itself consumes 40-50% RAM! Some of the exceptional ROMs like SlimROMS consume less amount of RAM. Secondly, You cant expect Apps like Facebook,Google+,Flipboard work like charm on Captivate as they consume more RAM and Cache memory for their benefit. If you want to use those kind of apps, then you should keep closing them whenever not required. You better use Greenify app from the playstore, it hibernates apps when not in use! :)

Hope it helps! :fingers-crossed: Cheers! :good:

guschoneweg

Dec 13, 2013
Curitiba
Use any KK rom with NeatKernel 1.09, works great and its very fast in any ROM. I just can't play videos in instagram and sometimes in snapchat but i can live without it. And i deleted some system apps i dont use like native keyboard, calendar, talkback, etc.

thebulletfromhell

Feb 19, 2010
The 1st gen SGS devices (including the original Galaxy Tab) only has 384mb of "real" RAM. The rest is for the graphic card. With a bigmem kernel, you can sacrifice HD recording/playback for another 30-40mb.

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You're always gonna have some RAM used. You can sacrifice your hd recording for more RAM (with another kernel). But unless you really need it, having 200 RAM being used is nothing.
    The 1st gen SGS devices (including the original Galaxy Tab) only has 384mb of "real" RAM. The rest is for the graphic card. With a bigmem kernel, you can sacrifice HD recording/playback for another 30-40mb.