[Q] Successfully Rooted with Towelroot on Note 3(SM-N900T), have some questions...

Search This thread

Steameffekt

Jun 18, 2014
Successfully rooted without tripping Knox with Towelroot. NE6 firmware. I have T-Mobile Jump and would like to Jump to the Note 4 when it comes out. If I install TWRP and make a backup of stock, will I trip knox and void my JUMP eligibility? Wanted to install via Flashify and install Xposed framework at some point down the line.

Thanks!

effortless

Feb 11, 2007
Philadelphia
Successfully rooted without tripping Knox with Towelroot. NE6 firmware. I have T-Mobile Jump and would like to Jump to the Note 4 when it comes out. If I install TWRP and make a backup of stock, will I trip knox and void my JUMP eligibility? Wanted to install via Flashify and install Xposed framework at some point down the line.

Thanks!
Yes.. Custom recovery or custom kernel will trip knox

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

effortless

Feb 11, 2007
Philadelphia
If I flashed back to stock, did a factory reset, would it still say custom?
As long as you didn't flash a custom kernel or recovery, it should be OK once you flash stock.

Even if you trip Knox, flash back to stock and jump when the time comes. They generally don't care about that as long as your phone is not damaged.

Knox warranty void is not the phone warranty. It's telling you Knox can't secure your phone anymore. Its (Knox's) warranty is void. People all over the Internet don't even know what Knox is and they spread misinformation.

Look up what Knox really is. It is an app that runs on your phone and creates a secure Android environment within itself. It's like another phone with its own launcher and app store that is secure. It's meant for employees to use their personal phone for work purposes as well.

When you trip the Knox warranty, Knox triggers an efuse that will prevent the secure container from being able to be created... Meaning Knox will never work again on your phone. It's a security measure so that companies will take the Samsung phones seriously in the work space. In reality it has worked for them as the department of defense recently approved a few Samsung models with Knox.

If you don't plan on using Knox for anything, then trip Knox and enjoy custom kernels/recoveries etc. If you do plan on using it, it's not a good idea to even root your phone as the whole purpose of Knox is to be secure and rooting will make Knox vulnerable.. You might even get fired if your IT department finds out.

Steameffekt

Jun 18, 2014
Yes.. Custom recovery or custom kernel will trip knox

As long as you didn't flash a custom kernel or recovery, it should be OK once you flash stock.

Even if you trip Knox, flash back to stock and jump when the time comes. They generally don't care about that as long as your phone is not damaged.

Knox warranty void is not the phone warranty. It's telling you Knox can't secure your phone anymore. Its (Knox's) warranty is void. People all over the Internet don't even know what Knox is and they spread misinformation.

Look up what Knox really is. It is an app that runs on your phone and creates a secure Android environment within itself. It's like another phone with its own launcher and app store that is secure. It's meant for employees to use their personal phone for work purposes as well.

When you trip the Knox warranty, Knox triggers an efuse that will prevent the secure container from being able to be created... Meaning Knox will never work again on your phone. It's a security measure so that companies will take the Samsung phones seriously in the work space. In reality it has worked for them as the department of defense recently approved a few Samsung models with Knox.

If you don't plan on using Knox for anything, then trip Knox and enjoy custom kernels/recoveries etc. If you do plan on using it, it's not a good idea to even root your phone as the whole purpose of Knox is to be secure and rooting will make Knox vulnerable.. You might even get fired if your IT department finds out.

Makes sense and I probably will flash a custom recovery. I just don't understand the fuss with people wanting not to trip knox if they're not even gonna use it.

Eudeferrer

Aug 27, 2012
Miami
I successfully rooted my Tmo Note 3 with Towelroot v2. I am currently on NE6 Boot-loader and have Knox at 0x0 and would like to remain there. I would like to upgrade to the new firmware NF1 which is not rootable with Towelroot yet. Does anyone know if using Mobile Odin Pro is able to keep root if manually done without breaking/tripping Knox? I think I remember reading somewhere that it was okay to do so and ignore the message even though it asks to download a file and then it gives a warning saying that:
"Using, Mobile Odin on this device will void your warranty, as the Knox counter will be triggered .This is not reversible".

Can someone confirm if its Okay to ignore the warning and that activating Mobile Odin Pro on my phone is OK without triggering Know 0x1, or was that other posting I read somewhere wrong? I cannot remember where I read it. If not possible to use Mobile Odin without triggering Knox 0x1,. is there any other way to root NF1 without triggering knox on our device? What do you guys think?

un-answered question............

I don't know why I have not asked this before, but here it goes..........
First, I just want to say that I could care less about Knox...
(my phone already has the knox pox)

But for future reference if I had a brand new Note 3 with official stock NB4 baseband
and I rooted it successfully using Towelroot (or root de la vaga) would it be possible
to simply rename a custom rom like Hyperdrive to "update.zip" and copy it to the
internal sdcard then boot into the stock NB4 recovery and flash/install "update.zip"?

If the only problem with this method would be the fact that a different kernel would
also flashed along with the rom it would be an easy fix by just removing the kernel
from the custom rom file before flashing the update.zip?

I know that more likely than not this method would not work. :eek:
But if it did work it should not trip the knox right?

Last edited:

Pajar0913

Mar 5, 2013
Omaha
I successfully rooted my Tmo Note 3 with Towelroot v2. I am currently on NE6 Boot-loader and have Knox at 0x0 and would like to remain there. I would like to upgrade to the new firmware NF1 which is not rootable with Towelroot yet. Does anyone know if using Mobile Odin Pro is able to keep root if manually done without breaking/tripping Knox? I think I remember reading somewhere that it was okay to do so and ignore the message even though it asks to download a file and then it gives a warning saying that:
"Using, Mobile Odin on this device will void your warranty, as the Knox counter will be triggered .This is not reversible".

Can someone confirm if its Okay to ignore the warning and that activating Mobile Odin Pro on my phone is OK without triggering Know 0x1, or was that other posting I read somewhere wrong? I cannot remember where I read it. If not possible to use Mobile Odin without triggering Knox 0x1,. is there any other way to root NF1 without triggering knox on our device? What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1403503091146.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1403503091146.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 177
re: modile odin - knox

"Using, Mobile Odin on this device will void your warranty, as the Knox counter will be triggered .This is not reversible". Can someone confirm if its Okay to ignore the warning and that activating Mobile Odin Pro on my phone is OK without triggering Know 0x1, or was that other posting I read somewhere wrong? I cannot remember where I read it. If not possible to use Mobile Odin without triggering Knox 0x1,. is there any other way to root NF1 without triggering knox on our device? What do you guys think?

I just checked and it's OK to "install" Mobile Odin on your phone and it
it will NOT trip the KNOX counter by simply installing it as long as you:

1: Don't flash any custom recoveries like twrp/cwm.
2: Don't flash any stock or custom kernels.
3: Don't flash any modems/baseband or bootloaders.
4: Don't flash any custom odin flashable firmwares.

In mobile odin there is no option to flash cwm/twrp
flashable zip files of any kind including custom roms.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Eudeferrer

Aug 27, 2012
Miami
I just checked and it's OK to "install" Mobile Odin on your phone and it
it will NOT trip the KNOX counter by simply installing it as long as you:

1: Don't flash any custom recoveries like twrp/cwm.
2: Don't flash any stock or custom kernels.
3: Don't flash any modems/baseband or bootloaders.
4: Don't flash any custom odin flashable firmwares.

In mobile odin there is no option to flash cwm/twrp
flashable zip files of any kind including custom roms.

Good luck!

Why would flashing a stock kernel/baseband or firmware cause Knox to change to 0x1 when done through Mobile Odin? I thought this would happen only through custom based ones?

re: knox - mobile odin

Why would flashing a stock kernel/baseband or firmware cause Knox to change to 0x1 when done through Mobile Odin? I thought this would happen only through custom based ones?

First of all I never said not to odin flash stock official firmware in my post.

If you or anyone else knows for sure that the modem/baseband or kernel you are
wanting to flash are 100% official stock 4.4.2 Kitkat NB4/NE6/NF1 versions then
its just fine to flash those.

However since knox cannot be rolled back and to keep things on the SAFE side I
always suggest the very safest way to do these things which even a NOOB would
understand without getting into trouble with a lot of unexpected issues. :laugh:

Good luck!

Eudeferrer

Aug 27, 2012
Miami

understand without getting into trouble with a lot of unexpected issues. :laugh:

Good luck!

My bad. I guess I misunderstood you the first time. Thank you for your response.

Reactions: Misterjunky

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If I flashed back to stock, did a factory reset, would it still say custom?

Good luck!

My bad. I guess I misunderstood you the first time. Thank you for your response.