[Q] Windows 8 on HTC Flyer/View

Search This thread

loni90

Feb 8, 2010
SWEDEN
Ok, just wanted to put this up here.
I come from the legendary HTC HD2 so I know nothing is impossible ;) from win6.5 to android is huge

Do you guys think a port of win8 will be possible? i mean they said 1gb of RAM is enough to run win8... and 1.5GHz should not be a problem if Atom is 1.6GHz, since we can overclock it and stuff..

so, is it possible, or whats talking against it?

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Technically, its "possible". But nobody is going to take the time to port Windows8 to the Flyer. Windows is closed source, making porting it over extremely difficult. Plus, there would be no drivers to make the hardware work with the OS. I'm no developer, but the enormous amount of work to overcome these obstacles make them infeasible, compared to simply buying a Windows 8 device (when they become available).

Sweetpea8472

Nov 15, 2011
On the other hand, there are developers who will try just for the fun of it. Will it be usuable to the general public? I doubt it....

immjg

Jan 14, 2010
Somebody tell Microsoft!

Hey this thing is already running a version of Linux, you see any ports to a full blown linux tablet?

Nice idea thou, the new Windows 8 looks to be finger friendly :)

loni90

Feb 8, 2010
SWEDEN
yeah i know it will be a pain in the arse, but hey - some people like to do this just for the fun and recognition - you know, be the one who finally managed to hack win8 and port it to a android device.

its been done before, and i think many will be donating to help.

its a fun thing.. imagine dual boot :D

Big_O

Aug 2, 2008
So. Cal
Read lots of issues and complaints about W8. Its a ubuntu mini wannabe. Its a nightmare on a pc and probably going to be classified as a cousin to vista. Windows is a mess structuraly compared to Linux, which is Android.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

slateac

Sep 22, 2010
There are a few reasons why it will never work, most of them people already mentioned

1. You can't compare a 1.6Ghz Intel x86 processor to a 1.6Ghz ARM one, the Flyer is well below the minimum specs.
2. Microsoft will not publicly release their ARM builds, they will only sell them directly to OEMs unlike the desktop version of Windows 8.
3. It's closed source.
4. If someone does miraculously manage to get it running (hey this is xda), functionality will be extremely limited as there is no legacy app support for ARM.

AidenM

Mar 10, 2011
You could install Ubuntu like DigitalMD said and put Win8 on a VM in there.... doubt it would boot though and you would have to find chuck norris and make him round-house kick the lag.

Last edited:
From ALL of the Tablets on the Market, I have checked out ALL of them. The one that I'm the happiest with is the Sprint HTC EVO View Tablet. It's the LOUDEST of ANY & ALL Tablets on the market. Anywhere from a little bit to a lot louder. I know that it's just a 7" screen, but it has the best sound. I would like to get Windows 8 on the HTC EVO View Tablet. i hope that ANYONE can come up with a solution to this. If anyone can come up with a solution to this, then I would put it on the HTC EVO View Tablet ASAP!

kudosmog

Aug 2, 2010
It's not possible. Doesn't meet min specs.
We installed it at work on an HP Slate that was running Win7, and it constantly freaked out about the resolution not being high enough. If a device that was meant to run Windows OS is unable to run Win8, it's not going to happen on an Android device. At least not officially.
And considering we can't get an ICS build running, it's a pretty good bet we'll never get Win8 to run.

stevedebi

Sep 7, 2005
Los Angeles
It's not possible. Doesn't meet min specs.
We installed it at work on an HP Slate that was running Win7, and it constantly freaked out about the resolution not being high enough. If a device that was meant to run Windows OS is unable to run Win8, it's not going to happen on an Android device. At least not officially.
And considering we can't get an ICS build running, it's a pretty good bet we'll never get Win8 to run.

I have a slate 500. Did you set it to the higher resolution? Win 8 should work, although the screen is a bit off at the higher resolution.

A bit off topic, I know...

kudosmog

Aug 2, 2010
Well that was just one aspect of it.
We weren't able to set the resolution any higher then the max 1024x600. It just wouldn't allow anything higher. It *runs* but anytime you click/swipe etc it vomits error messages.

Still, so many challenges keeping it from happening on the view/flyer. It's a pipe dream.

Chaosz-X

Jan 25, 2011
Is it possible looking at hardware? Yes, I think so. The architecture should be fine, as there is an ARM version.

However, what do we need?

-Drivers for Windows 8, and if we want to make this work out correctly, we do need the ability to write drivers ourselves, which is a lot of work.

-A custom bootloader. I hope that, after we get ICS to boot on the Flyer correctly, we can work on a bootloader, as it would be really nice for a real tweakers-tablet, so there might be a possibility for this (not giving an ETA, as I don't know how much work it is and it will take a lot of time, don't get excited on this at all...)

And besides, when we can work on a native Linux-distribution, I don't think it's worth it to work on W8, especially because every way we get it running is not legal. Oh, and let's not forget the work it takes to get it to boot, as it would take quite some magic to get a Windows kernel booting.

pauliusval99

Technically, its "possible". But nobody is going to take the time to port Windows8 to the Flyer. Windows is closed source, making porting it over extremely difficult. Plus, there would be no drivers to make the hardware work with the OS. I'm no developer, but the enormous amount of work to overcome these obstacles make them infeasible, compared to simply buying a Windows 8 device (when they become available).
and what do you think about windows phone 7 on the HD2? i believe it was extremely hard, but people made it ;)

pauliusval99

Read lots of issues and complaints about W8. Its a ubuntu mini wannabe. Its a nightmare on a pc and probably going to be classified as a cousin to vista. Windows is a mess structuraly compared to Linux, which is Android.

f**k you... don't write total bull****s here... it's not a noob forum. i didn't see any other complaints except people's noobiness.. they'll get used to the new controls. they're just awesome.

Ryno_666

Aug 25, 2009
Naysayers always say nay. I'm amazed at the accomplishments @ XDA thus far and have learned never say never. I for one would love to see this happen.

Some people do things because their told it can't be done.

diggsnicca

Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster, Ma
im using the rtm windows 8 right now i gotta say its pretty good ...early builds had issues but they did good quicker smother would be awesome if they could get windows 8 on my VIEW cuz its def built for mobile ...splashtop for now

megahypercat

Mar 23, 2011
Technically possilbe, but it's extreemely unlikely to happen. Especially since windows is in no way open source, and the flyer doesn't have that many modders.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is it possible looking at hardware? Yes, I think so. The architecture should be fine, as there is an ARM version.

However, what do we need?

-Drivers for Windows 8, and if we want to make this work out correctly, we do need the ability to write drivers ourselves, which is a lot of work.

-A custom bootloader. I hope that, after we get ICS to boot on the Flyer correctly, we can work on a bootloader, as it would be really nice for a real tweakers-tablet, so there might be a possibility for this (not giving an ETA, as I don't know how much work it is and it will take a lot of time, don't get excited on this at all...)

And besides, when we can work on a native Linux-distribution, I don't think it's worth it to work on W8, especially because every way we get it running is not legal. Oh, and let's not forget the work it takes to get it to boot, as it would take quite some magic to get a Windows kernel booting.
    Yeah this ain't gonna happen. Already got a very good , usable OS.
    I"d spend my time improving that and creating better apps