Samsung Keyboard Update / Change?

Search This thread

patchmonkey

Jul 14, 2010
Hello all:

Has anyone else had the Samsung Keyboard suddenly change in the past 24-48 hours?

Until yesterday, I could long-press on letters, such as "m", and access the symbol on the same key as the letter. Last night, however, the keyboard changed and no longer has the long-press option. All symbols and punctuation are only available on the period key or in the symbol menu.

I feel like I'm going nuts - this is exceptionally aggravating. I know I can switch keyboards but the prior Samsung Keyboard was actually working very well for me - I don't particularly want to go back to regular SwiftKey or the Google Keyboard.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT (12:13PM EST): Here are pictures:

What it looks like now:
Messaging-03-210-100.jpg

What it looked like 24 hours ago: (XDA doesn't want me to post any pictures, but it had punctuation marks etc. over each letter).

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Armyrj127

Sep 21, 2013
Hello all:

Has anyone else had the Samsung Keyboard suddenly change in the past 24-48 hours?

Until yesterday, I could long-press on letters, such as "m", and access the symbol on the same key as the letter. Last night, however, the keyboard changed and no longer has the long-press option. All symbols and punctuation are only available on the period key or in the symbol menu.

I feel like I'm going nuts - this is exceptionally aggravating. I know I can switch keyboards but the prior Samsung Keyboard was actually working very well for me - I don't particularly want to go back to regular SwiftKey or the Google Keyboard.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

\=$\ that was test using all longpress. It's working on my end and I'm on cleanrom 1.5 running mje.

Last edited:

patchmonkey

Jul 14, 2010
I'm also running MJE. I did use the modified framework on a rooted stock rom to allow wireless tether - but that's the only change recently.

This really is driving me nuts...:crying:

skinnytoo2

Oct 22, 2007
My long press buttons are working for me. Some even have more than one option when long pressed. What version is your keyboard?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MrWilliams2

Aug 4, 2010
I came here to post this question. It seems as though my secondary symbols have disappeared too. I have to press the SYM key to get to punctuation now. I'm not sure when it happened... I haven't accepted an update for the keyboard that I recall. I'm running CleanROM.

Last edited:

whatsinaname

Jun 21, 2007
I am on MI9 and my keyboard is doing the same as above.... didn't even notice til you said something. :)

whatsinaname

Jun 21, 2007
I am rooted and runing Wanam. in Wanam under system show or hide keyboard symbols was unchecked I enabled it, rebooted and now the symbols are back! cool. Thanks for the help. It must have happend during my last wanam update.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruleftbehind

patchmonkey

Jul 14, 2010
This solved the problem. Sorry - I've been out of pocket for a few days and just got back online.

Are you rooted? Do you have xposed framework installed? If so, install wanam module. In system, there is an option to show or hide keyboard symbols. Give that a shot.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Still nothing for me. It sucks because I really like the keyboard. Oh well, back to Thumb Keyboard for now.

YM83P3il.png

I've been looking for a keyboard replacement for Smart Keyboard Pro for a while... I've been using it since my OG Droid. I've tried all the main ones like Swype, SwiftKey, etc... and I've kept going back to SKP because of the autotext feature. ( typing "eml" will substitute my email address, for instance.)

When I upgraded to a Note 3 and changed my DPI to 360... I just HAD to get something new. Thank you so much (official xda thanks applied) for this screenshot. I went straight to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beansoft.keyboardplus and downloaded it (on sale for now) based simply on this screenshot that you sent. To my delight... Thumb Keyboard has a text substitution feature!!!

May I ask you which keyboard layout you're using that you have a dedicated number row? I'm not seeing one with that option.

Thanks again!

~Ryan

MrWilliams2

Aug 4, 2010
I've been looking for a keyboard replacement for Smart Keyboard Pro for a while... I've been using it since my OG Droid. I've tried all the main ones like Swype, SwiftKey, etc... and I've kept going back to SKP because of the autotext feature. ( typing "eml" will substitute my email address, for instance.)

When I upgraded to a Note 3 and changed my DPI to 360... I just HAD to get something new. Thank you so much (official xda thanks applied) for this screenshot. I went straight to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beansoft.keyboardplus and downloaded it (on sale for now) based simply on this screenshot that you sent. To my delight... Thumb Keyboard has a text substitution feature!!!

May I ask you which keyboard layout you're using that you have a dedicated number row? I'm not seeing one with that option.

Thanks again!

~Ryan

That's a custom set you can add to any layout. Hold down the settings key on the keyboard and enable the custom row (its a line with an up arrow ^ above it). Then, you can link whatever you want to the custom row.

Reactions: DrPhant0m
That's a custom set you can add to any layout. Hold down the settings key on the keyboard and enable the custom row (its a line with an up arrow ^ above it). Then, you can link whatever you want to the custom row.

I've needed a new keyboard app for a while... and it just got worse when I got the Note 3, and it has been unbearable for the last day since I changed the DPI.

Dedicated number row, and the text substitution option... Swiftkey can suck it. This is awesome. Thank you so much.

Here's what I'm going with...

9SF0ZAG.jpg

ACE3740

Dec 17, 2014
Allentown
I see that option in Wanam. It was disabled. I enabled it, but it didn't add the symbols...

Same thing happened with me... uncheck it and when it asks you to reboot there are two options do the fast reboot (from the pulldown menu) Then repeat the process... re-check the option for the keyboard symbols and do a "fast reboot" again and BOOM it should work. They were all there! Let me know if it works for ya :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Are you rooted? Do you have xposed framework installed? If so, install wanam module. In system, there is an option to show or hide keyboard symbols. Give that a shot.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I am rooted and runing Wanam. in Wanam under system show or hide keyboard symbols was unchecked I enabled it, rebooted and now the symbols are back! cool. Thanks for the help. It must have happend during my last wanam update.
    Still nothing for me. It sucks because I really like the keyboard. Oh well, back to Thumb Keyboard for now.

YM83P3il.png

Thanks again!

~Ryan