[Q] How do i unlock the Defy to all Networks

Search This thread

happyd1980

Oct 16, 2008
Hello,

Does anybody know a way i can unlock my Defy its currently locked on the T-Mobile UK network, I have tried searching the internet but i can't find anything please help.

Thanks

Chris

philmillman

Nov 25, 2010
I'm also looking for a carrier unlock. Mine is US T-Mobile. Anyone know of a reliable place for unlock codes?

danbutter

Feb 1, 2008
I'm also looking for a carrier unlock. Mine is US T-Mobile. Anyone know of a reliable place for unlock codes?

For Tmo (USA at least)
they will give it to you. You just have to call in and ask. May need to be a customer for a little while, but only if you are on postpaid. If you paid full price you can request unlock code right away.

ILIGCONS

Jan 23, 2006
Unlock Motorola Defy

Hello everybrody;

Any news about the unlock codes?

Thanks in advanced.Regards.

xtian63

Jun 15, 2005
Manila
i got an HD2 on line and Nuron on prepaid, called tmobile 2 for each phone and less than 24hrs on each occasion i got the unlock code from them

robrob777

Mar 31, 2010
For Tmobile USA

I got mine. It is free, just call Tmo and ask for the unlock code, tell them you are going to another country for vacations.

I payed full price, if you got the phone with a contract you might have to wait some time to get the unlock code from Tmo as they told me there are certain rules if you buy the phone with discount (aka 2yr contract).

I like Tmobile :)

T-Mobile Sim Unlock Request
Sim Unlock Reference: 1231232
IMEI: ##################

Unlock Code: ***************

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. Below you will see the Instructions for unlocking your Motorola device.

1. Place a non-T Mobile SIM card into the handset and turn the handset on.
2. The handset display should read "SIM network unlock PIN"
3. Tap the box below the message
4. Enter the unlock code and Tap "Unlock"

Note: Device should display "Network unlock successful".

If you receive an error message while performing the instructions do not make any further attempts to unlock the handset. Please be aware that if an excessive amount of incorrect attempts are made, the phone will be permanently locked. You will need to verify the IMEI by pressing *#06# and contact Customer Service for support.

Thank You,

Sim Unlock Department
T-Mobile USA, Inc.

scrannel

Aug 27, 2007
Actually, if you've been a customer for a few years they will give it to you contract price or not. I've never had an issue. However with wifi calling (and the fact that I really need my regular number for my work) I'm less motivated.

Reactions: NANOSCALE

pogo stick

Dec 10, 2010
Hello everyone!
I am not from US and I bought Defy from a person who got it on Oprah show. Waiting for this phone to arrive soon. It should be locked and I want to unlock it. I will receive copy of Oprah letter enclosed with phone. Something about 3 month of free T-Mobile service and pre-activated sim card.
Now the question. Will I get unlock from T-Mobile if I contact them? Will letter help?

xtian63

Jun 15, 2005
Manila
Hello everyone!
I am not from US and I bought Defy from a person who got it on Oprah show. Waiting for this phone to arrive soon. It should be locked and I want to unlock it. I will receive copy of Oprah letter enclosed with phone. Something about 3 month of free T-Mobile service and pre-activated sim card.
Now the question. Will I get unlock from T-Mobile if I contact them? Will letter help?

http://support.t-mobile.com/doc/tm51885.xml

SIM Unlock Code
For information on the SIM Unlock Code, refer to the following:

If you purchased a wireless phone from T-Mobile, your phone has been programmed with a SIM lock which will prevent the phone from operating with other compatible wireless telephone carrier’s services. If you wish to use the phone with the service of another wireless telephone carrier, you must enter a numeric SIM Unlock Code to unlock the phone.
For customers with a T-Mobile Postpaid Plan, T-Mobile will provide the SIM Unlock Code upon request to eligible customers, provided the requesting customer has a minimum of 40 days of active service with T-Mobile.
For customers with a T-Mobile Prepaid Plan, T-Mobile will provide the SIM Unlock Code upon request to eligible customers, provided the requesting customer has a minimum of 60 days of active service with T-Mobile and either a Prepaid Plan account balance of at least $10.00 or a prior refill within the last 30 days.
T-Mobile will provide the SIM Unlock Code upon request to eligible former customers, provided that T-Mobile has such code or can obtain it from the manufacturer.

You may request the SIM Unlock Code for your phone, together with instructions for entering the code, by calling T-Mobile customer care at 1-800-937-8997

customer support will also tell you Tmobile requires the phone be ACTIVE/USED on Tmo US for atleast 14 days since they can detect phones that use their networks

ru1dev

Dec 7, 2009
I got a TMobile (US) DEFY as a gift (I believe it is an Oprah show giveaway) and have been having a very hard time trying to unlock the phone. even the code that TMobile provided was wrong.

Attempts:
1 - TMobile - they said they did not have it in their database and contacted motorola. The code they sent was 8 digits and did not work.

2 - Unlockitnow-com - Paid $20 - Sent me 3 codes and all three did not work (I did a motorola database "not found" lookup) -> I made a youtube video of the code not working to get a refund and they said they are mailing me a sim unlock kit.

3 - Private Unlocker in Toronto - Paid $35 - Sent me 1 code and it was the same as one of the codes from unlockitnow-com so I did not try it as I knew it failed previously -> he then contacted motorola who advised him that the phone may possibly have a network lock and not a simlock so it would require 2 codes?? both 16-digit subsidy codes as the phones sent to Oprah were never sent to TMobile to remove the subsidy codes and insert TMobile 8digit calculated codes.

Debating trying to apply for a subsidy code from GSM liberty -> gsmliberty-net/shop/16-digit-motorola-subsidy-code-p-3213.html

Anyone else with a DEFY from the Oprah Show manage to unlock it? please help! PM or reply!! thanks in advance

arixal

Mar 7, 2009
got the same problemo here.. my uncle bought a motorola defy from the oprah show, then call t-mobile for unlock code..

t-mobile always sent the same code (just 8 digits) & it doesn't work.. they said that he has to call directly to motorola because he doesn't get the phone directly from tmobile (what the heck?? it's a tmobile phone for crying out loud..!!)

now he is trying swiftunlock from ebay.. haven't got the code yet..

hope it will work..

QSMR

Jan 7, 2009
Philadelphia
same thing here...

I got a TMobile (US) DEFY as a gift (I believe it is an Oprah show giveaway) and have been having a very hard time trying to unlock the phone. even the code that TMobile provided was wrong.

Attempts:
1 - TMobile - they said they did not have it in their database and contacted motorola. The code they sent was 8 digits and did not work.

2 - Unlockitnow-com - Paid $20 - Sent me 3 codes and all three did not work (I did a motorola database "not found" lookup) -> I made a youtube video of the code not working to get a refund and they said they are mailing me a sim unlock kit.

3 - Private Unlocker in Toronto - Paid $35 - Sent me 1 code and it was the same as one of the codes from unlockitnow-com so I did not try it as I knew it failed previously -> he then contacted motorola who advised him that the phone may possibly have a network lock and not a simlock so it would require 2 codes?? both 16-digit subsidy codes as the phones sent to Oprah were never sent to TMobile to remove the subsidy codes and insert TMobile 8digit calculated codes.

Debating trying to apply for a subsidy code from GSM liberty -> gsmliberty-net/shop/16-digit-motorola-subsidy-code-p-3213.html

Anyone else with a DEFY from the Oprah Show manage to unlock it? please help! PM or reply!! thanks in advance

I have the same problem with this oprah defy phone. I bought it for my husband for christmas (Im a Tilt2 .. and sticking with it..LOL)

You got much further than I did with T-Mobile, after being "disconnected" twice, I called back a third time only to have possibly the rudest tmobile rep on the planet tell me that there is no way they can know whether or not I stole the phone! and so it is impossible for them to give me a code. She then said that because it was a prepaid oprah phone that it could not be unlocked.

I gave up on T-Mobile and bought a code from unlock to talk and they sent me 2, both of which didnt work...(currently shooting my refund video as we speak...LOL...but they didnt sound too eager to give me my money back either way).

If anyone finds a reputable place that can unlock this expensive paper weight, please please post!....

help!!!
QSMR

QSMR

Jan 7, 2009
Philadelphia
gsmliberty

I decided to bite the bullet and risk losing more money on yet another unlock code....

Im trying gsmliberty too, since they have the 16 digit subsidy codes that this phone seems to need...

I have a ticket open with them at the moment 'cause they dont actually list the defy as a supported model, I already paid so we'll see...I really hope they can help me (its for my husband who is a US Marine)...I think it will also be the ultimate test for the ruggedness of this phone...LOL

I'll let you know what happens with gsmliberty...

QSMR

QSMR

Jan 7, 2009
Philadelphia
gsm liberty

really, thats great....can you tell me how exactly you ordered on that site? I put in my order, on thego the email to choose my phone model and wasnt listed. So I asked them what to put in the dropdown list and they keep putting trouble tickets in and then resending the same dropdown request.

Im so frustrated, but I feel better now that you said you got a working code from them...how did you order?

thanks!!!

QSMR

Jan 7, 2009
Philadelphia
supposed to be....

really, thats great....can you tell me how exactly you ordered on that site? I put in my order, on thego the email to choose my phone model and wasnt listed. So I asked them what to put in the dropdown list and they keep putting trouble tickets in and then resending the same dropdown request.

Im so frustrated, but I feel better now that you said you got a working code from them...how did you order?

thanks!!!

that was supposed to say... then got the email ...lol... spaz typing...lol

I know thay have a couple different pages, for carrier and for model etc. I was afraid to choose "all T-Mobile" because that hasnt worked for me with anyone else....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Done!!!

My Defy is now unlocked! :)

Site/mail: swiftunlocks@gmail.com
    Response time: 3 days
    Support: good
    Cost: 20 $
    Defy network: Vodafone Spain
    Defy codes: BT33, NY (dec 2010)
    Result: 1 (16 digits) code supplied that worked like a charm :)
    Hello for All!
    Comrades from Motofan.ru found a way to soft unlock Defy.
    http://forum.motofan.ru/index.php?showtopic=1728077&st=80
    Great Thanks for Yakk!
    http://forum.motofan.ru/index.php?showuser=90408

this method is tied to the radio version!
    Need cyanogenmod!
    Need by rootExplorer (pre-making Backup!) to throw a folder system with the attached archive to the root file system android.
    After that, reboot and see the result.

If it does not - we do wipe.

Best regards.
    AstaRoth from motofan.ru
    Sorry my bad English
    Actually, if you've been a customer for a few years they will give it to you contract price or not. I've never had an issue. However with wifi calling (and the fact that I really need my regular number for my work) I'm less motivated.
    Network unlocks are permanent. Flashing a different ROM will not re-lock your phone...

Hi guys,
    sorry for the stupid questions, but I haven't experience on locked phones.
    I have bought an unlocked vodafone defy: if I flash on another ROM (one with Froyo posted here on XDA e.g.), I need to unlock the phone again? Or the unlock is permanent ? Or the costum ROMs are unlocked?

Many thanks!
    Got my code from swiftunlocks@gmail.com in 2 days 20$
    Excellent service.