[GUIDE] How to Root the HTC EVO 3D [Video Walkthrough]

Search This thread

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
A big thanks to Bentenrai and his initial thread for rooting the EVO 3D, off which I created this guide, eugene373 for the temp root solution, Team Win, UnrEVOked and AlphaRev, and anyone else that has helped make this happen.

Some of you may know my video guides from the EVO and I'm bringing those simple tutorials to the EVO 3D. This guide is a complete video walkthrough on how to root the EVO 3D with edits based on the issues that some may run into with previous guides. Without further ado, let's get started!

LINK TO VIDEO WALKTHROUGH FOR HOW TO ROOT THE EVO 3D

◄●REQUIRED DOWNLOADS●►

Just download, do not install or run anything yet.

◄●Instructions●►

This guide starts by temp rooting the phone so that we can back up our apps and all their data. If you don't want to do this, you can skip to the Full Root Section.

◄●Temp Root to Backup Apps●►

1. Keep your phone unplugged and restart it
  2. Make sure that HTC Sync is not installed on your computer
    1. Click the Start button in Windows
    2. Type uninstall a program in the search box and hit Enter
    3. Make sure HTC Sync does not show up in the list. If it does, uninstall it
  3. Download the HTC Driver Pack and the Temp Root File
  4. Double click and install the HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe you just downloaded
  5. Unzip the RW_EVO_3D file by right clicking and selecting Extract All
  6. On your phone, go to Menu>Settings>Applications>Development and make sure USB debugging is CHECKED
  7. On your computer, open the RW_EVO_3D folder that you just extracted and run the Run_ME_Fr3vo_ROOT batch file by double clicking.
  8. Plug in your phone when you see "waiting for device" in the command prompt. It will then initiate the temporary root.
  9. On your phone, download Titanium Backup from the Android Market and open it.
  10. Hit the Menu button on your phone and select Batch.
  11. Under the Backup section, click "RUN" for Backup all user apps

◄●Full Root Section●►

This is the full root section for those that don't care about backing up their apps.

◄●Clear Traces of Past Temp Root●►

1. Clear all traces of the temporary root
    1. On your phone, go to Menu>Settings>SD & phone storage
    2. Select Factory data reset
    3. Click Reset Phone
    4. Click Erase Everything and your phone will reboot and do the factory reset
  2. When the phone restarts, unlock the phone and skip through the whole setup wizard
  3. Go to Menu>Settings>Applications>Development and make USB Debugging is CHECKED
  4. Go to the Dialer(Phone) and dial ##3282#
  5. Select View Mode
  6. Select Data Profile
  7. Write down the email under "User Name" (this may get erased in the root process. If we write this down, we can just put it back in after root if the Profile Update fails)

◄●Install Android SDK●►

1. On your computer download the Android SDK for your OS (this guide will work with Windows and Linux). This guide uses the r12 Windows Installer.
  2. Run the exe file that you just downloaded by double clicking on it and install the Android SDK. I change the install location to C:/android-sdk
    • If you don't have Java installed, click the link it gives you, download JDK Java SE 6 and select your OS (I'm on Windows 64bit). Run the file and install Java. Once complete, just hit Back on the Android SDK installer and then Next.

◄●Install Drivers and Prepare for Root●►

1. Make sure your phone is NOT connected to the computer.
  2. Make sure that HTC Sync is not installed on your computer (if you didn't do the temp root section)
  3. Download the HTC Driver Pack (if you didn't do the temp root section) and install the HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe you just downloaded.
  4. Plug in your phone to the computer. If it asks where to install drivers from, just select Install Automatically.
  5. Download the Revolutionary Exploit by selecting your OS (I'm using Windows).
  6. Leave the page open as we will use it later
  7. Right click the revolutionary file you just downloaded by right clicking and selecting Extract All.
  8. Download the TWRP Recovery - Download PG86IMG.zip version or just click this direct link.
  9. Go to the this PG86IMG-twrp-shooter zip file that you just downloaded and rename it "PG86IMG" with NO .zip at the end. Your computer knows its a zip file.
  10. Put your phone into disk drive mode by dragging down the notification bar, click Charge Only and change it to Disk Drive mode.
  11. On your computer, transfer the PG86IMG zip file to the phone. Don't put it inside any folder, just drag it on the the Removable Disk that is your phone and wait for it to transfer.

◄●Apply S-Off and Flash Recovery●►

1. Go to the revolutionary exploit folder that you extracted and run the "revolutionary" application file that is inside by double clicking.
  2. It will give you your serial number. If it doesn't this can be found under your battery on your phone or on the box your phone came in. Open up the revolutionary.io page that we left open (after downloading the exploit) and put this serial number into the Serial Number section.
  3. Select your operating system, device, and HBOOT version (also shown in the command prompt from the revolutionary exploit that we are running).
  4. Click Generate Key and type the key it gives you into the open command prompt and hit enter. Let it the exploit run. It may reboot a few times.
  5. It will ask if you want to install ClockworkMod recovery. I select n for No, but you can say yes. It may crash. If it does. Just skip it. We will install a recovery now anyways.
  6. Your phone should now be in Fastboot and say S-Off at the top. Use the Volume Down button to go down to Power Down. Click the power button on your phone to select it.
  7. Take off the back of the phone and take out the battery for 10 seconds.
  8. Put the battery back in, put the back on, HOLD the Volume Down button and then press and HOLD the Power Button at the same time and it will boot into HBOOT .
  9. It will ask if you want to start update (of the PG86IMG.zip that we put on the phone). Press Volume Up for yes.

◄●Install Superuser Permissions●►

1. When it is done, we need to delete the file. So press the Power Button to reboot the phone and let it start up. PLUG IN your phone while its booting up.
  2. Your phone will go through Hands Free Activation. Let it do this and then press OK.
  3. Let it do the PRL Update and press OK.
  4. Cancel the firmware update or just wait for it to fail.
  5. Drag down the notification bar and put your phone into disk drive mode. If it doesn't show up, unplug your phone and plug it back in.
  6. On your computer, delete the PG86IMG.zip from your phone.
  7. Download this Superuser file and transfer it to the phone to the same location as the deleted PG86IMG (i.e. not inside any folder, just directly on the phone).
  8. Power off the phone(hold the Power Button and select Power Off)
  9. Wait for it to completely turn off. Once off hold down the Volume Down button and the Power Button to boot into HBOOT. If it doesn't boot into HBOOT, take out the battery, put it back in, and try again.
  10. Use the Volume Down button to go down to Recovery and select it by pressing the Power Button
  11. Once in recovery, select Install Zip (by pressing the power button)
  12. Select Choose Zip to Flash (by pressing the power button)
  13. Use the Volume Down button to go down to the superuser zip file that we put on the phone and select it by pressing the Power Button.
  14. It will install quickly. Use the Volume Down button to go down to Reboot and select it with the Power Button
  15. You are now complete rooted with S-Off and a custom recovery. Once booted, you can login to Google, download Titanium Backup, and Restore your apps by opening TB, hitting Menu>Batch and selecting Restore all apps with data

You're now rooted!

◄●Notes●►

• I can't make calls or send text messages (Error 16): ~Thanks bk718~
    1. Make a phone call to anyone/any number and stay on the phone.
    2. It will automatically connect you to a particular sprint department that handles this issue. It should take just a couple minutes and they will fix the error.
  • Updating my profile fails:
    1. Download "MSL Reader" from the market and run it to get your MSL, a 6 digit number
    2. Go to the Dialer(Phone) and dial ##3282#
    3. Select Edit Mode
    4. Select Data Profile
    5. If it already shows your User Name, press Menu>Restore
    6. Input under "User Name" the email address that you wrote done before rooting.
    7. Press Menu>Commit Modifications

Last edited:

bk718

Jun 23, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Reactions: almokadmen

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
nice guide but you don't have to backup any apps as apps aren't touched when rooting, see this guide also: http://htcevohacks.com/htc-evo-3d-hacks/how-to-root-htc-evo-3d/

Hey Max,

Yes you're right. I just find it beneficial to do the quick temp root to back everything up in case anything goes wrong. I also always feel having a clean slate is the best way to go. Because of that, you'd need to backup prior to rooting. Thanks for the feedback and nice work on your site.

djR3Z

supahero00

Nov 30, 2009
so i tried everything in the book... still cant flash... problem: invalid beta key. is there any way to get a new one?

thanks in advance

Jye75

Jul 1, 2008
Waterford, MI
I've followed these instructions to a T. But when I run Revolutionary, it says Root acquired, and reboots to Fastboot, but it still says S-On, and I cannot continue with the instructions as written. Any ideas?

midnightmaraude

Sep 11, 2010
got it rooted ok. Had that error with the text messaging and phone calls. Interface radio shortage whatever it is error. I even loaded synergy rom and it still continued. Was on tech support for about an hour. Not fun. That kink needs to be worked out guys.

lbhocky19

Feb 18, 2007
got it rooted ok. Had that error with the text messaging and phone calls. Interface radio shortage whatever it is error. I even loaded synergy rom and it still continued. Was on tech support for about an hour. Not fun. That kink needs to be worked out guys.

whats the error and whats the solution cause i can't send any texts right now...

supahero00

Nov 30, 2009
Yeah. I even hard reset my phone and put it back to s-on. (had s-off but my internet failed b4 the clock work mod was installed) so I thought that was the problem but I guess not. I've only gotten 2 beta keys so far. Should I try another internet browser or something? Racking my brain on what the problem is.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
I've followed these instructions to a T. But when I run Revolutionary, it says Root acquired, and reboots to Fastboot, but it still says S-On, and I cannot continue with the instructions as written. Any ideas?

Try doing another factory reset on your phone, turning fastboot off, and running it again. These auto-roots are sometimes finicky.

whats the error and whats the solution cause i can't send any texts right now...

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Added a "Notes" section to the guide that addresses this and any other issues that come up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A big thanks to Bentenrai and his initial thread for rooting the EVO 3D, off which I created this guide, eugene373 for the temp root solution, Team Win, UnrEVOked and AlphaRev, and anyone else that has helped make this happen.

Some of you may know my video guides from the EVO and I'm bringing those simple tutorials to the EVO 3D. This guide is a complete video walkthrough on how to root the EVO 3D with edits based on the issues that some may run into with previous guides. Without further ado, let's get started!

LINK TO VIDEO WALKTHROUGH FOR HOW TO ROOT THE EVO 3D

◄●REQUIRED DOWNLOADS●►

Just download, do not install or run anything yet.

◄●Instructions●►

This guide starts by temp rooting the phone so that we can back up our apps and all their data. If you don't want to do this, you can skip to the Full Root Section.

◄●Temp Root to Backup Apps●►

1. Keep your phone unplugged and restart it
    2. Make sure that HTC Sync is not installed on your computer
    3. Download the HTC Driver Pack and the Temp Root File
    4. Double click and install the HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe you just downloaded
    5. Unzip the RW_EVO_3D file by right clicking and selecting Extract All
    6. On your phone, go to Menu>Settings>Applications>Development and make sure USB debugging is CHECKED
    7. On your computer, open the RW_EVO_3D folder that you just extracted and run the Run_ME_Fr3vo_ROOT batch file by double clicking.
    8. Plug in your phone when you see "waiting for device" in the command prompt. It will then initiate the temporary root.
    9. On your phone, download Titanium Backup from the Android Market and open it.
    10. Hit the Menu button on your phone and select Batch.
    11. Under the Backup section, click "RUN" for Backup all user apps

◄●Full Root Section●►

This is the full root section for those that don't care about backing up their apps.

◄●Clear Traces of Past Temp Root●►

1. Clear all traces of the temporary root
      1. On your phone, go to Menu>Settings>SD & phone storage
      2. Select Factory data reset
      3. Click Reset Phone
      4. Click Erase Everything and your phone will reboot and do the factory reset
    2. When the phone restarts, unlock the phone and skip through the whole setup wizard
    3. Go to Menu>Settings>Applications>Development and make USB Debugging is CHECKED
    4. Go to the Dialer(Phone) and dial ##3282#
    5. Select View Mode
    6. Select Data Profile
    7. Write down the email under "User Name" (this may get erased in the root process. If we write this down, we can just put it back in after root if the Profile Update fails)

◄●Install Android SDK●►

1. On your computer download the Android SDK for your OS (this guide will work with Windows and Linux). This guide uses the r12 Windows Installer.
    2. Run the exe file that you just downloaded by double clicking on it and install the Android SDK. I change the install location to C:/android-sdk
      • If you don't have Java installed, click the link it gives you, download JDK Java SE 6 and select your OS (I'm on Windows 64bit). Run the file and install Java. Once complete, just hit Back on the Android SDK installer and then Next.

◄●Install Drivers and Prepare for Root●►

1. Make sure your phone is NOT connected to the computer.
    2. Make sure that HTC Sync is not installed on your computer (if you didn't do the temp root section)
    3. Download the HTC Driver Pack (if you didn't do the temp root section) and install the HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe you just downloaded.
    4. Plug in your phone to the computer. If it asks where to install drivers from, just select Install Automatically.
    5. Download the Revolutionary Exploit by selecting your OS (I'm using Windows).
    6. Leave the page open as we will use it later
    7. Right click the revolutionary file you just downloaded by right clicking and selecting Extract All.
    8. Download the TWRP Recovery - Download PG86IMG.zip version or just click this direct link.
    9. Go to the this PG86IMG-twrp-shooter zip file that you just downloaded and rename it "PG86IMG" with NO .zip at the end. Your computer knows its a zip file.
    10. Put your phone into disk drive mode by dragging down the notification bar, click Charge Only and change it to Disk Drive mode.
    11. On your computer, transfer the PG86IMG zip file to the phone. Don't put it inside any folder, just drag it on the the Removable Disk that is your phone and wait for it to transfer.

◄●Apply S-Off and Flash Recovery●►

1. Go to the revolutionary exploit folder that you extracted and run the "revolutionary" application file that is inside by double clicking.
    2. It will give you your serial number. If it doesn't this can be found under your battery on your phone or on the box your phone came in. Open up the revolutionary.io page that we left open (after downloading the exploit) and put this serial number into the Serial Number section.
    3. Select your operating system, device, and HBOOT version (also shown in the command prompt from the revolutionary exploit that we are running).
    4. Click Generate Key and type the key it gives you into the open command prompt and hit enter. Let it the exploit run. It may reboot a few times.
    5. It will ask if you want to install ClockworkMod recovery. I select n for No, but you can say yes. It may crash. If it does. Just skip it. We will install a recovery now anyways.
    6. Your phone should now be in Fastboot and say S-Off at the top. Use the Volume Down button to go down to Power Down. Click the power button on your phone to select it.
    7. Take off the back of the phone and take out the battery for 10 seconds.
    8. Put the battery back in, put the back on, HOLD the Volume Down button and then press and HOLD the Power Button at the same time and it will boot into HBOOT .
    9. It will ask if you want to start update (of the PG86IMG.zip that we put on the phone). Press Volume Up for yes.

◄●Install Superuser Permissions●►

1. When it is done, we need to delete the file. So press the Power Button to reboot the phone and let it start up. PLUG IN your phone while its booting up.
    2. Your phone will go through Hands Free Activation. Let it do this and then press OK.
    3. Let it do the PRL Update and press OK.
    4. Cancel the firmware update or just wait for it to fail.
    5. Drag down the notification bar and put your phone into disk drive mode. If it doesn't show up, unplug your phone and plug it back in.
    6. On your computer, delete the PG86IMG.zip from your phone.
    7. Download this Superuser file and transfer it to the phone to the same location as the deleted PG86IMG (i.e. not inside any folder, just directly on the phone).
    8. Power off the phone(hold the Power Button and select Power Off)
    9. Wait for it to completely turn off. Once off hold down the Volume Down button and the Power Button to boot into HBOOT. If it doesn't boot into HBOOT, take out the battery, put it back in, and try again.
    10. Use the Volume Down button to go down to Recovery and select it by pressing the Power Button
    11. Once in recovery, select Install Zip (by pressing the power button)
    12. Select Choose Zip to Flash (by pressing the power button)
    13. Use the Volume Down button to go down to the superuser zip file that we put on the phone and select it by pressing the Power Button.
    14. It will install quickly. Use the Volume Down button to go down to Reboot and select it with the Power Button
    15. You are now complete rooted with S-Off and a custom recovery. Once booted, you can login to Google, download Titanium Backup, and Restore your apps by opening TB, hitting Menu>Batch and selecting Restore all apps with data

You're now rooted!

◄●Notes●►

• I can't make calls or send text messages (Error 16): ~Thanks bk718~
      1. Make a phone call to anyone/any number and stay on the phone.
      2. It will automatically connect you to a particular sprint department that handles this issue. It should take just a couple minutes and they will fix the error.
    • Updating my profile fails:
      1. Download "MSL Reader" from the market and run it to get your MSL, a 6 digit number
      2. Go to the Dialer(Phone) and dial ##3282#
      3. Select Edit Mode
      4. Select Data Profile
      5. If it already shows your User Name, press Menu>Restore
      6. Input under "User Name" the email address that you wrote done before rooting.
      7. Press Menu>Commit Modifications
    nice guide

nice guide but you don't have to backup any apps as apps aren't touched when rooting, see this guide also: http://htcevohacks.com/htc-evo-3d-hacks/how-to-root-htc-evo-3d/

Hey Max,

Yes you're right. I just find it beneficial to do the quick temp root to back everything up in case anything goes wrong. I also always feel having a clean slate is the best way to go. Because of that, you'd need to backup prior to rooting. Thanks for the feedback and nice work on your site.

djR3Z
    Very nice, clean guide. Will try it out when I get home.

yes.. and this is understood when the OP wrote: