[Q] What is the difference between classic Li-Ion battery and Li-Po batteries?

Search This thread
G

GuestX0057

noob but related question. if i am not using it, is it ok to keep it connected to the charger so it stays topped up? or better for battery longevity to run it down to say 30% or so and recharge. i am specifically talking about nexus 5. thanks.
also as one poster advised not to have it connected to charger while it is in use.....
how about when tethering (drains 6% per hour) or downloading (drains 16% per hour), keep it connected or not.
thanks again.
Better for the lifespan of the battery if you do a recharge from 50%-20%. Keeping it in the charger when not in use will do constant micro-charges and eventually wear out the battery sooner. And regarding tethering - if the combination of tethering and charging heats the phone up, then I would again advice against it. Heat will also decay the battery and it will do it faster than charging cycles.

chaco81

Sep 28, 2010
OH
Google Pixel 3 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Better for the lifespan of the battery if you do a recharge from 50%-20%. Keeping it in the charger when not in use will do constant micro-charges and eventually wear out the battery sooner. And regarding tethering - if the combination of tethering and charging heats the phone up, then I would again advice against it. Heat will also decay the battery and it will do it faster than charging cycles.

battery university has shown how partial charges are much better than full charges... it prolongs battery life (cycles), reduces heat build up and reduces stress

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

on your example, the device would spend more time on the charger to get it to a desired level... lets say 70-90%....which will be against the recomendations above

Reactions: akmsr
G

GuestX0057

battery university has shown how partial charges are much better than full charges... it prolongs battery life (cycles), reduces heat build up and reduces stress

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

on your example, the device would spend more time on the charger to get it to a desired level... lets say 70-90%....which will be against the recomendations above
Thanks for the link and I stand corrected. It's the first time I've read this :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen a lot of threads on other forums on this topic and actually didn't find the right answer to the question. It seems more of an philosophical question because some people say something and others something completely opposite. So if anybody who knows a bit more on the topic would like to describe and discuss this for a bit, I'd be really happy! =)

So: What is the difference in different aspects of normal Li-Ion batteries compared to Li-Ion Polymer batteries (like ones in our Nexus 5 devices)?

LiPo batteries are used because they can get a higher energy density in a smaller form factor, and the batteries can be "shaped" to any configuration.

The only real disadvantage is that the LiPo batteries don't typically have as good a recharge cycle life as LiIon, but that depends on so many factors that it's hard to pin down.
    It's still going to outlive the device , unless you're keeping it for ridiculous amount of years

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    It's still going to outlive the device , unless you're keeping it for ridiculous amount of years

Eh, LiPo batteries typically hit 70% capacity after about 700 charge cycles. It will still be usable, but if you compare day 1 battery life to day 800 battery life, you'll see a decrease.
    Eh, LiPo batteries typically hit 70% capacity after about 700 charge cycles. It will still be usable, but if you compare day 1 battery life to day 800 battery life, you'll see a decrease.

700 cycles = 2+ years = ridiculous ;)