[Announce][Kernel][AOSP]

Search This thread

Franxx

Jul 19, 2014
Lima
Finally!

Omg! I remember some days ago thinking why not somebody make a AOSP Kernel... Well here it is, thanks so much i will give it a try.

Awaiting for DT2W

D

Darth

Omg! I remember some days ago thinking why not somebody make a AOSP Kernel... Well here it is, thanks so much i will give it a try.

Awaiting for DT2W
Why would you need dt2w with active display as an option....and it doesn't hurt battery life. Dt2w takes a big toll on battery life as it won't run on the low voltage core. ;)

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
Why would you need dt2w with active display as an option....and it doesn't hurt battery life. Dt2w takes a big toll on battery life as it won't run on the low voltage core. ;)

DTw2 is cheap. Dunno where you got that. That's the point of specialized governors.

As for active display -- hopefully one day we'll get that working in AOSP/CAF kernels, but MOTO is not exactly forthcoming in their tricks.

D

Darth

DTw2 is cheap. Dunno where you got that. That's the point of specialized governors.

As for active display -- hopefully one day we'll get that working in AOSP/CAF kernels, but MOTO is not exactly forthcoming in their tricks.
Dt2w is "cheap" on the G2....why? Low voltage core.

Go read how it is on the N5. 2 to 3 percent battery drain on standby. And if the huge development community of the N5 can't crack the low voltage core to use for apps....I very much doubt the Moto kernels will figure it out. Its probably not possible.

Unless it runs on a low voltage core, it is terrible on the battery. You don't have to take my word for it..... You will see if/when its an option for the X. ;)

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW

Go read how it is on the N5. 2 to 3 percent battery drain on standby. And if the huge development community of the N5 can't crack the low voltage core to use for apps....I very much doubt the Moto kernels will figure it out. Its probably not possible.

Unless it runs on a low voltage core, it is terrible on the battery. You don't have to take my word for it..... You will see if/when its an option for the X. ;)

Already read the N5 games and sources. The drain here in moto x land won't be so much about cores (imho), it'll be about keeping the touch panel alive to detect touches. Cores are easy. TPs are always another story (they take power).

Hang in brother, -- I've heard this on other devices, we've always solved it. The key is the 'it' that runs on 'a core'. Low voltage core is interesting only to the extent it would solve a particular problem. We won't have that problem because we will remove the cycles of interest by low frequency testing for touch. Still working on it, but it'll work. There's no magic in kernels, just crap-work and testing.

As for sticking the TP up for touches, surely will have work to do.

LOL -- building test #5 now, and it's still borked :(. Just crap-work, I'll get it working and we'll get it. Never seen something unsolvable with kernels today. Just time to figure it up. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNerd:]
D

Darth

Already read the N5 games and sources. The drain here in moto x land won't be so much about cores (imho), it'll be about keeping the touch panel alive to detect touches. Cores are easy. TPs are always another story (they take power).

Hang in brother, -- I've heard this on other devices, we've always solved it. The key is the 'it' that runs on 'a core'. Low voltage core is interesting only to the extent it would solve a particular problem. We won't have that problem because we will remove the cycles of interest by low frequency testing for touch. Still working on it, but it'll work. There's no magic in kernels, just crap-work and testing.

LOL -- building test #5 now, and it's still borked :(. Just crap-work, I'll get it working and we'll get it. Never seen something unsolvable with kernels today. Just time to figure it up. ;)
Well, I hope you can make it not pummel the battery. But I still don't see how you'll do what oh so many N5 devs haven't been able to. :)

For the N5 especially, since there's no active display (for same reason....battery destroyer), dt2w is a nice feature, but only usable by those who are willing to charge twice as much as usual. So its very unpopular at this point.

Good luck tho! Maybe you can let the N5 devs know your secret if you succeed. ?

Franxx

Jul 19, 2014
Lima

I don't wanna sound rude or anything but it's probably because AOSP rom doesn't have Active Display. Have you considered that? Otherwise i'll stick with stock rom.

But to be honest i always come back to stock. I'm a noobie with all of roms, kernels and scripts. This is my third android phone and obviously this is the most exciting.

D

Darth

I don't wanna sound rude or anything but it's probably because AOSP rom doesn't have Active Display. Have you considered that? Otherwise i'll stick with stock rom.

But to be honest i always come back to stock. I'm a noobie with all of roms, kernels and scripts. This is my third android phone and obviously this is the most exciting.
I know why.....its how I am questioning.... Without the same battery drain the N5 gets with dt2w. The N5 has a low voltage core as well, with a pedometer... Lol....and its pretty much been found to be inaccessible for any other apps. And I imagine the same will be true of the X. ;)

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Let me explain a bit....

The X has active display and touch less control...

The N5 has an extremely useful (sarcasm) pedometer.....

The LG G2 has double tap to wake and?????....

All of these features run on a sort of low voltage core, that's why battery drain is minimal with those features on their devices. And no one yet has accessed those cores to put them to other uses. Even in the massive N5 development community. Yes, the N5 has dt2w as a feature on some custom kernels, and they've put timeouts on it now, but still its a battery hog....and less useful, since after the timeout period....you need to press power to wake dt2w again.

I was just asking the OP how he intends to solve this, or is he not worrying about the battery drain and trying to bring the feature to the X anyway, regardless of the bad battery drain. :)

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
or is he not worrying about the battery drain and trying to bring the feature to the X anyway

LOL -- seriously? Of course I worry about battery -- that's the whole point. But I want performance too. We'll get 'em both. I probably won't comment much more -- have plenty to do. Hang in, it's easy to doubt as progress goes.

Hang in -- it's not an overnight game. Test #6 about done, it'll be #20 before it gets good and releasable -- at least that's my bet at the moment.

Reactions: TheNerd:]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wanted to give the Moto X a little love for AOSP folks, particularly to include Sprint users -- they seem to get so little (and my kids love their Moto X / Sprint).

[KERNEL][AOSP 4.4.4|CAF][UNIFIED moto_msm8960dt][TDHK 07/16/2014]

Enjoy

or is he not worrying about the battery drain and trying to bring the feature to the X anyway

LOL -- seriously? Of course I worry about battery -- that's the whole point. But I want performance too. We'll get 'em both. I probably won't comment much more -- have plenty to do. Hang in, it's easy to doubt as progress goes.

Hang in -- it's not an overnight game. Test #6 about done, it'll be #20 before it gets good and releasable -- at least that's my bet at the moment.