ringtones changing to default after reboot

Search This thread

deano309

Nov 14, 2006
Bridgwater, Somerset
Thing is, with O2 they don't add bloat and I'm happy with their ROM, it's fast (ICS seems much faster than GB) and stable, which I guess we're lucky in that :)
I've set up a new sound set and tomorrow I'll be adding vids to watch on the train into London so will see how it goes.
Interesting though how it affects a Nexus device which I always thought was bare bones Android.

The Nexus is Google's current main device but it is customised in parts by Samsung as all manufacturers love to leave their mark (HTC did too when they had the Nexus contract!).

My Sensation is the standard 1.2GHz But with the XE Kernel, it performs at 1.5GHz... With a custom kernel, it's 1.8GHz (Although Not reccomended!)
Also, with undervolting I can save the tiniest amount of battery power and keep my device cooler at higher speeds or with overvolting I can acheive a better signal - none of which can I do with a Stock ROM.
I have used HTC Since the XDA BlueAngel and I don't beleive that HTC spend enough time developing and testing their software or hardware any more which is why there is such a call for custom ROMs and people on sites like this to develop.

I honestly don't know what O2 add as before I get a new phone, the first thing I look at is the ability to install custom ROMs onto it should I wish to ;)

I know "3" add just about everything in sight which to some people is usefull, but to me it's junk which is why I ALWAYS remove their software for either unbranded or custom.

The biggest plus for custom ROMs is that patches & updates are released a lot more quickly due to many people working on it (The true beauty of an open source OS).
But if you don't have (or can live with) the problems that some others are having then I agree that there is no need to update or customise.

So, to finish my ramblings (And my overuse of brackets)... it comes down to personal choice, I like using or making ROMs which suit my own needs whereas others, like yourself, are obviously happy with the stock ones provided. :D

Thanks.

xaccers

Jul 21, 2009
Milling around Milton Keynes
That's what I love about android, there are so many options, if you don't like the stock rom you can weigh up rooting and load a custom rom.

Anyway created a new sound set, still had the problem with sounds reverting to default this morning when I uploaded some vids to the phone, but at least selecting the sound set again put everything right in one go.
Looks like I'm going to have to root at some point then.

ChickenA

Mar 26, 2009
Sydney
What about people like me, who has a phone which is locked down and cannot be rooted (A Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro MK16A)?

d5grvty

Sep 15, 2008
Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I was having the same ringtone switching problem, and this came up in the search. I'm rooted and running Viper 1.6.3. I copied the ringtone and notifications I wanted to use over to the phone memory under /system/media/audio/ringtones and notifications, however the copied files don't show up when I go to select ringtones. The sounds I'm using are MP3 files, and worked off the sd card (apart from the switching issue).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

D5

Last edited:

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I was having the same ringtone switching problem, and this came up in the search. I'm rooted and running Viper 1.6.3. I copied the ringtone and notifications I wanted to use over to the phone memory under /system/media/audio/ringtones and notifications, however the copied files don't show up when I go to select ringtones. The sounds I'm using are MP3 files, and worked off the sd card (apart from the switching issue).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

D5

Make sure you set up correct permissions for the copied ringtone (check the permission of any ringtone which is already available and then apply the same to your ringtone) .. And then reboot then only they show up

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda premium

Reactions: d5grvty

d5grvty

Sep 15, 2008
Thanks ganeshp, users like yourself is why I buy android phones! Goog should put you on their payroll! LOL

Reactions: ganeshp

palito1980

Dec 1, 2010
My Alcatel One Touch Idol 6030x resetes all system sounds to defalut after I switch it off. This is stock ROM, not rooted.

kevmeister46

Oct 7, 2010
my stock one x started doing this the other day after a factory reset. mine was a simple fix, I have Audio Manager installed and didn't realise as well as applying the volume it was applying the default ring tone as well (Doh!). Just applied the custom ringtone in Audio Manager and on reboot Audio Manager now applies my custom tone. :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's not a HTC issue, it's a gingerbread/ics issue.
    Although HTC could fix it I suppose by releasing an app that allows you to copy ringtones to the phone memory.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

D5

Make sure you set up correct permissions for the copied ringtone (check the permission of any ringtone which is already available and then apply the same to your ringtone) .. And then reboot then only they show up

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda premium
    Thanks ganeshp, users like yourself is why I buy android phones! Goog should put you on their payroll! LOL