Help! OTA - Rebooting

Search This thread

Quantumstate

Feb 6, 2010
I got a message on my XT1053 Dev that there's a system update. (I'm running stock) I let it download, and then it wanted to reboot. Ok, but it came up in TWRP. I tried rebooting from TWRP every way, but it would not go into maintenance so it could flash the new firmware.

Now whenever I boot it normally, it comes up, and then immediately shuts down, I guess because it wants to upgrade.

What is wrong with this thing?

danny39

Jun 26, 2009
Chicago, IL
I got a message on my XT1053 Dev that there's a system update. (I'm running stock) I let it download, and then it wanted to reboot. Ok, but it came up in TWRP. I tried rebooting from TWRP every way, but it would not go into maintenance so it could flash the new firmware.

Now whenever I boot it normally, it comes up, and then immediately shuts down, I guess because it wants to upgrade.

You must be on stock recovery in order to OTA update. Try going into adb and flashing back to stock recovery and it should work.

Make sure you have mfastboot set up and working, if you need the file respond to this post and I can supply it for you.

Download the stock recovery from here (and make sure it's in your "android" folder)

Boot your phone into fastboot with
adb reboot bootloader

-OR-

While the phone is off, hold the PWR button and the Volume Down buttons at the same time for ~5 seconds. Release the PWR button ONLY and continue holding Volume Down until you see the fastboot screen.

Next

Then in adb on your computer perform:
mfastboot flash recovery *filename*
mfastboot reboot

When it reboots into the OS it should try to install the update again, like you said it was doing. When it reboots it should update correctly via stock recovery.
Emphasis on should. I can't guaruntee this will work but this is based on my prior knowledge and experience. Good luck and report back with success/problems!

Last edited:
Reactions: Quantumstate

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010

There's nothing wrong with this thing....

All of the guides here exist for a reason. One responsibility you have once you have decided to root your device or install custom recovery, is that when a new OTA comes out, you must check back here at XDA to see what the procedure for installing it is.

All of the guides here tell you that you MUST have stock recovery in order to accept any updates.

Here's how you will fix it:

Boot into TWRP. Clear your cache. This will prevent the constant reboots.

Now, use fastboot to flash back the stock recovery. You will need to download the 4.4.2 SBF for your XT1053 from here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

Extract the archive. You only need one file: recovery.img

You should already have the android SDK installed since you unlocked your BL and flashed TWRP. Use fastboot to flash the stock recovery:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Now you can accept the OTA from your phone. You may need to go to Settings > About Phone > System Updates and re-download it.

The OTA should now successfully install (assuming you aren't using Xposed or made any other modifications).

Now, you can flash TWRP recovery back. Let us know how it works out for you...

Quantumstate

Feb 6, 2010
Thanks, but the update was unsuccessful.

I seem to remember that the update checks existing files, and if one has the wrong CRC it fails. Well I'm stock but rooted. It is a develoepr's phone and there is no developer's image on those sites.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010

I seem to remember that the update checks existing files, and if one has the wrong CRC it fails. Well I'm stock but rooted. It is a develoepr's phone and there is no developer's image on those sites.

The GSM Developer edition uses the SAME exact software as the T-Mobile version. The T-Mobile variant has zero bloat, and no carrier branding. The only difference between the two is that you don't lose your warranty when you unlock the GSM Dev edition.

You're looking for the XT1053 T-Mobile SBF

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

Groid

May 7, 2010

I always seem to have something in /system that messes with the ota update. In addition to flashing stock recovery to replace twrp, I also flash system.img (with mfastboot only) from the same sbf as you get the recovery.img. Then the ota goes through without a hitch.

Quantumstate

Feb 6, 2010
Still Errors at the robot with spinning diamond heart, even with TMO_RETAIL_XT1053_4.4.2-KXA20.16-1.25_MR3_CFC.xml/recovery.img.

Looking around it seems that here are some rules. I think I'm violating #2: "Inside the OTA is a manifest file. It contains a list of files and their check sums it expects to be on your phone. If the files are missing, or the check sum for a particular file doesn't match (because you've replaced or altered the file), the OTA will fall." I've removed most of the G**gle junk since I don't trust them.

So if this is what they require, Hell with them. If it were possible to put multiboot on the Moto X I would have done it a long time ago. Maybe I can apply this OTA update in some other way? Without going through their rinky-dink tests?

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Still Errors at the robot with spinning diamond heart, even with TMO_RETAIL_XT1053_4.4.2-KXA20.16-1.25_MR3_CFC.xml/recovery.img.

Looking around it seems that here are some rules. I think I'm violating #2: "Inside the OTA is a manifest file. It contains a list of files and their check sums it expects to be on your phone. If the files are missing, or the check sum for a particular file doesn't match (because you've replaced or altered the file), the OTA will fall." I've removed most of the G**gle junk since I don't trust them.

So if this is what they require, Hell with them. If it were possible to put multiboot on the Moto X I would have done it a long time ago. Maybe I can apply this OTA update in some other way? Without going through their rinky-dink tests?

You are correct on the manifest.

Instead, just flash the entire stock SBF (TMO_RETAIL_XT1053_4.4.2-KXA20.16-1.25). The manual method is easiest.

Or you could just flash the system.img as the earlier poster suggested.

This will revert to stock, and you will have to reinstall your apps, but the OTA WILL work afterwards. You really should consider just 'freezing' the google apps instead of removing them this time...

The only other way you will be able to install the OTA is to put all the gapps back on...but I doubt you made a backup, right?

mfastboot flash system system.img

that should be all you need (beside stock recovery, of course). Then take the update, and finally do whatever mods you want remembering that you will HAVE to un-do the mods to be able to accept future OTAs without returning to 100% stock again.

Good Luck

Reactions: Quantumstate

Groid

May 7, 2010
Flashing system.img will not require you to reinstall your downloaded apps, just apps you installed as system apps via root access. Downloaded apps are in the /data/app partition that is not affected by a system.img flash.

Quantumstate

Feb 6, 2010
I finally went this route. I'm not putting up with their OTA requirements; I'll get the upgrade without them. Although, that 4.3 sure has alot of G**gle and Motorola bloatware to remove.

With Xposed, GravityBox (and other modules) I now have the flexibility I was looking for.

Now all I need is a better dialer than the crappy G**gle one, and secure SMS.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You must be on stock recovery in order to OTA update. Try going into adb and flashing back to stock recovery and it should work.

Make sure you have mfastboot set up and working, if you need the file respond to this post and I can supply it for you.

Download the stock recovery from here (and make sure it's in your "android" folder)

Boot your phone into fastboot with
    adb reboot bootloader

-OR-

While the phone is off, hold the PWR button and the Volume Down buttons at the same time for ~5 seconds. Release the PWR button ONLY and continue holding Volume Down until you see the fastboot screen.

Next

Then in adb on your computer perform:
    mfastboot flash recovery *filename*
    mfastboot reboot

When it reboots into the OS it should try to install the update again, like you said it was doing. When it reboots it should update correctly via stock recovery.
    Emphasis on should. I can't guaruntee this will work but this is based on my prior knowledge and experience. Good luck and report back with success/problems!

You are correct on the manifest.

Instead, just flash the entire stock SBF (TMO_RETAIL_XT1053_4.4.2-KXA20.16-1.25). The manual method is easiest.

Or you could just flash the system.img as the earlier poster suggested.

This will revert to stock, and you will have to reinstall your apps, but the OTA WILL work afterwards. You really should consider just 'freezing' the google apps instead of removing them this time...

The only other way you will be able to install the OTA is to put all the gapps back on...but I doubt you made a backup, right?

mfastboot flash system system.img

that should be all you need (beside stock recovery, of course). Then take the update, and finally do whatever mods you want remembering that you will HAVE to un-do the mods to be able to accept future OTAs without returning to 100% stock again.

Good Luck