iGO works in realVGA 96 dpi!!!!!

Search This thread

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
In the past, I was always using 128 dpi and never really gave 96dpi a chance.

This morning, I accidentally discovered that my favourite car navigation GPS actually works in 96 dpi, although I had always thought that it only works in 192dpi. The only flaw is that I must use it in portrait mode, as it still does not work in landscape mode.

Like I mentioned in several post, iGO is my most preferred GPS software primarily due to the unbeatable visual beauty, speed, ease of use, and most importantly the ability to warn me if I exceed the road's legal speed limit. That has saves me hundreds in traffic fines and risk of license suspension.

Looks like enough reason for me to move to 96dpi, despite the more challenging font size. In a way I love the amount of real estate I have on my today screen.

I'm now officially a 96dpi convert!:)

Sorry, I'm just so excited about this. The more I use this device, the more "novelty" I get! I'm getting more excited with Athena the more I use it. Learning new things every day! The best toy I've owned in my life, yet so essential, and I feel I can no longer live my life without it. :D.

Last edited:

HeartOfDarkness

May 15, 2006
Marseille
www.digi-topia.net
I have to test this, but it's extremely poorly distributed in France, alas. I don't even know if it IS distributed in France, actually... :-S

TomTom was my satnav solution of choice since I've been upgrading the same license for the last 5 years, but I'm getting tired of its many shortcomings... :-S

Good to know it works at this resolution, since it's the reason why the Athena rocks imho. :)

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
I have to test this, but it's extremely poorly distributed in France, alas. I don't even know if it IS distributed in France, actually... :-S

TomTom was my satnav solution of choice since I've been upgrading the same license for the last 5 years, but I'm getting tired of its many shortcomings... :-S

Good to know it works at this resolution, since it's the reason why the Athena rocks imho. :)

Is speeding fine hefty in France? Do you have some sort of demerit point system where if you exceed the quota in a given period your license is suspeded? Here in Australia, I somehow had managed to attract speeding ticket very often despite trying to be very careful. So I'm very sensitive to this issue. I just had a suspension slapped on me not so long ago. That's why iGO is my preferred GPS. I just let my Copilot's license lapse. I also have Tom Tom which I use less frequently. Tom Tom is okay, except it does not have audio warning for speeding. I understand that one of the versions (which might be on dedicated GPS device) allows users to add and delete roads as well as to enter in the missing speed limit. I don't know if it has audio warning or still only display by color if your exceed speed. Do you know anything about this?

HeartOfDarkness

May 15, 2006
Marseille
www.digi-topia.net
Yes, you can also do that on the Navigator 6 version, either paying a yearly service for radar notification, or for free by adding specifically designed "POI" (Point of interest) including radar positions, that are freely available from websites (as least here in France). But there is no real "warning", so it's not really useful.

In France, we use a separate software called "Vitesse limite" that provides iGo-style warnigs, I guess, but does not have other satnav functionnalities.

Yes, we also have a "point-driver-license", as we call it, here, and stricter and stricter legislation about speeding. And having the satnav solution on the Athena warn me about incoming "boogies" while providing regular satnav functionalities really sounds good, so I guess I'm gonna have to find a way to try it. :)

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
Yes, you can also do that on the Navigator 6 version, either paying a yearly service for radar notification, or for free by adding specifically designed "POI" (Point of interest) including radar positions, that are freely available from websites (as least here in France). But there is no real "warning", so it's not really useful.

In France, we use a separate software called "Vitesse limite" that provides iGo-style warnigs, I guess, but does not have other satnav functionnalities.

Yes, we also have a "point-driver-license", as we call it, here, and stricter and stricter legislation about speeding. And having the satnav solution on the Athena warn me about incoming "boogies" while providing regular satnav functionalities really sounds good, so I guess I'm gonna have to find a way to try it. :)

The POI fixed speed detection camera is a feature present in almost all GPS software. It is the speed on regular road which is a concern as cops here do surprise us regularly with their mobile radar, which cannot be handled by the POI method.

I think you'll like it after trying it.

apd

Dec 8, 2006
London
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
In the past, I was always using 128 dpi and never really gave 96dpi a chance.

This morning, I accidentally discovered that my favourite car navigation GPS actually works in 96 dpi, although I had always thought that it only works in 192dpi. The only flaw is that I must use it in portrait mode, as it still does not work in landscape mode.

Like I mentioned in several post, iGO is my most preferred GPS software primarily due to the unbeatable visual beauty, speed, ease of use, and most importantly the ability to warn me if I exceed the road's legal speed limit. That has saves me hundreds in traffic fines and risk of license suspension.

Looks like enough reason for me to move to 96dpi, despite the more challenging font size. In a way I love the amount of real estate I have on my today screen.

I'm now officially a 96dpi convert!:)

Sorry, I'm just so excited about this. The more I use this device, the more "novelty" I get! I'm getting more excited with Athena the more I use it. Learning new things every day! The best toy I've owned in my life, yet so essential, and I feel I can no longer live my life without it. :D.

How do you get this to work. I have tried this without success. Could you possibly post a copy of your sys.txt.

By the way, as I understand it, the next Igo woll work perfectly in VGA - about time too!

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
How do you get this to work. I have tried this without success. Could you possibly post a copy of your sys.txt.

By the way, as I understand it, the next Igo woll work perfectly in VGA - about time too!

While using the USB mass storage thingy, somehow my device triggered the autorun program in my iGO and did a reinstallation while I was in 96dpi. I think it is the reinstallation while in this mode that fixed it. It was previously installed in 192 dpi. Make sure you're in the portrait mode when you reinstall.

Let me know if this works because I would also like to know why out of a sudden it started working.

Cheers.

apd

Dec 8, 2006
London
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
While using the USB mass storage thingy, somehow my device triggered the autorun program in my iGO and did a reinstallation while I was in 96dpi. I think it is the reinstallation while in this mode that fixed it. It was previously installed in 192 dpi. Make sure you're in the portrait mode when you reinstall.

Let me know if this works because I would also like to know why out of a sudden it started working.

Cheers.

Ta - I'll try that tonight.

Confucious

Dec 24, 2005
Surrey
Glad you got it working eaglesteve.
In the UK most speeding offenses are caught by cameras but the only time I have been caught (so far) was a video camera in a police car, luckily I had just slowed down so was only doing 94MPH - that was 3 years ago and on fast roads I still drive fast but usually in the UK apart fromn the cameras, they don't seem to worry to much if you're driving safely.

What's the betting I get done for speeding now I've said that!

HeartOfDarkness

May 15, 2006
Marseille
www.digi-topia.net
Got it working without having to re-install !

I can provide info on how to do it, depending on the version (modifications change between iGo, iGo Plus and iGo8). :)

eaglesteve, do you alos have a kind of "flickering of the screen", also, with parts of line that flicker on the screen here and there ?

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
Got it working without having to re-install !

I can provide info on how to do it, depending on the version (modifications change between iGo, iGo Plus and iGo8). :)

eaglesteve, do you alos have a kind of "flickering of the screen", also, with parts of line that flicker on the screen here and there ?

Yes I get about four flickeing lines that move upward.

Please share with us what you've learned concerning things needed to happen for it to work?

HeartOfDarkness

May 15, 2006
Marseille
www.digi-topia.net
Well, actually, there's quite a lot of things to do and modify in configuration files. I think the best would be that I provide "ready to work" config. files to insert into the data.zip file for the people who need it.

So if you want your iGo to work @ 96 dpi, simply PM me. :)

I did it for iGo 2006 Plus and iGo8 (the MioMap version).

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
Well, actually, there's quite a lot of things to do and modify in configuration files. I think the best would be that I provide "ready to work" config. files to insert into the data.zip file for the people who need it.

So if you want your iGo to work @ 96 dpi, simply PM me. :)

I did it for iGo 2006 Plus and iGo8 (the MioMap version).

Good job!

Does yours flicker? Can you get it to also work in landscape mode?

I wonder why mine started working although I did not touch the data.zip file???

Last edited:

lakeman

Apr 30, 2006
toronto
after reading this thread I retried using igo2006se with real vga and I can load and use in 96 dpi.
it will load but the buttons dont work in 128 dpi
the trick is to have portrait selected in the settigs for igo before changing the screen resolution
The only setting to work in landscape is 196
cheers

sdl

Sep 9, 2007
I too love iGo 2006 plus, but on the Advantage, the default screen size shows only a small portion of the map that shows on my Wizard.

Meaning th Wizards default view shows me more streets around me. The Advantage seems to be "zoomed" in on its default screen.

Would this process you are speaking of show more of the map on the Advantages default screen?

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
I too love iGo 2006 plus, but on the Advantage, the default screen size shows only a small portion of the map that shows on my Wizard.

Meaning th Wizards default view shows me more streets around me. The Advantage seems to be "zoomed" in on its default screen.

Would this process you are speaking of show more of the map on the Advantages default screen?

It should show you as much streets, whether you're on 192 or 96 dpi. The differnce between Athena and the other device is that Athena show it on a larger screen, that's all, if the zooming level, etc are set to be the same. Different device per se should not affect the zooming level, I think.

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
after reading this thread I retried using igo2006se with real vga and I can load and use in 96 dpi.
it will load but the buttons dont work in 128 dpi
the trick is to have portrait selected in the settigs for igo before changing the screen resolution
The only setting to work in landscape is 196
cheers

It would not work in 128 dpi. Only 192 and 96 dpi would it work.