So the back on my Nexus 4 just shattered spontaneously...

Has your back glass broken yet?

• Total voters
Search This thread

OgremustCrush

Oct 13, 2006
I didn't drop it, didn't bang it against anything, nope-- it was just in my front pant pocket not being pressed on at all, covered by the official bumper case meant to protect it. Funny how it shattered perfectly around that speaker grill though, if there was a weak point in the glass that could cause a shatter, that would sure be the spot. Makes me wonder if anyone else has had a crack start in the same area, especially spontaneously?

Got a piece of tape on in it here in the picture, wanted to hold in the glass shards. I'd love to get it repaired, but I contacted Nexus and LG support and it sounds like their warranty process is a hole I don't want to dig myself into, probably would end up with a too large bill due to "physical damage" and a phone no more intact than it is now. Not to mention being out a phone for weeks, how can anyone tolerate that? Oh well, I guess I'll just have to take off my nice bumper case and cover up that now uglified back with a more full coverage TPU case.

2012-12-18

Update: Well I'm sure many would say I'm wrong and an impact caused it, but I'm reasonably certain I know when it happened. I work on robotic equipment and was doing a calibration procedure tonight when I heard an odd crack. At first I thought it was the machine, but the sound signature was wrong and repeating the procedure didn't cause it to reoccur. I was standing straight up not leaning on anything or having any pressure against that pocket when I heard the sound. It was only later when I was heading home I noticed the odd feel of the back of the phone and discovered the crack. I figure that crack sound must have been it. Shocked me, I've never had a phone crack before, I'm very careful how I handle them. Oh, and I don't wear skinny jeans - I'm build like a defensive lineman, so relaxed fit all the way.

Some people have suggested sending the phone to LG, but they don't have any advance replacement program, and I can't afford to go without my phone for 2 weeks just to get a repair estimate. Got my Diztronic TPU case on order, frankly this is the first phone in years I haven't used one of their cases on, my mistake for thinking the phone would be well built enough that the official case would do the job. I will have to look and see if my credit card has any extended warranty program thing though.

Update 2- So it looks like the damage might be covered under my credit card purchase assurance plan, I have to get an itemized repair estimate to complete the claim though. Hopefully a local place can give me that, like heck if I'm going to send the phone to LG for 2 weeks just for that. Frankly the cost of being without a good phone for that period is worth more to me than the cost of the repair, I'd rather just wait till the part becomes available and pay for it myself. It sounds like they also do replacements if repair isn't feasible due to parts not available, etc. Although the phone isn't currently available either, so we'll see how that goes.

On another note I spoke to one of my friends last night who works for a cell carrier that has many Nexus 4s on their network. She said that 3 employees at the location she works also had cracks on their Nexus 4's in almost the exact same spot. She didn't say they were spontaneous, but clearly it is a weak area on the back of the phone. At least one of them was using a full coverage case when it broke, apparently a TPU case. Alas as regretful the thought of covering such a nice looking back panel is, those who don't have broken backs yet may want to invest in high-impact cases, simple TPU or the bumper doesn't look to be cutting it. Since mine is already broken, TPU should be good enough I suppose, mainly just want to cover up the damage.

Last edited:

rbrucemtl

Nov 28, 2009
Montréal
Wow ...

If you search the forums there was one guy with the exact some thing... claimed he treated the phone very well and then for no reason all the glass smashed around the speaker like that.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1999345&highlight=cracked+glass

I didn't drop it, didn't bang it against anything, nope-- it was just in my front pant pocket not being pressed on at all, covered by the official bumper case meant to protect it. Funny how it shattered perfectly around that speaker grill though, if there was a weak point in the glass that could cause a shatter, that would sure be the spot. Makes me wonder if anyone else has had a crack start in the same area, especially spontaneously?

Got a piece of tape on in it here in the picture, wanted to hold in the glass shards. I'd love to get it repaired, but I contacted Nexus and LG support and it sounds like their warranty process is a hole I don't want to dig myself into, probably would end up with a too large bill due to "physical damage" and a phone no more intact than it is now. Not to mention being out a phone for weeks, how can anyone tolerate that? Oh well, I guess I'll just have to take off my nice bumper case and cover up that now uglified back with a more full coverage TPU case.

2012-12-18

CMNein

Apr 23, 2012
Calgary
Looks like the crack propagated from the picture's top right "corner" of the speaker opening. Assuming that it is not the result of an impact as you say, the radius of the cut out could be too tight to account for flexing of the phone.

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
I didn't drop it, didn't bang it against anything, nope-- it was just in my front pant pocket not being pressed on at all, covered by the official bumper case meant to protect it. Funny how it shattered perfectly around that speaker grill though, if there was a weak point in the glass that could cause a shatter, that would sure be the spot. Makes me wonder if anyone else has had a crack start in the same area, especially spontaneously.
Uh, pretty sure official bumpers aren't meant to protect that. it's meant to make the phone land on its bumper edges. Not protect the phone's back or front. Only protection for that would be having your device to never touch the surface.

OgremustCrush

Oct 13, 2006
Well I'm sure many would say I'm wrong and an impact caused it, but I'm reasonably certain I know when it happened. I work on robotic equipment and was doing a calibration procedure tonight when I heard an odd crack. At first I thought it was the machine, but the sound signature was wrong and repeating the procedure didn't cause it to reoccur. I was standing straight up not leaning on anything or having any pressure against that pocket when I heard the sound. It was only later when I was heading home I noticed the odd feel of the back of the phone and discovered the crack. I figure that crack sound must have been it. Shocked me, I've never had a phone crack before, I'm very careful how I handle them.

m3lover1

Jun 12, 2010
California
Man that sucks. Also recall another user that had the same shattering. Assume you ate going to give Google a call? Did the other guy get a replacement for his phone?

denis_y_s

Aug 29, 2010
New York

2012-12-18

This guy has an OEM back covers, you can replace it if you want, shouldn't be too expensive.

OgremustCrush

Oct 13, 2006
Uh, pretty sure official bumpers aren't meant to protect that. it's meant to make the phone land on its bumper edges. Not protect the phone's back or front. Only protection for that would be having your device to never touch the surface.

Well somewhat, a bumper still protects the back by distributing an impact along the edges of the phone as long as it is from a source wide enough it does not point through that perimeter. Drop a phone with a bumper 4 feet onto a flat surface vs one without, odds are the bumper will save the first phone. As I was not whacking my pocket against sharp edges, I don't see how having a bumper vs a full case would make a difference here.

itsfozzy

May 31, 2010
This is reminding me of a time when the back window on a what was a virtually brand new Fiat Cinquecento shattered whilst parked in my drive. Fiat replaced it under warranty as these things happen from time to time. It was a hot day, and the glass ran out of room to expand (and the seal was not fitted properly), and it just shattered, I'm wondering if the glass expands at a different rate to the rest of the phone back, when it gets warm. If this is the case, then this problem will become very common.

Reactions: elcaro

ketjr81

Aug 15, 2008
Seattle
Another guy wearing skinny jeans messing up his phone? j/k

I would be fairly pissed off if this happened to me, that and I'm sure 99% would just think I'm full of it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Obviously impact. Nice try though. Next.

I voided my warranty.
    I'm just throwing in my 2¢ into this discussion. I got this phone about 2 weeks ago and have been pretty gentle with it. No case, but I've never been much of a case person. I put the phone in my front pocket mostly, and I don't wear too skinny jeans. I actually didn't notice the issue until I was wondering why I was getting a slight side glare from my pictures, especially when it was sunny. That's when I noticed a series of hairline fractures along the back, one of which was quite close to the camera lens. It doesn't make the phone unworkable, obviously, but it's pretty amazing the thing is so fragile, and it does affect my picture taking ability. You can barely see it in the picture (unlike the clearer picture where there was a clearer impact spot) Maybe I move to the new Samsung?

Yes please move to Samsung.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
    While this is an obvious troll thread I feel i should fight back and talk of my experience. I have dropped the phone around 10 times since i got it a month ago, from heights between 3 to 1 feet. There isn't a single scratch anywhere. I am seriously starting to believe apple is just paying people to break their nexus 4 and lie about it in xda and other places in exchange for money.

This phone is the most amazing thing created on earth and you all know it. Its a solid well built phone that can do anything ranging from making phone calls to playing video games to identifying obscure music to finding a chinese bride.
    Well I guess Gorilla Glass 2 is...*puts on glasses* ...not all it's cracked up to be.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH
    Yeah I agree, at first I didn't like the bumper, however after using it for two weeks I'll probably keep it on. With a TPU case unfortunately the phone just looks like an iphone, which I didn't like. In the bumper it looks really sexy, and I can't under state just how nice the glass feels to hold with the bumper.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
    I've got a white $3.00 china wave s-line tpu case and the thing looks sexy. Fit, finish and looks is top notch. So glad I got this and didn't wait for the bumper.

With or without a TPU case the Nexus looks NOTHING like an iPhone at all. Why an iPhone comparison? Can we stop comparing the Nexus to a glorified dumbphone already?

A Nexus looks how it looks....Others may look like it. It doesn't look like them :)