[Q] HTC One Stolen: Assitance please!

Search This thread

vincent-h

Feb 25, 2009
Recently got the new HTC ONE through Telus and little over a couple days it has been stolen from me.

I'm wondering now if there is any way for me to track it on regular google account and facebook has been setup on it, but the phone does have a secure security code to unlock the screen.

Does the carrier have anyway of finding this if someone tries to stick in another SIM? Granted they are also a telus user or am I hooped on this one?

I'm assuming a person with the right know-how or buddy could likely access the boot load reset the thing and unlock it and use it, but i'm hoping this isn't the case and I can still track it via some other way?

Thanks,

V

Chund3r

Feb 27, 2011
Baltimore, MD
HTC use to offer the ability to track your phone if it was powered on. Or you could remotely lock and/or wipe the device. This was through the HTC sense website. I don't know if they still offer this feature or not. If they don't I'd recommend calling your carriers support line and see what they can do.

Sent from my Nexus 10

shook187

Oct 1, 2010
Haverhill MA
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I doubt anything's gonna come about this. Phones get lost or stolen every day and even with todays technology very few get found or returned. Also police have better things to do then track someone's lost phone. And I say lost better than stolen because how are you sure that the phone was stolen and not lost? Did you get held up or did the person physically took it off for you?

I would suggest getting insurance next time.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

prjkthack

Jan 4, 2009
Eagan, MN
www.prjkthack.com
Short answer: No.

Android has no built-in phone tracking capability. This is something you need to have installed yourself on the phone, or something the manufacturer includes. HTC used to do this, but no longer offers the feature.

Report your device stolen to the carrier (you may also report it to the police, but they won't do anything), so that when someone uses it on the network, they won't be able to. Most carriers will not alert you that your device has been found or anything like that. They simply blacklist the IMEI and that's it. If you don't have insurance, then you are pretty much on your own.

Your carrier may offer their own location tracking capability that you can add to your account, and that may allow you to track the phone (if they haven't already wiped the phone and removed your SIM card). Check with your carrier.

vincent-h

Feb 25, 2009
Short answer: No.

Android has no built-in phone tracking capability. This is something you need to have installed yourself on the phone, or something the manufacturer includes. HTC used to do this, but no longer offers the feature.

Report your device stolen to the carrier (you may also report it to the police, but they won't do anything), so that when someone uses it on the network, they won't be able to. Most carriers will not alert you that your device has been found or anything like that. They simply blacklist the IMEI and that's it. If you don't have insurance, then you are pretty much on your own.

Your carrier may offer their own location tracking capability that you can add to your account, and that may allow you to track the phone (if they haven't already wiped the phone and removed your SIM card). Check with your carrier.

What does blacklisting the IMEI do? Could the individual just unlock it with a internet bought code and jam in any sim card and make it work after the fact? Or by blacklisting it if someone brought it to TELUS would they then be able to seize it as a stolen/ lost phone?

Thanks for all your comments and help thus far, it is greatly appreciated.

prjkthack

Jan 4, 2009
Eagan, MN
www.prjkthack.com
What does blacklisting the IMEI do? Could the individual just unlock it with a internet bought code and jam in any sim card and make it work after the fact? Or by blacklisting it if someone brought it to TELUS would they then be able to seize it as a stolen/ lost phone?

Thanks for all your comments and help thus far, it is greatly appreciated.

Blacklisting an IMEI will not allow someone to use that device on the network. This is something that has only recently caught on in the United States. T-Mobile and AT&T now block IMEIs that have been reported stolen/missing, while Sprint and Verizon have been doing it for a while. When you put your SIM into a blocked phone that tries to run on a supported network, you'll get a message that says the phone cannot be used.

Of course, this depends on your carrier. You may want to ask what your carrier does with lost/stolen IMEIs, as they may have different policies.

Perry977

Jun 19, 2010
Oklahoma City
get on computer>google play> download lookout security or plan B...this would only work if the device is turned on and has data connection...plan B should get the gps location and send the map to your email address..

cschmitt

Feb 24, 2012
Did you try Android Device Manager to locate it? It's in the settings menu on the play store website.

specter07

Nov 30, 2011
San Diego
Recently got the new HTC ONE through Telus and little over a couple days it has been stolen from me.

I'm wondering now if there is any way for me to track it on regular google account and facebook has been setup on it, but the phone does have a secure security code to unlock the screen.

Does the carrier have anyway of finding this if someone tries to stick in another SIM? Granted they are also a telus user or am I hooped on this one?

I'm assuming a person with the right know-how or buddy could likely access the boot load reset the thing and unlock it and use it, but i'm hoping this isn't the case and I can still track it via some other way?

Thanks,

V

For the future try an app called Cerberus anti theft, it's a really great app to have. It has a free week trial so you can try it out, after that it cost $2.99 euro which is a little under $5 in US, also it's a one time fee and not a subscription. Just go online and track your phone and do many other things.

Reactions: EasyPauly

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks,

V

For the future try an app called Cerberus anti theft, it's a really great app to have. It has a free week trial so you can try it out, after that it cost $2.99 euro which is a little under $5 in US, also it's a one time fee and not a subscription. Just go online and track your phone and do many other things.