Surface 2 (ARM) Jailbreak question

Search This thread

sundar2012

Oct 8, 2009
Manhattan
Hi,
I'm a long time android guy who is thinking about making the switch. I'm a noob to the new windows and I had a few questions about the Surface 2 (with Tegra 4).

* Can I jailbreak with Surface 2 running the latest version of 8.1 RT?
* Can I easily un-jailbreak the Surface 2 running 8.1 RT if I want to go back? Is there such a thing as a nandroid/recovery backup like there is on android?

Finally, I could just pony up the extra cash and go pro 2. Is the weight and battery life tradeoff worth it (looking for your personal opinions here since i know it really varies)?

Thanks in advance!

mamaich

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 29, 2004
mamaich-eng.blogspot.ru
It may be possible to use a win8.0 WIM file from the original Surface with drivers from Surface 2 (ARM). But you'll need to take the needed drivers from C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ of surface2 (there are lots of drivers there, you'll need to take only surface2-specific, sort folders by date, the surface 2 drivers should be "on top") and integrate them into WIM with DISM. This is a bit tricky - but possible for advanced users.
Probably you'll get the un-activated Windows 8.0.

mcosmin222

May 1, 2012
Hi,
I'm a long time android guy who is thinking about making the switch. I'm a noob to the new windows and I had a few questions about the Surface 2 (with Tegra 4).

* Can I jailbreak with Surface 2 running the latest version of 8.1 RT?
* Can I easily un-jailbreak the Surface 2 running 8.1 RT if I want to go back? Is there such a thing as a nandroid/recovery backup like there is on android?

Finally, I could just pony up the extra cash and go pro 2. Is the weight and battery life tradeoff worth it (looking for your personal opinions here since i know it really varies)?

Thanks in advance!

If you want media consumption and battery life (usually what android is used for anyway), getting a baytrail atom tablet would be better off than both RT and pro 2.

If you plan on doing productivity and things which require the raw power of an I5, then go for the pro 2.