[Q] "OK Google" permanently listening ...

Search This thread

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
Does anyone know a cheat, fix or app that allows Google search to be permanently active and listening for the "OK Google" command, regardless of whatever else is open or foremost on screen? "OK Google" is a phenomenon, but it's a shame that it only works after bringing Google Search or Google Now to the fore; it would be wonderful if it could be permanently listening out for the "OK Google" audio command.

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
Does anyone know a cheat, fix or app that allows Google search to be permanently active and listening for the "OK Google" command, regardless of whatever else is open or foremost on screen? "OK Google" is a phenomenon, but it's a shame that it only works after bringing Google Search or Google Now to the fore; it would be wonderful if it could be permanently listening out for the "OK Google" audio command.

i think kit kat roms (at the homescreen) always are listening for that command.(i want to say also that the GEL launcher does too)

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
i think kit kat roms (at the homescreen) always are listening for that command.(i want to say also that the GEL launcher does too)

Many thanks. I've installed GEL launcher (KK Launcher), and Google Search is indeed always present. However, "OK Google" still only works after first pressing the microphone icon…? I'm looking for a solution whereby if the phone is on, then "OK Google" responds, without having to press anything first.

(I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3, running 4.2.2, rooted but on factory ROM.)

Last edited:

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
Many thanks. I've installed GEL launcher (KK Launcher), and Google Search is indeed always present. However, "OK Google" still only works after first pressing the microphone icon…? I'm looking for a solution whereby if the phone is on, then "OK Google" responds, without having to press anything first.

(I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3, running 4.2.2, rooted but on factory ROM.)

you might have to toggle it, im pretty sure that it has it the option in settings, try this one instead http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/themes-apps/apps-google-experience-launcher-gel-app-t2529594 its the real deal pulled from the nexus 5 :D, i imagine that it always listening will pull some ram away so note that.

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
you might have to toggle it, im pretty sure that it has it the option in settings, try this one instead http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/themes-apps/apps-google-experience-launcher-gel-app-t2529594 its the real deal pulled from the nexus 5 :D, i imagine that it always listening will pull some ram away so note that.

OK, first up my grateful thanks, the basic Google Now launcher you recommended does the trick and I have permanently-on "Go Google". BINGO!
However... ! That launcher is of course extremely basic; only one home page and almost no options. So here's where I get greedy! Is there a way of maintaining the permanently-on Go Google feature of Google Now Launcher, but with the better options and functionality of GEL Launcher?

Last edited:

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
OK, first up my grateful thanks, the basic Google Now launcher you recommended does the trick and I have permanently-on "Go Google". BINGO!
However... ! That launcher is of course extremely basic; only one home page and almost no options. So here's where I get greedy! Is there a way of maintaining the permanently-on Go Google feature of Google Now Launcher, but with the better options and functionality of GEL Launcher?

im sure there is that sort of thing that someone has made already, as for the one homepage there should be more than one? to the left is the google now posts and might have to drag apps to the right to make one. the menu is very disapointing :( i feel like its a step down, i always got to the settings from there but you only go to the launchers settings.

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
im sure there is that sort of thing that someone has made already, as for the one homepage there should be more than one? to the left is the google now posts and might have to drag apps to the right to make one. the menu is very disapointing :( i feel like its a step down, i always got to the settings from there but you only go to the launchers settings.

Agreed. But I've found the solution; I've found an app that does it! "Open Mic+" keeps the Go Google mic open all the time, even when the screen is off. It's working fine under my current launcher, Apex, and I'm just testing now to see if it works with GEL too. :)

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
I thought I'd post a quick update:
"Open Mic+" is doing a great job, giving me permanently-on "OK Google". BUT ...I've found that it's hogging the voice engine and so I can't use voice dictation anywhere else. The only way round that I've found is to have to switch off Open Mic+ whenever I want to dictate anything elsewhere, which is something of a pain.
It looks like I'm not going to be able to have my cake and eat it after all!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Agreed. But I've found the solution; I've found an app that does it! "Open Mic+" keeps the Go Google mic open all the time, even when the screen is off. It's working fine under my current launcher, Apex, and I'm just testing now to see if it works with GEL too. :)

awesome find! i might have to try it out as well!