[Q] Official vs. unofficial

Search This thread

Brian D

Feb 18, 2014
Oceanside, Ca
The only "official" builds are found on the Samsung sites. Now, there are mirrors to those build but when in doubt, you get your OEM build from Samdung. All other builds are "hacks" (and I say that as a term of endearment) that are not 100%. These are non-official and using them is at one's own risk. I have tried several of them and found them wanting so I went back to the OEM. Yes, I am rooted but that is all. Rooted with OEM Rom or Firmware. So I guess that means that I do not have OEM Rom on my P5210. Hmmm...:angel:

Reactions: rjshaw7

dparrothead1

Mar 13, 2011
Florida
"Official" builds are those from the Rom's team and are maintained and updated by those teams. "Unofficial" builds are ported by a dev and are not supported by that Roms team.

Unofficial builds are by no means bad. Usually they are ported by a dev because the particular device is not supported by a ROM team.

Sent from my SM-T310 using xda app-developers app

rjshaw7

Apr 16, 2014
I am running the pac-man ROM which I see is unofficial, it runs very well. I did notice that Validus is an official ROM and wondering if that might be better, but think I will stick with Pac-man for now unless there is a reason to change.

Brian D

Feb 18, 2014
Oceanside, Ca
I think when it says "Official", that means it is out of testing and preproduction. Not an official sanctioned Rom. If you take your device for repair and they see that rom on there, your warranty is void.

Last edited:

rjshaw7

Apr 16, 2014
I didn't make it up. That is what it says on the developers site. I suppose they may label it as official just to fool newbies like me.

gr8nole

Oct 9, 2010
Lynchburg, VA
What? Don't be ludicrous. Official firmware is made only by the manufacture, not some developer who hacked the OEM Rom in any shape, form,or function. All the roms found on XDA or any other Android site is not official unless it was made by Samsung, or whoever the OEM is for that device.

Please do not redefine words just to suit the occasion or to make others feel good.

You seem to blinded by what your opinion of official is. Everyone knows that only device manufacturers release "official" firmware, no one will argue that point. But the nature of this question is exactly as @dparrothead1 answered, referring to official or unofficial builds (such as CM, AOSP roms, and recoveries) which are frequently released by teams or groups as "official" releases supported by that team. Often, other people outside of the team will release a build, but since they aren't part of the team, that build is considered in unofficial.

Sent from my SCH-I605

dparrothead1

Mar 13, 2011
Florida
I didn't make it up. That is what it says on the developers site. I suppose they may label it as official just to fool newbies like me.

Validus is official. It is built and maintained by Ground Zero Roms and it is very smooth and fast. It also has all the customizations you could want!!!

Make a nandroid of you pac-man and try it.....you can always reinstall your present ROM.

rjshaw7

Apr 16, 2014
Validus is official. It is built and maintained by Ground Zero Roms and it is very smooth and fast. It also has all the customizations you could want!!!

Make a nandroid of you pac-man and try it.....you can always reinstall your present ROM.

Thank you, may give it a try.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What? Don't be ludicrous. Official firmware is made only by the manufacture, not some developer who hacked the OEM Rom in any shape, form,or function. All the roms found on XDA or any other Android site is not official unless it was made by Samsung, or whoever the OEM is for that device.

Please do not redefine words just to suit the occasion or to make others feel good.

You seem to blinded by what your opinion of official is. Everyone knows that only device manufacturers release "official" firmware, no one will argue that point. But the nature of this question is exactly as @dparrothead1 answered, referring to official or unofficial builds (such as CM, AOSP roms, and recoveries) which are frequently released by teams or groups as "official" releases supported by that team. Often, other people outside of the team will release a build, but since they aren't part of the team, that build is considered in unofficial.

Sent from my SCH-I605
    The only "official" builds are found on the Samsung sites. Now, there are mirrors to those build but when in doubt, you get your OEM build from Samdung. All other builds are "hacks" (and I say that as a term of endearment) that are not 100%. These are non-official and using them is at one's own risk. I have tried several of them and found them wanting so I went back to the OEM. Yes, I am rooted but that is all. Rooted with OEM Rom or Firmware. So I guess that means that I do not have OEM Rom on my P5210. Hmmm...:angel:
    "Official" builds are those from the Rom's team and are maintained and updated by those teams. "Unofficial" builds are ported by a dev and are not supported by that Roms team.

Unofficial builds are by no means bad. Usually they are ported by a dev because the particular device is not supported by a ROM team.

I think when it says "Official", that means it is out of testing and preproduction. Not an official sanctioned Rom. If you take your device for repair and they see that rom on there, your warranty is void.