Swype for Android 1.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

skanndelus

Dec 21, 2007
Newest Version: Believed to be the same version on newer T-Mobile MyTouch 3Gs

Older Version: (uninstall previous version first)
</b>
<font face="verdana">
Oldest Version: Said to work on the Eris

Just installed it and it works on my Hero

1. Download swype here. (if for some reason it downloads as .zip, just change the file extension to .apk)
2. Transfer to your Eris via USB
3. Settings -> Application settings -> Check Unknown sources (You all prob have done this before but my n00b friends had not so I thought I would mention it anyways)
4. Use a file manager program such as Astro File Manager and go to the location you stored the .apk
5. Install
6. After install go to Settings -> Locale & Text -> Check Swype
7. Open any email/text client and hold down the text box and you will get a popup asking what you want for input. Select Swype. You only have to do this once and it will do it for all your programs.
8. Disable Audio Warnings as it seems to give errors as well located at Phone settings -> Locale & text -> Swype

<b>I recommend reading the tutorial. Helped me. This is very sick. I now love one handed emailing and texting as its so simple.

alternative link:

*known bugs*
1) If you do not check "Disable Audio Warnings" in the Locale & Test > Swype Settings you will get repeated force closes.
2) Installing seems to disable the ability to click and hold to delete icons on the homescreen, widgets work fine.
3) There is no option to tap on a word to edit it while in Portrait mode, reports that landscape mode works fine.

[highlight]Mod Edit: No Swype Links Allowed[/highlight]

Last edited by a moderator:

skanndelus

Dec 21, 2007
if you get force closes, disable the sounds in the settings... i did until i turned them off

also, doesn't seem like you can select and edit words like it says in the tutorial

ro_bro

Nov 9, 2009
thx! It works awesome! except, you can't just hide it when you want to I noticed, like the normal HTC keyboard.

Sirchuk

Jul 12, 2009
I wasn't too sure about this either, but it's growing on me! I'll have to run it through it's paces over the next few days and see how well it works for me. So far so good.

I suggest going through the entire tutorial.

Also, those not sure how to get it running as your default text input, just tap and hold onto a text input place to select the new default, you can always disable swipe at any time by doing the same thing. It doesn't replace anything that I can see, just another app to use.

Thanks for sharing OP!

zippy-man

Nov 20, 2009
Wow love this so far thanks for the find.

Works great but I get FC when i hold down the backspace button to delete words. Works great if i just tap it but holding it down will always FC

EDIT: Turning off sounds fixed the FC

Last edited:

thedudejdog

Sep 22, 2008
Kansas City Mo
i used to HATE text input, but now i'm texing everyone i know! my grandmother! my ex-girlfriend! my sister's husband!

its awesome. if your skeptical just try it. (only takes a second to install) its freakin awesome.

lv2bll

Nov 16, 2009
i used to HATE text input, but now i'm texing everyone i know! my grandmother! my ex-girlfriend! my sister's husband!

its awesome. if your skeptical just try it. (only takes a second to install) its freakin awesome.

ya it takes about 10 mins of use to be fully acclimated to swype!
now that i'm using this i will start showing it off to everyone,YAAAY

p.s. and thanks for showing how to make it the default!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.