[APP] VM Heap Tool 2.4.1 [28/02/12]

Search This thread

martino2k6

Jul 31, 2009
London
martino2k6.wordpress.com
Description
I wrote a small application to allow easily changing the VM heap size (no more adb pull, edit, adb push). People on CM ROMs may be familiar with a similar option, but here is a little tool for those who are not running CM. As it modifies a variable which can affect the stability of the system, be careful with how you use it :) More about the VM heap size is written in the application itself. And of course, if I made any mistakes or if something is incorrect please correct me.

Requirements
  • root
  • system write
  • busybox (1.17.x recommended)

Appearing In
  • Japanese Jellyfish (ZTE Blade/Orange San Francisco)
If you wish to bundle this application in your firmware feel free to, but let me know if you do and please link back to this page :)

Download (Android Market):
img.php

Translating VM Heap Tool
English files which can be translated have been attached (txt files), and the following fields which I will mention do not need to be translated. Once you translate something you may just attach the files in your post or add them in code tags. Of course please mention the language that you translated it to so I can appropriately add it to the application and update.

Do not translate: heapSizeUnit, aboutHeap, defaultHeap, currentHeap, version, thread, heapSizeValues. These just hold key values which should not be translated. Also please don't translate "RPLACE" inside the texts, as this is replaced inside the application on run-time.

Values are stored as
Code:
<string name="aboutHeapTitle">What is the heap?</string>
where the string's name is clearly defined, "aboutHeapTitle", and the value which should be translated is inside the <> and </> tags. Values which are used in similar situations will have a common prefix, for example:
"progress..." - used on a progress dialog to display the message
"toast..." - the little grey messages that you get at the bottom of your screen and with which you can't interact
"dialog..." - used as the title on a dialog box
and so on...

Thank you to all those who are willing to help, your contributions will be noted :)

Attachments

• device1.jpg
    device1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 5,062
  • device3.jpg
    device3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 4,697
  • strings.txt
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,174
  • arrays.txt
    576 bytes · Views: 831
  • VMHeapTool_v2.4.1.apk
    51 KB · Views: 5,136
Last edited:

ACD168

Aug 28, 2010
great app, wont have to manually erstart on droid inc. wont restart when pushing the button.

martino2k6

Jul 31, 2009
London
martino2k6.wordpress.com
great app, wont have to manually erstart on droid inc. wont restart when pushing the button.
Thanks, so the Incredible has the same problem as the Desire then... If you install ROM Manager it will restart. I'm afraid that has something to do with superuser and how the phone is rooted (correct me if I'm wrong), so some devices will restart while others will not. Sadly Google doesn't allow applications to restart the device, so it has to be done in a roundabout way which may not always work...

kapslock4

Oct 31, 2010
If you have rooted the san fran with stock rom and this will not work, root again. Worked for me no probs, even if it says you are rooted. Just root again. It appears that when the San Fran is turned off then on, it unroots (with original rom" Well, that is what I have found after testing. I have stock rom rooted and have picked out all the Orange "tat"
Hope that helps.

G

Guilden_NL

System Write Required

Just tried running the app, but ran into an error: "System write required". I have root, adb is installed and recognize Android is read only by default, so I assume that I have to change permissions to include write?

martino2k6

Jul 31, 2009
London
martino2k6.wordpress.com
Just tried running the app, but ran into an error: "System write required". I have root, adb is installed and recognize Android is read only by default, so I assume that I have to change permissions to include write?
You can't change that without using a rooting method which unlocks NAND on your device. The application already remounted the partition to write, but wasn't able to write to it because you most likely don't have NAND unlocked.

G

Guilden_NL

No love on the MyTouch 3G getting NAND unlocked for Write. Ah well, the MT3G is truly a dog so I am not going to spend anymore time with it. It'll do the job for now, and I use the Nexus One as my main phone anyway.

Thanks for the tip though! At least I know where the issue is on this device.

stylez

Moderator Emeritus
If you have rooted the san fran with stock rom and this will not work, root again. Worked for me no probs, even if it says you are rooted. Just root again. It appears that when the San Fran is turned off then on, it unroots (with original rom" Well, that is what I have found after testing. I have stock rom rooted and have picked out all the Orange "tat"
Hope that helps.

Didn't work but used clockwork and installed custom ROM and worked :)

Sent from my BladeVillain using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Description
    I wrote a small application to allow easily changing the VM heap size (no more adb pull, edit, adb push). People on CM ROMs may be familiar with a similar option, but here is a little tool for those who are not running CM. As it modifies a variable which can affect the stability of the system, be careful with how you use it :) More about the VM heap size is written in the application itself. And of course, if I made any mistakes or if something is incorrect please correct me.

Requirements
    • root
    • system write
    • busybox (1.17.x recommended)

Appearing In
    • Japanese Jellyfish (ZTE Blade/Orange San Francisco)
    If you wish to bundle this application in your firmware feel free to, but let me know if you do and please link back to this page :)

Download (Android Market):
    img.php

Translating VM Heap Tool
    English files which can be translated have been attached (txt files), and the following fields which I will mention do not need to be translated. Once you translate something you may just attach the files in your post or add them in code tags. Of course please mention the language that you translated it to so I can appropriately add it to the application and update.

Do not translate: heapSizeUnit, aboutHeap, defaultHeap, currentHeap, version, thread, heapSizeValues. These just hold key values which should not be translated. Also please don't translate "RPLACE" inside the texts, as this is replaced inside the application on run-time.

Values are stored as
    Code:
    <string name="aboutHeapTitle">What is the heap?</string>
    where the string's name is clearly defined, "aboutHeapTitle", and the value which should be translated is inside the <> and </> tags. Values which are used in similar situations will have a common prefix, for example:
    "progress..." - used on a progress dialog to display the message
    "toast..." - the little grey messages that you get at the bottom of your screen and with which you can't interact
    "dialog..." - used as the title on a dialog box
    and so on...

Thank you to all those who are willing to help, your contributions will be noted :)
    I got above when trying to run app on rooted NAND unlocked HTC EVO. Fixed by going into Root Explorer, navigating to System, and enabling R/W. Was able to change heap size to 32.
    It's a Busybox issue. Try installing a different version, such as 1.17 and it should work again.
    Awesome, now everyone can break apps by lowering the heap below the expected 24 megs!
    Yes, but I hope that most people will be smarter and try to use something like 32 :p
    Version 2.0 has been released, with a major overhaul to the user interface and improved robustness. Since most of the code has been rewritten, force closes are likely to happen. Just please use the "Report" button if you'll see one, and re-install if it will keep force closing.

Also, it is now possible to easily translate it so I might open a Github or something similar for translations. Or just let me know if you're interested. Thank you.
    I updated to version 2.3, although this should only affect the poor souls that do not have root and get a force close before they can even be told that it won't work for them. It's in the OP and the Market.