Buying off craigslist? What else should I do?

Search This thread

DarthScabrous

Dec 22, 2012
So, theres a guy on craigslist who was selling his Note 3 in box for $400, and I offered $325. Now, what I had planned to do was to meet in public, most likely at the AT&T store, pop in my sim, and check to make sure its working. Also, I was going to check the imei number, and make up a bill of sale with the imei included. Anything else I can do?

And if the phone is linked to their contract, and they end up not paying, that will blacklist the phone correct? Will a bill of sale protect me?

XiphoneUzer

Nov 30, 2013
So, theres a guy on craigslist who was selling his Note 3 in box for $400, and I offered $325. Now, what I had planned to do was to meet in public, most likely at the AT&T store, pop in my sim, and check to make sure its working. Also, I was going to check the imei number, and make up a bill of sale with the imei included. Anything else I can do?

And if the phone is linked to their contract, and they end up not paying, that will blacklist the phone correct? Will a bill of sale protect me?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49280606#post49280606

DarthScabrous

Dec 22, 2012
Well, I think I scared him off anyway. I requested pictures, the imei number, receipt of purchase, and that he was going to have to sign a bill of sale. He said ok, and hasn't replied in two hours. Oh well, I need to save money for a trip anyway, I'm just tired of looking at my LG Optimus G Pro. I want to upgrade, as stupid as it sounds.

aygriffith

Jan 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
Nothing will protect you against blacklisting of IMEI numbers. It's only going to get worse on Craigslist with programs like AT&T Next. Even if it's not blacklisted today it might be in 2 months when the not paid phone hits collections.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: gharris040604

wish777

Jan 24, 2012
Cleveland
OnePlus 6T
Well, I think I scared him off anyway. I requested pictures, the imei number, receipt of purchase, and that he was going to have to sign a bill of sale. He said ok, and hasn't replied in two hours. Oh well, I need to save money for a trip anyway, I'm just tired of looking at my LG Optimus G Pro. I want to upgrade, as stupid as it sounds.

You did the right thing..who cares if you think you scared a thief away...You protected yourself from scumbags that rip good people off..spending that kind of money and getting blacklisted isn't worth all the hassle.....If you find a honest seller he/she won't hesitate at all for a bill of sale...

---------- Post added at 04:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 AM ----------

Nothing will protect you against blacklisting of IMEI numbers. It's only going to get worse on Craigslist with programs like AT&T Next. Even if it's not blacklisted today it might be in 2 months when the not paid phone hits collections.

True..but as long as he had a proper "bill of sale" least he has some evidence of a crooked seller,and have more options then nothing at all.....But your exactly right though, and it will get worse with more carriers offering upgrades sooner.

mazdamiata210

Apr 8, 2012
Brooklyn, N.Y.
I've sold many phones on ebay and craigslist and also purchased quite a few. I never had any problems doing so. Just use common sense, see what the person is like, never go alone when meeting someone. And obviously make sure it's not blacklisted. A person who was a serious seller would do whatever needed to make the sale, however it is best to explain why you want the information you're asking for. Otherwise they'll think you're just being annoying lol

BlackZenith

Dec 23, 2011
This thread is about a guy that bought an N3 off Craigslist, and the seller blacklisted it a few hours after the sale (insurance fraud). You may want to make sure the seller transfers ownership to you with AT&T.

Last edited:

Paulita1

Dec 11, 2013

I never had any problems doing so. Just use common sense, see what the person is like, never go alone when meeting someone. And obviously make sure it's not blacklisted. A person who was a serious seller would do whatever needed to make the sale, however it is best to explain why you want the information you're asking for. Otherwise they'll think you're just being annoying lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.