[Q] Does P780 have a bright notification LED?

Search This thread

Dark_Horse

Apr 16, 2008
London
Has anyone got a picture or video of the P780 notification LED? What colour does the light flash and is it big and bright like a Samsung Galaxy Note II or small and tiny like a Huawei Ascend P6?

Looked on YouTube and lots of reviews but nobody showing the notification light.

Also, does anyone have a link to the full user manual? Can only find the basic one on the Lenovo website.

Jackal331

Sep 9, 2007
Bratislava
Has anyone got a picture or video of the P780 notification LED? What colour does the light flash and is it big and bright like a Samsung Galaxy Note II or small and tiny like a Huawei Ascend P6?

Looked on YouTube and lots of reviews but nobody showing the notification light.

Also, does anyone have a link to the full user manual? Can only find the basic one on the Lenovo website.

I guess they are somewhere in the middle, have a look.

Attachments

• lenovo-p780-led-green.jpg
    lenovo-p780-led-green.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 463
  • lenovo-p780-led-red.jpg
    lenovo-p780-led-red.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 474
Reactions: Dark_Horse

soralz

Apr 6, 2013
Taipei
Thanks Jackal331. Does the LED work for email and WhatsApp? I have stock ROW_119 installed and the LED only lights for missed calls and sms. Can't get it to light with anything else and no apps (like Lightflow) work with it either.

So far, I tested the LED, it only works for Calls, SMS, WeChat, Charging mode, all other else doesn't lit up. (Facebook, LINE, KakaoTalk, WhatsApp, Gmail etc...)

Reactions: Dark_Horse

Dark_Horse

Apr 16, 2008
London
So far, I tested the LED, it only works for Calls, SMS, WeChat, Charging mode, all other else doesn't lit up. (Facebook, LINE, KakaoTalk, WhatsApp, Gmail etc...)

Thanks Soralz. Which ROM are you using? Don't know why Lenovo disable WhatsApp and Email LED notification :mad:

Maybe notification LED is fixed in S123 ROM or future KitKat 4.4 upgrade.

Jackal331

Sep 9, 2007
Bratislava
I will test this and let you know, I don't make use of the led very much. Will test FB and Gmail, I'm on SLX rom, it has many tweaks also GravityBox maybe it works there dunno.

Dark_Horse

Apr 16, 2008
London
is the notification led really very dim? is there any 3rd party app that can control it?

The LED is not so dim but it is inside the earpiece so angles are not as good as a BlackBerry or Galaxy Note 2 which you can see from across the room. However, the P780 LED is bigger than the one in the HTC One which has a tiny LED like a speck of dust which is pretty much useless.

Because the LED is inside the earpiece, you can put a case on and still see notifications which is good. I think the LED is fine for brightness but the big problem is that it only lights up for missed calls and sms and charging. It doesn't light for emails or facebook or whatsapp and I haven't found any app that can even lit up the LED let alone control it.

There are some custom ROMs that can control the LED using Light Flow such as http://xdaforums.com/lenovo-p780/development/aosp-rom-lenovo-p780-t2722977 and http://www.needrom.com/mobile/lenovo-p780-6/.

I will try Light Flow again tonight using the settings in those ROM, the LED must be controllable somehow, it's stupid having LED with no email or facebook or whatsapp notification :(

Dark_Horse

Apr 16, 2008
London
yes, email notification is a must for the led,
also notice it doesn't blink, just light up, what a waste

Don't mind if it doesn't blink, as long as it comes on, thats fine.

Ok, I downloaded Lightflow Lite from the Play Store to test and this works if you use the HTC direct mode in Lightflow settings. This makes the LED blink in test mode BUT if you switch the screen off, it stops flashing. I think there is a power setting somewhere to keep Lightflow active when the screen is locked but the app doesn't show in the Lenovo power app whitelist.

Also, with HTC direct mode, there is no choice of colours for the LED, you are limited to just green which is fine by me but definitely need to have the LED lighting up when the screen is off. Will continue playing around with it to see if I can get it working.

Dark_Horse

Apr 16, 2008
London
Just updated to stock 124 and the LED still doesn't work :mad:

Why don't Lenovo fix this simple thing? Samsung, LG, HTC, everyone lese has the LED lighting up on all events and Lenovo have to ruin a great phone by buggy implementation :mad:

Dark_Horse

Apr 16, 2008
London
Have been messing around the Lightflow and can confirm that Gmail works if you have root and HTC Direct mode enabled. Doesn't work at all with standard Lenovo Email app though.

lenovoOwner

Nov 3, 2013
is it possible to enable the light if a whatsapp message has arrived

is it possible to enable the light if a whatsapp message has arrived?

blank.id

Jun 19, 2012
the light was hopeless
i use application like NoLed (free at gplay) to make a notification in the screen
it works and can be customised

another app like this is knock2, its free and also have a paid version

Dark_Horse

Apr 16, 2008
London
is it possible to enable the light if a whatsapp message has arrived?

Yes if you have the full version of Light Flow.

the light was hopeless
i use application like NoLed (free at gplay) to make a notification in the screen
it works and can be customised

another app like this is knock2, its free and also have a paid version

The light is not bright like a Blackberry and has no viewing angles but it's not at all bad, the good thing is that it is in the earpiece so you can still see it even with a cover on. I prefer a proper LED to something like NoLed which will switch on the whole screen to make a notification and drain the battery.

blank.id

Jun 19, 2012
Yes if you have the full version of Light Flow.

The light is not bright like a Blackberry and has no viewing angles but it's not at all bad, the good thing is that it is in the earpiece so you can still see it even with a cover on. I prefer a proper LED to something like NoLed which will switch on the whole screen to make a notification and drain the battery.

its your choice :p
i use knock2 n proximity sensor and always on, still i have 1,5 day till the battrey drain
i really love the battery :victory:

laogiacodai

Aug 17, 2007
After upgraded to KK S221, led notification is malfunction when screen is off. After receiving sms, missed call, led blink normally until screen is off, it will be light or off or blink with abnormal frequency...

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I guess they are somewhere in the middle, have a look.
    Thanks Jackal331. Does the LED work for email and WhatsApp? I have stock ROW_119 installed and the LED only lights for missed calls and sms. Can't get it to light with anything else and no apps (like Lightflow) work with it either.