[Q] Chromecast Kitkat S2

Search This thread

JimboAccy

Jan 22, 2014
Hi chaps/chapesses

Quick question that someone can hopefully help answer..

Chromecast screen mirroring on my S2. I currently have Jellysnap rom on it due to the fact that the utter! app doesn't work properly with my Bluetooth car adaptor (Avantalk) when using Cyanogenmod 11 Kitkat (I really like it because of its offline capabilities as I am on PAYG with no mobile data) .

I was just wondering if anyone has had any success screen mirroring their S2 to their Chromecast with any kitkat rom. I don't really want to start over again installing kitkat if at the end of it, the screen mirroring doesn't work so I was just wondering if anyone out there in xda land had already tried it?

Ive searched the forums and cant see this question relating to the S2 with a kitkat rom but can see others have asked the same about other devices...
If no one has tried it, I might just bite the bullet and report back on any success/failure...

Jimbo

timtom2000

Dec 22, 2014
Hey y'all,
Let me push this topic a little bit. Since it was opened a lot has happened in that area. After r3pwn has closed his thread, because google has implemented native mirroring support into the chromecast app for Kitkat devices, the platform for discussion was closed as well.
I'm facing similar issues as the topic opener. I'm using my i9100 with cm11 m12, latest chromecast app, which works fine, e.g. YouTube. However, once I start screen cast, the TV screen becomes black. After each few seconds the app tells me, that the cast connection was disconnected and the chrome standard screen is shown on TV. After several trys the screen stays black. Does anyone have an idea how to make this work.? According to several posts it should be possible...

JimboAccy

Jan 22, 2014
Hey y'all,
Let me push this topic a little bit. Since it was opened a lot has happened in that area. After r3pwn has closed his thread, because google has implemented native mirroring support into the chromecast app for Kitkat devices, the platform for discussion was closed as well.
I'm facing similar issues as the topic opener. I'm using my i9100 with cm11 m12, latest chromecast app, which works fine, e.g. YouTube. However, once I start screen cast, the TV screen becomes black. After each few seconds the app tells me, that the cast connection was disconnected and the chrome standard screen is shown on TV. After several trys the screen stays black. Does anyone have an idea how to make this work.? According to several posts it should be possible...

It is working for me now. I am using Markox89's latest custom CM based rom (20141220) and screen mirroring works but only if I use Mirror Enabler from r3pwn which I find strange. Even though I have downloaded the latest version of the Chromecast app which is supposed to allow all devices to screen mirror, the mirroring doesnt work - I get the same as above, screen stays blank and I get disconnect messages on the phone a short while later. Doesnt matter which way I try (either via the option within the Chromecast app or via the Settings/Display/Cast Screen option within the Rom itself) The only way I can get it to work is to continue to use r3pwn's Mirror Enabler app and I think it was only v5 that worked as well (tried v6 and v7 but still got the black screen followed by a disconnect and before I could ask about that he had closed the thread). Once I had done this and got it working, I now have a Cast Screen tile appear automatically after I go to Settings on my phone so I dont even have to open the Chromecast app to screen mirror any more so the phone automatically sees the Chromecast now :) Personally I think r3pwn has closed his thread too soon but not heard anyone else having a problem without using his Mirror Enabler app since the latest Chromecast app update. I will just keep his apk's safe.

I know this sounds silly, but have you tried a reboot of the Chromecast as well? I actually rebooted it with the button held down which factory defaulted it and I just re-set it all back up using the Chromecast app to my Wifi etc. This MIGHT have been the fix but as I am unwilling to mess with Roms now that it is working, I am staying put.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Reactions: timtom2000

thisrock

Feb 20, 2010
i tried v5 as you said and it worked but mirroring is very slow. :(

GT-I9100 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

JimboAccy

Jan 22, 2014
Yeah it is slow for me too but I think thats unfortunately the device capabilities.. Ive not seen or heard of it being very responsive on the S2 but at least it works.. Not sure why v6 and v7 of Mirror Enabler dont work - a shame as there might be speed improvements in those versions but neither work for me, just says straight away that casting has ended when using either version.

Jimbo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey y'all,

It is working for me now. I am using Markox89's latest custom CM based rom (20141220) and screen mirroring works but only if I use Mirror Enabler from r3pwn which I find strange. Even though I have downloaded the latest version of the Chromecast app which is supposed to allow all devices to screen mirror, the mirroring doesnt work - I get the same as above, screen stays blank and I get disconnect messages on the phone a short while later. Doesnt matter which way I try (either via the option within the Chromecast app or via the Settings/Display/Cast Screen option within the Rom itself) The only way I can get it to work is to continue to use r3pwn's Mirror Enabler app and I think it was only v5 that worked as well (tried v6 and v7 but still got the black screen followed by a disconnect and before I could ask about that he had closed the thread). Once I had done this and got it working, I now have a Cast Screen tile appear automatically after I go to Settings on my phone so I dont even have to open the Chromecast app to screen mirror any more so the phone automatically sees the Chromecast now :) Personally I think r3pwn has closed his thread too soon but not heard anyone else having a problem without using his Mirror Enabler app since the latest Chromecast app update. I will just keep his apk's safe.

I know this sounds silly, but have you tried a reboot of the Chromecast as well? I actually rebooted it with the button held down which factory defaulted it and I just re-set it all back up using the Chromecast app to my Wifi etc. This MIGHT have been the fix but as I am unwilling to mess with Roms now that it is working, I am staying put.

Jimbo