[BUG] Phone reboots during an active call + USB storage (apps2sd) full

Search This thread

ryan562

Feb 28, 2010
Happened to me once this past week about ten minutes in to a phone call. Wifi was on.I'm also running modaco r3.

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
i guess, i could say i was pretty lucky

i had a 30min interview using the SNS, with bluetooth on Bionix ROM

driving from small streets & highways during rush hour, and no drop call during the whole thing

oh, the SNS was streaming MP3 to my car via bluetooth before the phone call, and when the call ended, the music resumed

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Just had it happen to me for the first time. I starred the issue;; but notice there's only 32 stars on it.

I've been unable to reproduce a phone reboot during a call. I've made several calls to my phone and it never has rebooted since that one time. I was hoping to catch a log entry on the phone.

The problem certainly seems random and inconsistent across users.

At least Google is aware of it, can reproduce it, and claims to be working on it (on the Help forum) despite not acknowledging the bug report yet.

andymason

Jan 4, 2011
The bug report has been declined at ... so it doesn't look like they think it's a gingerbread problem.

That's not exactly true. The close comment said:

Although the Nexus One and Nexus S run pure Android, this issue tracker is not the place to report bugs for these devices. I am going to continue posting updates to this issue on the Google Mobile forum.

In the Google Mobile forum mentioned an official Google employee posted:

Hey all,

So we've successfully reproduced this issue and are in the process of investigating with Samsung. I'll provide updates as soon as I have them.

-Ry Guy

So it seems there is a real problem. Google has confirmed and reproduced it, but have yet to confirm if it's software or hardware. However, by the number of people returning their devices and having the same problem again makes me think its a software issue.

On a personal note, I find if difficult to distinguish a bug in the Android software and a bug in software running on a "Pure Android experience device". Aren't they the same thing?

dez93_2000

Jan 17, 2009
San Carlos
I find if difficult to distinguish a bug in the Android software and a bug in software running on a "Pure Android experience device". Aren't they the same thing?

Yes. I know it might seem prissy of me, but after trialling WP7 on the HTC HD7 and giving it back, I was hoping Google would do a better job of keeping its dedicated user-base happy than to dismiss out-of-hand a forum teeming with irked early-adopters, simply because an employee (wrongly) felt there was a semantic reason not to reply to them there.

("sounds like someone's got a case of the mondays!" ;) )

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
That's not exactly true. The close comment said:

In the Google Mobile forum mentioned an official Google employee posted:

So it seems there is a real problem. Google has confirmed and reproduced it, but have yet to confirm if it's software or hardware. However, by the number of people returning their devices and having the same problem again makes me think its a software issue.

I've posted a few times in this thread (on page 3) that I think the Google Help Forums are probably a better place to report issues these days. They seem to get a lot more attention than the bug reporting site. I even posted a link to the specific question/answer where Google ry_guy says they're aware of it.

I think we should focus future bug reports on any issue to BOTH Help and Code sites.

On a personal note, I find if difficult to distinguish a bug in the Android software and a bug in software running on a "Pure Android experience device". Aren't they the same thing?

I agree. I see a lot of "this isn't an Android problem replies and bug reports closed over there.

It's almost as confusing as the policy around here over what goes in the General section, and what goes in the Q&A section... LOL

gogol

May 20, 2005
One thing that I read there, all bug reports are using Android 2.3.1 ...

Anyone has this bug on 2.3?

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
One thing that I read there, all bug reports are using Android 2.3.1 ...

Anyone has this bug on 2.3?

It's a good question. Is there anyone who didn't rush to go to 2.3.1 and is actually on 2.3? :confused:

Actually, I've read in a couple of places people saying that they've done a factory reset "back to 2.3" and not experienced the problem since. I don't think a regular "factory reset" would change your build number...it's only supposed to wipe the /data partition, not re-write the /system one.

This is a serious bug, and Google is aware of it, we should get a fix pretty quickly.

fchipm

Jan 7, 2010
Mine just crashed for the first time last night during a phone call.

I have actually found the phone to be extremely unresponsive and unstable any time it is plugged in to charge. The call I was on was while it was plugged in.

Anyone else seem to only encounter instability while charging?

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

lordmirg

Apr 21, 2010
London
twitter.com
Factory reset (at least from the Android settings menu) doesn't revert back to 2.3 does it? Do you mean from the boot menu? Mine still says 2.3.1.

I haven't had a reboot during a call since I did the Factory Reset and wipe USB Storage, however last night I did notice that the phone rebooted itself whilst it was charging - I've never noticed that before now. Prior to the reboot it was behaving a little slowly (lag on the home screen, etc). I tried to get a log using Log Collector, but the log only started from the reboot. (Would I be better off using aLogCat?).

americancrew

Jul 12, 2009
I've posted the link at the first thread that Dennis originally posted in the 3rd page of this thread to report to google about this phone reboot bug.

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Reboot in call #2

Had my second reboot in the middle of a call just now.

Very disappointing, but it's only happened twice in 30 days.

Last day to return the phone; but it's a keeper for me. Hopefully they'll get this figured out quickly.

adnanbaig18

Oct 23, 2009
Had a reboot for the first time today. And it happened thrice today and u was on an important work call. Man this is really annoying and Google or Samsung should be ashamed of themselves to have such a bug. Didn't expected that from my first android device. Even I can't replace it or anything as I am in another country.
And what's worst is that they still have this major issue on a medium priority. Pathetic!!!!

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

allen099

Feb 22, 2010
New York
My rooted (via Superboot from Paul @Modaco) Nexus S has been pretty good for the first 2-3 weeks of ownership; no reboots or messages about being low on space.

Last night however, I decided to be daring and install ClockworkMod and all was alright, however when I placed a call in the morning, my phone rebooted after about 45 seconds into the call.

For those who are rebooting, are you rooted? Are you on stock or ClockworkMod recovery? I wonder whether fully restoring the system back to stock via that Nandroid that was provided in the dev section will help.

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I can't imagine how being on CWM would at all impact operation of the phone. It's an untouched partition unless it's selected to boot from.

I'd be interested in seeing a poll to see if anyone's had this problem on 2.3. There's some suspicion out there that it's a 2.3.1 issue. I never noticed this problem until after the 2.3.1 update.

Also, there are those who say that factory reset/wipe stops the issue, but they also claim that that puts them back to 2.3, which seems unlikely. Can anyone confirm that for sure?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all. Last night I called 02 a few times and the call was dropped and the phone restarted three times, each time a while (~10 - 15 minutes) into the call. The phone rebooted and operated fine after (although, like i say, repeated this behaviour a second ten third time).
    No problems before or since to do with anything else.

Anyone experience the same? Any clues or diagnostic tips? :confused:
    ta

Hi, there's at least two other threads where this is being discussed. Usually a good idea to search before asking to save yourself the sarcastic replies you're bound to get.

Direct answer to your question, yes, many of us are seeing it. Check out the "phone reboots and usb storage" thread in the QA section.
    you can capture the log with adb logcat command, or download a logcat app from the Market http://www.appbrain.com/search?q=logcat

Why are you bothering with apps2sd? The Nexus S shares the Galaxy S line's hugh, I mean HUGE, 1GB of "disk" space for apps. I've got almost 100 apps on my phone and not a hint of low space. See the screen capture I've attached: 284mb used for apps, 724mb still free!
    I just reported rebooting issue to the Google. Please add your comments and star it, so Google will be aware of the problem and start fixing it!

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=13674