[Q] Huawei U8160 (a.k.a. Vodafone 858 Smart)

Search This thread

Shadow ULM

Jul 28, 2011
It is posible to go from froyo to gingerbread or oxygen on Huawei U8160 (a.k.a. Vodafone 858 Smart)?If yes please teach me how.Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: jagaroth

Sarc00

Aug 11, 2011
search google for SmartLucky rom for the 858. Its awesome even though its not gingerbread. Has multitouch too.

palcoNe

Aug 13, 2011
Does anybody knows if it is possible to flash the original wpa_supplicant (v 6.1) with the hacked version to see ad-hoc networks ? or can be anything else done ?

Shadow ULM

Jul 28, 2011
i saw smart lucky,but i don't understand italian.if you can translate the steps to install it i will be forever gratefull to you.

drake762001

Aug 19, 2011
I've installed the smartlucky on my vodafone smart (italian) and works very well. I'm italian, i try to translate the instruction for the italian forum to install this rom
Prerequisite: the telephone must be rooted and the the recovery Clockworkmod 4.0.0.2 or above must be already installed (if you need instructions this steps I can translate it from the same forum)

Instructions:
1: Download the rom from the link in the italian forum (the latest build is 2.1.729, the 2.1.1 is only un update and must be installed after the main build)
2: Copy the file SmartLucky2.*.zip into the sd of your phone
3: Enter in recovery mode with colckworkmod (shutdown the phone and press and bring pressed volume-up + power on simultaneously till the load of the clockworkmod)
4: It is better to do a backup of your actual rom with the backup & restore menu (this step is optional but is better to do it in case of problem)
5: Go down with the key Volume down to the menu "Wipe data/factory reset" e confirm with the key power on. Select and confirm Yes -- delete all user data.
6: Go back to the main menu and choos "Install zip from sdcard".
7: Now choose the file "SmartLucky2.*" that you have previsuously insert to the sd card (point 2). Now the installation will start.
8: wait the end of the installation and go back to the main menu and choose "reboot system now".
9: now the phone will restart. The first restart is very very very long, please be patient!

For install the 2.1.1 update the procedure is the same, but you don't need to do the point 5

After the boot you need to launch no-frilld cpu to set the overclock of the cpu (if you want).
The differences from the stock rom are a lots, the principals (about me) are:
1: cpu overclock e underclock
2: photo-camera bring up to 3 Mpixel
3: multitouch enabled

Pay attention: the rom have a littel bug (actually unresolved, due to the multitouch): The back key of the phone is a bit moved to left respect the sign. It's not a problem to use, but is important to know that is necessary tap a bit to left respect the original.

If you need other info please ask me. I'm sorry for my error in the translation but I'm italian :)

Reactions: Shadow ULM

Shadow ULM

Jul 28, 2011
thank you very much!I cannot entry in recovery mode :( .I tried as you said but it's just showing the hourglass and black screen.

Last edited:

umarino

Jul 27, 2007
San Cesareo
you have to bring pressed VOLUME UP + POWER BUTTON also during the hourglass screen. Don't release buttons before the recovery mode is active.

privatemad

Oct 3, 2010
did it work?

did it work? is it any better?
im thinking of getting it from vodafone.. only if it gets performance with the upgrade.
hope its in english.
Noob here..

miazza

Apr 5, 2009
I've installed the smartlucky on my vodafone smart (italian) and works very well. I'm italian, i try to translate the instruction for the italian forum to install this rom
Prerequisite: the telephone must be rooted and the the recovery Clockworkmod 4.0.0.2 or above must be already installed (if you need instructions this steps I can translate it from the same forum)

Instructions:
1: Download the rom from the link in the italian forum (the latest build is 2.1.729, the 2.1.1 is only un update and must be installed after the main build)
3: Enter in recovery mode with colckworkmod (shutdown the phone and press and bring pressed volume-up + power on simultaneously till the load of the clockworkmod)
4: It is better to do a backup of your actual rom with the backup & restore menu (this step is optional but is better to do it in case of problem)
5: Go down with the key Volume down to the menu "Wipe data/factory reset" e confirm with the key power on. Select and confirm Yes -- delete all user data.
7: Now choose the file "SmartLucky2.*" that you have previsuously insert to the sd card (point 2). Now the installation will start.
8: wait the end of the installation and go back to the main menu and choose "reboot system now".
9: now the phone will restart. The first restart is very very very long, please be patient!

For install the 2.1.1 update the procedure is the same, but you don't need to do the point 5

After the boot you need to launch no-frilld cpu to set the overclock of the cpu (if you want).

Pay attention: the rom have a littel bug (actually unresolved, due to the multitouch): The back key of the phone is a bit moved to left respect the sign. It's not a problem to use, but is important to know that is necessary tap a bit to left respect the original.

If you need other info please ask me. I'm sorry for my error in the translation but I'm italian :)

I need help for rooting the mobile and for installing the recovery Clockworkmod 4.0.0.2 or above. My menu only state:
reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
touchscreen firmware up

Thanks for the assistance. I'm really new on Android...

miazza

I solved ... reading and reading at the end I found the solution :)

Last edited:

RoboRAWRR...

Jan 17, 2012
Can somebody please give me some sort of instructions on how to backup my stock rom before i install smartlucky?
THANKS!:D:D:D:D

ardit123

Sep 30, 2012
HELP!! someone with vodafone 858 phone could upload their backup or system.img file. plz!! help my phone it stuck on boot screen

meer123

Oct 23, 2012
www.mobiworldz.com
Vodafone to launch mobile money transfer service

LONDON— Vodafone, which owns 65% of Vodacom, will launch an international mobile money transfer service as part of a wider expansion of the M-Pesa platform, which has become a popular payment system in countries such as Kenya.

M-Pesa was launched by Vodafone in 2007, and has become a quasi-currency because it is used so widely in Kenya. It is also available in other African countries such as South Africa and Tanzania.

Vodafone is expected to announce this week that the M-Pesa platform will be available across borders, allowing customers in countries that have adopted the system to send money from overseas.

Mobile-payment systems are a growing focus for telecoms groups that see both a means of attracting and keeping customers and a new way to generate revenue through associated activities, such as advertising and discount coupons.

However, few have been as successful as M-Pesa. Its attraction lies in a technologically simple text message-based transfer system that allows people to be paid, and pay, using their cellphones. The advantages of security and low transaction costs have helped its popularity in countries where many people do not have a bank account.

M-Pesa will be connected to an international remittance hub called HomeSend — operated by Bics, a money transfer company — which covers more than 21 money transfer businesses in 35 countries.

The expansion of the service comes as Vodafone seeks to increase the mobile money business in other countries, and beyond basic payment systems into other areas of financial services such as insurance and banking. M-Pesa is used by more than 15-million customers, generating more than 165-million transactions a month.

The platform is already being tested in India, for example, which is seen by the UK-listed telecoms group as a potentially vast market for the service. Other countries will be looked at, according to those familiar with the service. Vodafone declined to comment, although a spokesman said it was always exploring options for expansion of the platform.

Vodafone owns 40% of Safaricom, the leading mobile operator in Kenya, and has identified demand among many Kenyans working abroad to send money home using a secure mobile transfer service.

Separately, the UK’s leading mobile operators will unveil their joint commerce platform this week using the new name "Weve" ahead of an official launch in November.

The new company, which had been code named "Project Oscar", will market a "digital wallet" scheme that has been backed by EE, O2 and Vodafone. This platform will allow third-party debt and credit cards to be stored on a secure service on the phone to be used as payment.

Source

Reactions: nogai

nogai

Jul 1, 2012
Constanta
HELP!! someone with vodafone 858 phone could upload their backup or system.img file. plz!! help my phone it stuck on boot screen

So, you want to get stock and not keeping cwm or stock but keeping cwm?

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Actually I asked you a wrong question...Sorry.
So here's the link for my system.img : www[dot]4shared[dot]com/file/6LP2NufA/systemyaffs2.html
You're welcome and please hit the Thanks button if it helped!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It is posible to go from froyo to gingerbread or oxygen on Huawei U8160 (a.k.a. Vodafone 858 Smart)?If yes please teach me how.Thanks!

Instructions:

Can somebody please give me some sort of instructions on how to backup my stock rom before i install smartlucky?
    THANKS!:D:D:D:D

From the boot menu choose the back-up option that's all !!!

miazza
    Vodafone to launch mobile money transfer service

LONDON— Vodafone, which owns 65% of Vodacom, will launch an international mobile money transfer service as part of a wider expansion of the M-Pesa platform, which has become a popular payment system in countries such as Kenya.

M-Pesa was launched by Vodafone in 2007, and has become a quasi-currency because it is used so widely in Kenya. It is also available in other African countries such as South Africa and Tanzania.

Vodafone is expected to announce this week that the M-Pesa platform will be available across borders, allowing customers in countries that have adopted the system to send money from overseas.

Mobile-payment systems are a growing focus for telecoms groups that see both a means of attracting and keeping customers and a new way to generate revenue through associated activities, such as advertising and discount coupons.

However, few have been as successful as M-Pesa. Its attraction lies in a technologically simple text message-based transfer system that allows people to be paid, and pay, using their cellphones. The advantages of security and low transaction costs have helped its popularity in countries where many people do not have a bank account.

M-Pesa will be connected to an international remittance hub called HomeSend — operated by Bics, a money transfer company — which covers more than 21 money transfer businesses in 35 countries.

The expansion of the service comes as Vodafone seeks to increase the mobile money business in other countries, and beyond basic payment systems into other areas of financial services such as insurance and banking. M-Pesa is used by more than 15-million customers, generating more than 165-million transactions a month.

The platform is already being tested in India, for example, which is seen by the UK-listed telecoms group as a potentially vast market for the service. Other countries will be looked at, according to those familiar with the service. Vodafone declined to comment, although a spokesman said it was always exploring options for expansion of the platform.

Vodafone owns 40% of Safaricom, the leading mobile operator in Kenya, and has identified demand among many Kenyans working abroad to send money home using a secure mobile transfer service.

Separately, the UK’s leading mobile operators will unveil their joint commerce platform this week using the new name "Weve" ahead of an official launch in November.

The new company, which had been code named "Project Oscar", will market a "digital wallet" scheme that has been backed by EE, O2 and Vodafone. This platform will allow third-party debt and credit cards to be stored on a secure service on the phone to be used as payment.

Source