[Q] nexus 7 WiFi problem

Search This thread

kittymoonstah

Dec 30, 2013
As I was walking my nexus 7 slipped out of my hand and fell on the floor. A couple of minutes later I tried to turn on WiFi, but it couldn't get a strong signal. However if I'm close to the router it connects. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Fuzzra

Apr 17, 2008
Winchester
Nexus 7
Wileyfox Storm
You probably only need to pop the back off, make sure it's not full of grit and fluff, and put it back on again.
Just run your thumbnail around under the back bezel, starting from the middle of a long edge - knives or screwdrivers won't do the plastic any good. Try to avoid touching components and contacts once you have it open. Static won't do the components any good, and fingerprints aren't great on spring contacts.
The cover will easily clip back on with gentle pressure at the edges.

kittymoonstah

Dec 30, 2013
You probably only need to pop the back off, make sure it's not full of grit and fluff, and put it back on again.
Just run your thumbnail around under the back bezel, starting from the middle of a long edge - knives or screwdrivers won't do the plastic any good. Try to avoid touching components and contacts once you have it open. Static won't do the components any good, and fingerprints aren't great on spring contacts.
The cover will easily clip back on with gentle pressure at the edges.

I did..but it didn't help :/

kittymoonstah

Dec 30, 2013
Out of interest, how did you fix it?
It's always good to put your solution at the end just in case somebody find the thread two years from now and it helps them. Also, I'm terribly nosy and like collecting fixes in my brain. ;)
Well.. I'll try to explain it. It's rather simple. When you see the nexus 7 without its lid, search for the two little gold raised up thingies that connect with two little plates on the inside of the lid itself. I just raised them a little bit with my finger so that they could have better contact with the plates. Then just close it and voila. Im sorry for not being all technical with you xD

TKG26

Aug 29, 2008
Well.. I'll try to explain it. It's rather simple. When you see the nexus 7 without its lid, search for the two little gold raised up thingies that connect with two little plates on the inside of the lid itself. I just raised them a little bit with my finger so that they could have better contact with the plates. Then just close it and voila. Im sorry for not being all technical with you xD

Interesting. Do any of these spring contacts have anything to do with wifi signal strength?

I own 2 first gen nexus7 stock kitkat never rooted... Both suffer from wifi authorization issues and signal drops..

I just grabed one after reading this, its wifi as usual was not connected. I popped the back off and adjusted all the contact springs. I think there was 6 or 8 of them.. Anyway i got wifi connection right away.. A fluke? Or do any of these springs and the back cover effect wifi?

kittymoonstah

Dec 30, 2013
Interesting. Do any of these spring contacts have anything to do with wifi signal strength?

I own 2 first gen nexus7 stock kitkat never rooted... Both suffer from wifi authorization issues and signal drops..

I just grabed one after reading this, its wifi as usual was not connected. I popped the back off and adjusted all the contact springs. I think there was 6 or 8 of them.. Anyway i got wifi connection right away.. A fluke? Or do any of these springs and the back cover effect wifi?
Sorry for this late reply. When I fiddled around with it there were only 2 springs.. :/

TKG26

Aug 29, 2008
No . Problem either way my problem came back.
The fix came from setting up a different security option on the router.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Out of interest, how did you fix it?
    It's always good to put your solution at the end just in case somebody find the thread two years from now and it helps them. Also, I'm terribly nosy and like collecting fixes in my brain. ;)