Re-root after Kitkat update?

Search This thread

tiger123uk

Jan 14, 2014
Hi,

I finally managed to update my Moto G to 4.4.2 by flashing stock rom. However, before I did that, my phone was rooted and I used Titanium Backup to back up some files. I then copied that folder to my PC. Now, I have tried to root the phone again using superboot, but my screen goes purple literally 2 seconds after I load superboot and then I have to switch it off and back on again. It hasn't installed SuperSU so I'm assuming my phone isn't rooted any more. I am a total noob in these matters and I really do appreciate all the help given on this site.

I would greatly appreciate if you can help me by getting my files from Titanium backup back up again, and how to re-root my phone. I have searched the forum but I didnt find anything too similar to my situation and I don't understand a lot of the terminology. It took me a really long time to even learn how to flash the stock rom!

So I would appreciate any help. Thank you

tiger123uk

Jan 14, 2014
Root option 2 doesn't work either. It just says "waiting for device" at the first stage. When I click on recovery, it says no command. USB debugging has been enabled. Im confused!

Last edited:

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
Put latest superSU zip on /sdcard on phone. Copy across to phone using USB or use airdroid app. Search internet for superSU zip by chainfire developer.

Flash custom recovery CWM (search forum for it). Be sure to get the one for 4.4.2 bootloader.

Boot into CWM recovery (boot to bootloader and choose recovery option using UP volume button) and choose to flash a zip file and then pick the superSU zip.

You are now rooted and have a custom recovery.

For titanium backup, either copy to phone using USB or use airdroid app.

If you still have probs then let me know and I can give more detailed instructions tomorrow when I am at my laptop along with links to files needed.

Last edited:

tiger123uk

Jan 14, 2014
Put latest superSU zip on /sdcard on phone. Copy across to phone using USB or use airdroid app. Search internet for superSU zip by chainfire developer.

Flash custom recovery CWM (search forum for it). Be sure to get the one for 4.4.2 bootloader.

Boot into CWM recovery (boot to bootloader and choose recovery option using UP volume button) and choose to flash a zip file and then pick the superSU zip.

You are now rooted and have a custom recovery.

For titanium backup, either copy to phone using USB or use airdroid app.

If you still have probs then let me know and I can give more detailed instructions tomorrow when I am at my laptop along with links to files needed.

Thank you very much for your help. Just a few questions if you dont mind. How do I put the SuperSU zip on the /sdcard part of the phone? When I access my phone via the pc, i cant find that folder.

Also, how do I go about flashing the custom recovery CWM. I don't know how to do this. The rest I should be OK with.

Thanks again pal

serophia

Feb 8, 2013
California
Go to android development section and follow the cwm 6.0.4.6 guide you can get the latest supersu from chainfire website just DL the zip plug your phone in and open your device and place the zip there. Then when you flash cwm don't reboot just move on to updating SD card and flash the super Su zip

Sent from my XT1034 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
Thank you very much for your help. Just a few questions if you dont mind. How do I put the SuperSU zip on the /sdcard part of the phone? When I access my phone via the pc, i cant find that folder.

Also, how do I go about flashing the custom recovery CWM. I don't know how to do this. The rest I should be OK with.

Thanks again pal

When you access phone via PC do you see a list of directories, eg data, documents, pictures. If so that is the sdcard. Just put the superSU zip in any folder, or just copy it across so its not even in an actual folder. As long as its on there its fine.

If you don't see the folders then maybe you don't have the right drivers for the phone. In this case may be easiest to use airdroid app.

You may need drivers for fastboot below though anyway - not sure on windows as I use Linux. Bit of reading on forums should help with that.

CWM - have you used fastboot before? Basically fastboot is a program you put on your PC to allow you to flash images to your phone. You will enter a command like

fastboot flash recovery cwm.img

Where cwm.img is the CWM recovery file. You need to be in the bootloader to allow the phone to accept fastboot commands. The cwm.img is then flashed to the phones recovery partition.

Check the forums for a link to a fastboot program, that's the easiest way to get it.

Last edited:

tiger123uk

Jan 14, 2014
Honestly, thank you so much for your help guys, a special thanks to you scott. I kinda understand now!

Now, I did all that, but I got a problem. When I try to flash CWM by using "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

On my phone, it says mismatched partition size (recovery). Also, a bit off topic but when I try to restore factory settings, the phone doesn't do it properly. The android logo comes up....then it disappears, then appears again and disappears and so on.

Have I messed something up?

serophia

Feb 8, 2013
California
The partition mismatch is fine try factory reset on the phone setting not by recovery and see if that works

Sent from my XT1034 using xda app-developers app

tiger123uk

Jan 14, 2014
Thank you so much guys. Got it sorted now. God bless

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app