[Humor] I remember when...(your noob days)

Search This thread

ProDriver77

Nov 19, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
Wow! I'm only turning 35 in a few days, and you all are already making me feel OLD!

I remember my first phone: An Audiovox hand-held Mio I bought from CellularOne. My friends thought the fact I had voicemail and didn't have to carry a "bag phone" was cool.

I've been though more phones than I can count over the years. First Smartphone was an HTC Touch, then Touch Pro, then Touch Pro 2 (where I learned to unlock the bootloader and flash custom ROMs). Took a while to make the switch to Android, even though I hated how RAM-hoggy and slow the Touch Pro 2 was.

One day, after playing around with an Epic at a local Sprint store, I was hooked. The screen clarity and responsiveness and intuitive UI blew me away! Didn't think I'd ever need to root it, but then after seeing how easy it was, I've been playing with Syndicate Frozen, MarcusantRom, CleanGB, and now CM9 since.

I don't think I'll really get into developing my own ROMs, as marriage and 3 kids and full-time career as a truck driver supersede all that. However, I may try to find a "Linux for Dummies" book so I can start understanding the coding a little better (and maybe start doing some tweaking or theming).

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

zman519

Oct 27, 2010
the Land of Beer & Cheese
I remember when I searched adult things on the android market with my old HeroC and wanted to erase the search history then found out about rooting online after a Google search :)

A little bit OT. But I got a girls gone wiled dvd from best buy & my xbox 1 (the good one) would not play the dvd cuz it was a regen free disc. Then I got in to xbox moding, $50 or some beers man I modded so many of them. I was even modding them over seas, rooting modding xboxes samthing right...

Sent from the Drivers Seat of my Suby txting and Driving doing 100MPH+ in a school zone! Ha.

pjames

Feb 22, 2009
Huntsville
my first smart phone was a sony ericsson w950. it was unlocked and i had it on att. i thought i was the **** when i had that phone. then a year later all the good phones started coming out and i got the htc fuze. I found the xda site while at work(i used to do tech support for att) looking for a solution to a customer's problem. I started out by doing some small mods to my phone, like custom background on all tabs of sense. i got into custom roms because the fuze and all other touchpros were being left out of the 6.5 update. which the community brought to the fuze any way lol. that phone lasted me a soild year and a half and then the hardware keyboard went out. and now i have my epic and love it! thanks to the 4g community. devs keep up the good work . i appreciate the hard work and effort you guys put into your work:cool:

Fire n mage

Oct 13, 2010
newport news, VA
I might end up keeping my epic for a year n a half since no new keyboard phones are surfacing. Like lots of others, i hads the samsung moment, n i puts da live wallpaper to beat my moms Evo 4g, lol she's so newb. Anywayz, i learned about rooting when i heard ppl talking about it making your phone faster n stuff, so, since I wanted it to be fast like the Droid 1 i rooted, very easy with the updater tool. Never learned how to dev anything, since my lappy hates windows, and i have "kubuntu" not "ubuntu" im not sure if they behave the same way, anyone know?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
I might end up keeping my epic for a year n a half since no new keyboard phones are surfacing. Like lots of others, i hads the samsung moment, n i puts da live wallpaper to beat my moms Evo 4g, lol she's so newb. Anywayz, i learned about rooting when i heard ppl talking about it making your phone faster n stuff, so, since I wanted it to be fast like the Droid 1 i rooted, very easy with the updater tool. Never learned how to dev anything, since my lappy hates windows, and i have "kubuntu" not "ubuntu" im not sure if they behave the same way, anyone know?

Kubuntu works the same as Ubuntu. Just use Kate instead of gedit and such. I prefer Linux mint debian edition.

orlzzt

Apr 23, 2011
Daytona Beach, FL
Ha! I enjoyed Shiny's OP, as I had a similar situation. I knew I wanted out from my BlackBerry 8830, and my eldest son, daughter and wife had gotten the Evo 4G. I was so used to the tactile keyboard of the BlackBerry, I used that as my reasoning for going with the Epic 4G. Found RandyShear (as most of us did), DroidDemos and Jagstzr, and "rooting" became part of my permanent vocabulary.

I remember when I was afraid to flash a Rom (after using Noobnl's one-click root) because I figured I'd brick my phone. I went with PTFMedic's BYOR, and sure enough, crashed everything. Changed over to SRF 1.1.0 and the rest is history.

And Darkie; I'll head off your "goodbye" thread now; "PLEASE DON'T GO!!". Lol.

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Heck...I might have even asked "What's the best ROM"...lol. After given a few suggestions I ended up reading for another 3 weeks before deciding. Ah...those DK28 days! And the Bonsai/SuperNova/Midnight Era...memories!

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Who was on the Epic Bonsai dev team?

Randy T and Mammon with Jaronow joining later for themeing and mods. I had the pleasure of being on their Alpha test group right after they started the new website.

Sent from my PantechP4100 using xda premium

G

GuestK00145

Kenny what happened to team bonsai? I miss their roms: (

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Kenny what happened to team bonsai? I miss their roms: (

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

Kernel chef Randy got hired on to a big project and we hardly hear from him. It is some project with Android but that's all the NDA will allow him to say.

zman519

Oct 27, 2010
the Land of Beer & Cheese
Kernel chef Randy got hired on to a big project and we hardly hear from him. It is some project with Android but that's all the NDA will allow him to say.

I was just looking at the website today. That's a crazy nda, that's like saying you work on computers. Well glad he's got a good gig going.

Sent from the Drivers Seat of my Suby txting and Driving doing 100MPH+ in a school zone! Ha.

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
I was just looking at the website today. That's a crazy nda, that's like saying you work on computers. Well glad he's got a good gig going.

Yes. He mentioned he was burning through his retirement funds very quickly so glad he is paying the bills and working in a field he loves.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A little background before I begin. To be honest, all throughout Elementary, Middle School, and my first three years of Highschool, I never had a phone. There was no need for me to have one, and if I did need it, I'd call from the office, or a friend's cell. Plus I never lived too far from school to simply walk.

Junior year near my birthday was when my sisters, and mom surprised me with a "phone" it was one of those Nokia Phones that were very simple, with only skydiver, bowling, and backgammon for "fun". I was so pleased and glad, now i had my OWN number, now if a girl asked me for it, I had something for her to write down instead of lamely saying "sorry, i don't have one"

The phone probably lasted about 3 months until again, my family decided I didn't need one. Plus, I hardly used it and they didn't want to pay another bill.

Senior year, my mother gifted me a Blackberry 8130 (Business Edition) with the backlit keys. The provider was Cbeyond. I felt like such a pro, now I had a corporate device, with business service, and I felt good. That was short lived as well, apparently calls and texting weren't free and my mom had to cancel the $700 bill.

After High-School Graduation, I immediately began to work. (so much for vacations)

With my own money, I bought a cheap 100 dumb-phone from MetroPCS, a popular provider aimed at MetroPolitan areas, similar to Cricket for those who haven't heard of them. Without getting too personal, let's just say I partied too heavily one day and destroyed the phone.

Bought myself a Touch Pro 2 off craigslist from someone who was "moving" to Android. I didn't care what this Android OS he was switching to was, I was too busy being mesmerized by the eye-candy Sense running on Windows Phone 6. I got geeked up at the idea of having eye-candy Sense, and a Windows Phone in one that I now felt like my phone was a computer.

I was happy until i noticed it was laggy, and when i tried looking for apps, (The best app on there was probably Youtube.) or updates, it was very limited, and was sad to find out that support was being dropped. Nonetheless, I made the best of it, that's where I began using programming tools like cdma workshop and qpst. Didn't take long for me to figure out how to run it on MetroPCS. Another thing that captivated me about the phone was the KEYBOARD. I thought how genius it was to have something so handy, conveniently built right in. I learned about the "Xandroid" project, and was in love with Android running on my outdated windows phone. I learned to like and understand the efficiency of having an Android phone and soon wanted to look for one. I had noticed all over forums online that people had dropped my phone, and went over to the "Epic" I remember thinking how funny of a title that was, but I didn't pay too much attention to it, nor did I bother looking it up.

Wasn't till October 2011 that I decided to look for an Android phone on google, then search for its price on craigslist. I remember thinking how much of a headache it was to look for one, there were SO many phones, and I didn't know what to pick, my sister had recently bought the Evo, and being a Mexican with pride, I didn't want to piggy-back and get the same phone, but something that rivaled the Evo. To show my sister how much cooler my phone was. I came across the Samsung Captivate and Vibrant, loved the screens, and the phones looked nice. Went to craigslist, made the deal, when i met up with the seller, he said he didn't bring the phone.

I was like "wtf?, so you came three hours away from where you live, asking me to bring my money, just so you show up without it?" He said "Listen, I've got a better phone to offer you, and for the same price, unlike the deal i offered you, this one is BRAND-NEW" Turned out he was an authorized dealer and the phone was the Samsung Epic 4G.

I felt the smoothness of the case as i took it out of its box. I turned the phone on, being the first time I had ever seen a SuperAMOLED screen, and needing glasses, the brightness from the Samsung Bootup logo made my eyes squint. I had found my phone. The responsiveness blew the TouchPro2 out of the water, and while I tried to keep my cool in front of the seller, i pretended like it wasn't anything special. I ended up making the purchase, getting it flashed to MetroPCS, moving away from Texas, and re-programming it to Virgin Mobile here in Oregon.

And that's my Cell-Phone life story. Why did I share that? I don't know, but trust me, I appreciate my phone ALOT. So for you noobs out there that simply bought it and don't see what's so great, it's a big step-up, cherish it.

NOW back to the Humor!

I remember when I had my Touch Pro 2 and I saw that it had an app that said XDA, and this weird talk about root, and seeing a post with people saying, "good thing my phone's rooted!"

And I thought to myself, hm... I don't know what this root thing is, but obviously, it means backing up your phone's information to this Xda-Developer's Site on a backup server or something. Eh. Guess Rooting is handy.

:p
    I remember when I rooted my samsung moment entirely because I wanted a live wallpaper which was disabled by default.

Those who had a moment will understand just how noobish it was to bog that phone down with a live wallpaper haha.

Sent from my CM9 Epic 4G
    My first phone that I modded was the T-mobile Wing. Lol. And SDX is still there and kicking. Most is just a copy from here now. The moment was getting 2.3. Lmao. That poor phone. This has been one of the best group of ppl. If not the best on XDA. Our forums are the cleanest, respected, and everyone knows everyone and gets along. I go look into other phones and I wanna just go off on them. Like wtf, its so bad the search button says fu I'm not touching that. I hope we move to a newer phone together. ;0) We've all noobed together.
    I remember when I searched adult things on the android market with my old HeroC and wanted to erase the search history then found out about rooting online after a Google search :)

Kubuntu works the same as Ubuntu. Just use Kate instead of gedit and such. I prefer Linux mint debian edition.