System Update IMM76Q: VZN Galaxy Nexus

Search This thread

I Am Marino

Mar 13, 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
Anybody else notice the serial number on the top speaker grill.
Test unit?

EDIT: Went back and saw someone else noticed it.
Most likely, screenshot in OP isn't actually OP's phone as I saw this story reported on another website already.

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
IMM76Q could easily have a radio fix in addition to the patent stuff. We all know IMM76K has issues holding 4G connections, especially indoors. Even on a somewhat OK 4G signal, it'll cut back down to 3G. That's something that could be fixed in IMM76Q in addition to the patent fix because I guarantee that radio issue could be fixed in code (especially if it's a kernel problem). If you could fix it in code, you wouldn't need an entire new radio firmware.

Remember on the GSM Galaxy Nexus how IMM76D had all those problems with the cellular connection cutting out entirely until you turned the screen back on? That turned out to be a kernel issue. IMM76I (which fixed it) didn't include a new radio, only a new kernel.

So perhaps the VZW reps are right. Maybe in addition to this including the patent fix, whatever it turns out to be, it will also fix the 3/4G switch issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: segv11

segv11

Mar 19, 2012
Lets see if we can get a link to the update zip without installing it. Then we can unpack it, see what's in it, and repack a CWM version with only the parts we want.

Sent from my unified-search-enabled Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2.

El Madhatter

Jul 3, 2011
Roswell
Update: Imm76q

I have attempted several times to install the IMM76Q update without success. I believe the device is a testing model, but not quite sure. See results below. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMAG0244.jpg
    IMAG0244.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 504
  • IMAG0245.jpg
    IMAG0245.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 504
  • IMAG0246.jpg
    IMAG0246.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 487
Reactions: efrant

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Reactions: chandradithya

segv11

Mar 19, 2012
Despite its small size, it is a pretty extensive update. It includes a kernel patch, as well as updates to most of the system files.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Drats. Reverse-engineering this one to see what is new improved functionality, and what is Apple-imposed sodomy of the Framework will be difficult. :-(

norm12

Aug 17, 2010
Lets see if we can get a link to the update zip without installing it. Then we can unpack it, see what's in it, and repack a CWM version with only the parts we want.

If that works out could we flash it over cm9?

Sent by Logo the turtle

segv11

Mar 19, 2012
If that works out could we flash it over cm9?

Sent by Logo the turtle

No, it is an OTA - an incremental update - and cannot be applied to _anything_ other than the totally-stock ROM it was designed for.

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
Guys it looks like all that's new is the neutered Google Search app. Kernel version is the exact same so I'm not sure why there's a kernel patch.

norm12

Aug 17, 2010
No, it is an OTA - an incremental update - and cannot be applied to _anything_ other than the totally-stock ROM it was designed for.

I kinda figured that but was hoping... If it fixes the 4g situation I could go back to stock for a little while

Sent by Logo the turtle

E

eviloar

Despite its small size, it is a pretty extensive update. It includes a kernel patch, as well as updates to most of the system files.

All those 1kb "changes" are just check files. They're only there for reference they aren't actually being updated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I received an OTA software update with build number IMM76Q. Has anyone else received it?
    Queue the, "When I try to flash it I get an android laying on its back" posts. :)

I've noticed HTC does this, so I assume everyone else does too:

The patch files may contain no code changes, but merely signature/ version number updates. I haven't looked so far, but if they are 1-2kb patch files, there is a 99.99% chance it is just a meta-inf update.

It makes sense, as I am sure all they do is diff the current build from the previous and build the patch from there.

Edit: Now that I have looked, the real meat of the patch is in GoogleQuickSearchBox.odex (code for Google Search), framework.odex, and ext.jar. Even the kernel update is probably just a build date update, and no code change.

I would be surprised if this is much more than the nerf patch.
    Thanks to El MadHatter...

http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-mysid-IMM76Q-from-IMM76K.b91e5f74.zip

It'll be mirrored on randomphantasmagoria.com later tonight in case Google takes it down.

Lol nice "screenshot".