[Q] WebOS?

Search This thread

wendorf12213

Dec 25, 2013
Hi I would ask this in the developer forum but i can't post there yet so I'm stuck here...I was wondering if it would be possible to get webos on the kindle fire 2nd gen I know its not the popular but I think webos would be a great addition to the list of os's we could run...Thanks for reading this.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Wow, never heard of it, had to look it up... Well if its open source it might be possible, but it doesn't look like its using a android base, only a Linux base from what I read. And yes I know android is Linux based but there's some stuff that's compiled a certain way for android Linux. Like the fact we use a android arm compiler and such and some android options in the kernel defconfig. I don't have time to look into it myself, I already am trying to debug Firefox OS, which from what I heard may be similar to webOS in the sense I think both are HTML driven. I have a port running on the 7" HD, shouldn't take much doing to compile a build for the other models as well, I just haven't gotten around to it. I might take a look at webOS's source code just to see what kinda porting process it has but from what I read its more of an os used on TV's than phones at the moment. Then again that was wiki.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

wendorf12213

Dec 25, 2013
I forgot about Firefox os I think it would be awesome to have it running I could try and help you port it if you wouldn't mind guiding me a little in the beginning. I will also see about porting web os myself but it could take along time.

Sent from my Amazon Otter2 using Tapatalk

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
My Firefox port is pretty much ready to compile for the other kindles theoretically, I just might have to adjust some selinux properties like I did on the 7" that overlapped with ones set by hashcode. I was just holding off on building it for the other devices because of numerous bugs I've been trying to fix but I don't know c++ and I haven't had any devs volunteer. I might run a build off sometime this week I'll let you test since I don't have the device. I might have to clear my Firefox os source code directory out soon to make room for a project I'm trying to do on a old pos phone that has hardly any support. Long story short I'm cheap, have no micro-sdcard's handy, and can't flash any ROMs on it from cwm without a sdcard so I said why not compile twrp... Then I found out that I couldn't find any of the device tree published for the cm 10.1 build... But yea maybe I'll build a test build and see if it works, more than likely though I'm assuming video playback will be broken. If you know any c++ and want to help with porting I have the source code published on my github with some instructions, just look at my thread in the 7" dev section. Not sure if I committed the gralloc fix changes yet to the repo so it switches out of shmem.

wendorf12213

Dec 25, 2013
I don't know any c++ but within the next few months I'll hopefully be getting into college for c++ and java and I do plan on learning a little before then so hopefully with enough work we could get Firefox os running just as good as android on these tablets

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Sweet, I should try signing up again this year and see if I can get in myself. Had issues in the past because I don't have an SAT on record due to some unfortunate circumstances.

wendorf12213

Dec 25, 2013
im going to my community college and i'll be able to take the SAT placement test there that might be something you could look into i dont know how community colleges to it other states or cities but where i live thats an option

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I assume we can take SAT's here at the colleges but I graduated highschool about 3 years ago so I need some prepping.

Well good news is I updated some of the setup so now I can begin a port for kf2, bad news is I am missing something from my manifest I assume, and so I keep getting a nice "no rule to make target" error, I have a theory as to what I'm missing but I'm not positive.

wendorf12213

Dec 25, 2013
Awesome I can't wait until Firefox is on here and due to some health issues ( flu like cold ) I havent touched my computer in a few days I should get back to working on stuff today of tomorrow tho