New Market works with NC!

Search This thread

Bimboy

Dec 5, 2006
For those of you who got the Market working, there is a Market update that is getting released. I installed it on my HTC HD2, but the same file would not work on the Nook. I did some searching and found one that works on the Galaxy Tab w/stock Eclair. It works on the NC!! :D

Requirement: You MUST have a working market. Follow this thread or this thread for more excellent info (and work) on enabling the Market.

Simply replace the Vending.apk in /system/app/ with this file (rename it Vending.apk first), reboot, and you are good to go! I would recommend backing up the original Vending.apk so that you can replace it if anything should go wrong for you.

You can use Root Explorer with /system/app in r/w mode, but it is simple to do via adb as well:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
adb shell mv /system/app/Vending.apk /system/app/oldVending.apk
adb push Vending.apk /system/app
adb reboot

**If you have problems, simply delete the Vending.apk, and replace it with the oldVending.apk

There is a newer version of the Market posted by devis and Xhorder in this post. Please use it instead. It fixes the weird star artifacts of this version. Instructions are exactly the same.

DO NOT simply click it to install. If it happened to work for you that way, you were lucky. You really should replace the Vending.apk with this file. Also, I saw one user report that the search function didn't allow Market searches. I believe they are the only one with that issue, and I'm not sure how they installed this. I assume they did not follow instructions, as my guide backs up the original file, and the person with the issue is asking for the orig apk. So, YMMV, but follow this instructions, and you should be fine.

Attachments

• com.android.vending.apk
    2 MB · Views: 9,989
Last edited:

feisty_noodle

Jan 16, 2010
Very nice!
I actually found that the new market apk you provided installs fine as an update (no replacement of /system/app/Vending.apk needed). I opted for that as the safer option.

Thanks again!

johnopsec

Dec 7, 2010
Works very well! Very nice interface.

One issue: The "OK" and "Update" buttons are sometimes just slivers at the top of the screen. Doesn't prevent it from working though. You just have to be careful with your clicking. :D

Adding: This version doesn't have the problem of not listing all of the apps when you're in portrait mode. It simply works. And when you tell it to install/update an app, it does it RIGHT FRIGGIN' NOW and I mean Fassssst!

Last edited:

ddenson

Mar 21, 2010
New York
Thanks! Works great.

One question - Is there any way to get the fingerprint from the tab w/eclair? This would potentially give us access to some tablet-specific apps, like WSJ...

barrosd12

Dec 1, 2010
Anybody tried searching? Mine's kicking me back into the NC's search engine as opposed to the market one...

Bimboy

Dec 5, 2006
Anybody tried searching? Mine's kicking me back into the NC's search engine as opposed to the market one...

The old market did that too. I don't think we'll see a fix for that before a Froyo port. The upper search link doesn't always work either. The Market is expecting the upper status bar to be on the top of the screen, and we do not have that.

donballz

Aug 26, 2010
So frustrated! I finally get my market working today and then I try this upgrade and it won't work. So I try to go back to the old one and it has stopped working too. I don't get what I did wrong. Of everything I did to get my nook rooted and working, this was the simplest part.

neozen21

Oct 11, 2010
Henderson, NV
New version won't work in mine either. After accepting the agreement, it just closes.
Market 2.26 is supposed to be for Froyo+ only. How did you guys get it to Work?

Switched back to old Market.. everything is ok again

king conan

Jan 20, 2010
I updated it with Astro and it worked fine. It's better to install apk's with Astro than others methods.

Bimboy

Dec 5, 2006
Guys, as I mentioned, do not just adb install, or click do a normal install. Save out your /system/app/Vending.apk and use this file to replace it, after renaming it Vending.apk. Then reboot.

I also tried simply installing it, and the Market app would only briefly flash or I could get to the catalog but not get to the details page of any app without force closing. That's why you should back up the Vending.apk file.

So, REPLACE the /system/app/Vending.apk, reboot and you'll be fine.

First, rename the file to Vending.apk
Use adb:

adb shell cp /system/app/Vending.apk /system/app/oldVending.apk
adb push Vending.apk /system/app/
adb reboot

Last edited:
Reactions: phirephotog

king conan

Jan 20, 2010
I guess Astro knows what is doing because before update it warns about you' re updating a system app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those of you who got the Market working, there is a Market update that is getting released. I installed it on my HTC HD2, but the same file would not work on the Nook. I did some searching and found one that works on the Galaxy Tab w/stock Eclair. It works on the NC!! :D

Requirement: You MUST have a working market. Follow this thread or this thread for more excellent info (and work) on enabling the Market.

Simply replace the Vending.apk in /system/app/ with this file (rename it Vending.apk first), reboot, and you are good to go! I would recommend backing up the original Vending.apk so that you can replace it if anything should go wrong for you.

You can use Root Explorer with /system/app in r/w mode, but it is simple to do via adb as well:

adb shell mv /system/app/Vending.apk /system/app/oldVending.apk
    adb push Vending.apk /system/app
    adb reboot

**If you have problems, simply delete the Vending.apk, and replace it with the oldVending.apk

There is a newer version of the Market posted by devis and Xhorder in this post. Please use it instead. It fixes the weird star artifacts of this version. Instructions are exactly the same.

DO NOT simply click it to install. If it happened to work for you that way, you were lucky. You really should replace the Vending.apk with this file. Also, I saw one user report that the search function didn't allow Market searches. I believe they are the only one with that issue, and I'm not sure how they installed this. I assume they did not follow instructions, as my guide backs up the original file, and the person with the issue is asking for the orig apk. So, YMMV, but follow this instructions, and you should be fine.
    Guys, before giving up, make sure your permissions are set correctly.

$ adb shell
    # mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
    # cd /system/app
    # ls -l Vending.apk

This should give you:
    -rw-r--r-- root root 2122619 2010-12-17 09:22 Vending.apk

If it does not show '-rw-r--r--' , then:

# chmod 644 Vending.apk

You can also set permissions this in Root Explorer, if you push the button at the top of screen in /system/app, and allow r/w access. Long tap the Vending.apk file > Permissions, and set it User, Group, Others Read access, and User Write access. (this equals chmod 644 access)

AGAIN do not just click this file to install it. Follow the directions, please. :)
    Guys, as I mentioned, do not just adb install, or click do a normal install. Save out your /system/app/Vending.apk and use this file to replace it, after renaming it Vending.apk. Then reboot.

I also tried simply installing it, and the Market app would only briefly flash or I could get to the catalog but not get to the details page of any app without force closing. That's why you should back up the Vending.apk file.

So, REPLACE the /system/app/Vending.apk, reboot and you'll be fine.

First, rename the file to Vending.apk
    Use adb:

adb shell cp /system/app/Vending.apk /system/app/oldVending.apk
    adb push Vending.apk /system/app/
    adb reboot
    How can I fix the boxes? Also, trying to search from this view is almost impossible, I can't tap the search icon without hitting the carousel.

attachment.php

In the OP, there is a reference to use a different vendor.apk than what is included in the post. I had originally downloaded there apk that was attached to the OP and had the exact same problem. Once I switched to the apk that he links from another thread, all of my market issues are gone.

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using XDA App
    I was able to run and install the new APK without copying to the system/app folder by simply using Root Explorer to browse to system/app first and change permissions to R/W. After that when I used Astro File Manager to install the new APK, I selected the option to UPGRADE and it installed perfectly.