[Q] Netflix on Acer Iconia Tab A500

Search This thread

dkhuizenga

Oct 30, 2010
Hello all, I am new here so I'm sorry if I am ignorent of anything :)
I have an Iconia tab, and have been patiently for the netflix app to be released. Well it finally seems like it has been done here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1076150
My problem is when I download the apk and try to open it I get the error ''cannot open file''.
Any suggestions? Thanks

_motley

Aug 17, 2010
Download the apk with Firefox mobile or your desktop PC instead of the default browser. AFAIK, streaming still doesn't work for us, just queue management.

Reactions: Samjsanchez

VillainousVivi

Dec 13, 2010
Olympia, WA
the device check disabled apk asks you to upgrade to the latest version on the market (which doesn't exist on our device), and the non-check disabled version will let you browse, but if you try to play a video it pops an error saying the device is not supported.

Hopefully we'll get something that works in the near future. Netflix claims to be working on other devices and it looked like tablets were on the list as well.

dkhuizenga

Oct 30, 2010
Thanks everyone for your answers. Any chance we can keep this thread going as an update to everyone wondering when netflix will be brought over so users do not have to scour the web in search of the answer?

phoenixbennu

Apr 29, 2011
If I understand correctly, that requires root, and I do not want do downgrade to gingerbread.

I have my acer rooted, but not well enough it seems. I still run honeycomb, and in fact still get firmware updates from acer. I rooted it so I can setup my two 1tb external hard drives to it lol. just used gingerbreak and a couple other things post root. However, i did try and edit the build.prop but wont allow me to save, just read only. I havent messed with it extensively, but seems like there should be a way.

Last edited:

snickle

Sep 6, 2009
I have my acer rooted, but not well enough it seems. I still run honeycomb, and in fact still get firmware updates from acer. I rooted it so I can setup my two 1tb external hard drives to it lol. just used gingerbreak and a couple other things post root. However, i did try and edit the build.prop but wont allow me to save, just read only. I havent messed with it extensively, but seems like there should be a way.

If you use root explorer it will let you mount the file system read-write so you can edit the file.

Crsdr37

Aug 3, 2010
Concord
Alright guys I am not sure if it has been tested but when I get home. I have the lib files that fixed the playback issue on sense 3.0 I will install the deactive device check version and push the lib Files It may actually work!! I just tested on another device that had playback issues worked flawlessly!! Ill let you guys know in like 2 hours or so when I get home. :D

entropy.of.avarice

Apr 29, 2010
St. Louis
Right on!

Crsdr37 - sounds promising! Let us know how it goes - since Netflix is totally dragging on getting their software working. My girlfriend's mother uses a HTC Evo 4 from Sprint - netflix support has been broken for weeks for them, and the OTA patch they tried to push out did not work. Total fustercluck :)

Crsdr37

Aug 3, 2010
Concord
Crsdr37 - sounds promising! Let us know how it goes - since Netflix is totally dragging on getting their software working. My girlfriend's mother uses a HTC Evo 4 from Sprint - netflix support has been broken for weeks for them, and the OTA patch they tried to push out did not work. Total fustercluck :)

I actually just fixed it on my evo 15 minutes ago. When I get out I will pm you and get some information from you on her evo.

Crsdr37

Aug 3, 2010
Concord
Alright guys so after dismantling netflix.apk the latest version the issue is within one of the files called nrdp.js Think of it as the gate keeper to our netflix enjoyment. It checks certain areas of the device here is the list we need to bypass to get the rsa key injected into our devices for access to the netflix servers.

1.Get Model
2.Get Software Version
3.Get Certification Version
4.Get ESN
5.Get ESN Prefix

Those are all the functions it calls for device checking. That I could find. There is also a certificate file ca.pem that controls how long the app works for before you have to get new certificate that is encrypted up the ass so big roadblock..... Sorry I tried and will continue to try but it does not look good...:( Damn those large companies with their big sticks.

ingrouille

May 20, 2011
Installed but error connecting after selecting a vid

I have an stock iconia with 3.1 and tonight I installed the apk mentioned in this article:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...neycomb-devices-and-possibly-most-phones-too/

App runs but when I select a vid I get:
"Sorry, we could not reach the Netflix service. Please try again later. If the problems persists please visit the Netflix website (12001)."
Anyone else getting this? Any workarounds?

DigitalKaizer

Feb 13, 2010
I have an stock iconia with 3.1 and tonight I installed the apk mentioned in this article:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...neycomb-devices-and-possibly-most-phones-too/

App runs but when I select a vid I get:
"Sorry, we could not reach the Netflix service. Please try again later. If the problems persists please visit the Netflix website (12001)."
Anyone else getting this? Any workarounds?

Same issue.
I wonder if a build prop for 1.3 would work?
Xoom users seem to be having great sucess

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download the apk with Firefox mobile or your desktop PC instead of the default browser. AFAIK, streaming still doesn't work for us, just queue management.
    Annoying that I've been able to watch netflix on a frakkin' ipod touch since what seems time immemorial

APK: http://www.multiupload.com/3A8C4GWL8R
    Patch: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1178773

WARNING - Virtuous Xoom HC3.2 users: Camera apps will FC if you install this (but Netflix will work). My guess is because the libnvomx.so is from HC3.1.
    Don't suppose someone wants to share the original OTA 3.1 version of the libnvomx.so for those of us who got too excited and overwrote our stock version?

Additional Info: I'm on the Acer_A500_4.010.10_COM_GEN2 stock.
    Works!

Don't suppose someone wants to share the original OTA 3.1 version of the libnvomx.so for those of us who got too excited and overwrote our stock version?

Additional Info: I'm on the Acer_A500_4.010.10_COM_GEN2 stock.

Here you are! This is from the leaked 3.1 rom that came out a few weeks before the official one.

Thanks for the patch guys, works wonderfully.

edit: Rehosted on MediaFire in case my Dropbox hits its bandwidth cap.
    Camera and netflix

My camera does not let me even open it. It force closes. Did anybody successfully have Netflix and the cameras working? Could you please let me know what ROM are you using?

Fabian

Acer Iconia. Virtuous Picasso 1.1.0