[GPS FIX] GPS Fix for all* roms 4/18

Search This thread

mikel.canovas

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago
Who this is for - anyone whose GPS has long lock times, and is inaccurate in navigation.

This SHOULD work with all 2.3+ roms (that includes ICS). If it doesn't work for you or provides consistently poor results, please post and let's see if we can figure out why

What it does - replaces /system/etc/gps.conf with the modified version that has much more servers and various tweaks. Please note some tweaks made sacrifice accuracy for speed.

Results - I'm able to consistently get locks within 5 sec and ~10m with multiple sats. Even indoors, results are similar.
Many (including non captivate users) have reported much improved results as well.

How to use it:
  • Backup your old gps.conf (located in /system/etc) in case you prefer your old configuration. But you can always flash your rom again to get it back as well
  • Download the gps fix (Updated with 8 NTP servers) -- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17383148/GPS_mod(8NTP).zip to SD Card
  • Reboot into CWM and flash
  • Reboot and enjoy a fast, awesome GPS
  • NOTE - first lock can take much longer that normal. Don't be surprised if it takes over 1 min. Results should improve from there. Should get ~ 10 sec locks, with multiple satellites.

Still not getting the results you want? Try another modem. KG3 is working great for me. This is a great site that has plenty more CM modems you can try out

UPDATE 4/18 : The GPS mod has been edited so that it now has 8 NTP servers. If you feel the old (classic?) configuration was working great for you, it's still up here

Commentary on screenshots: 1 -- Indoors w/ fix and about ~25 sec (cold start). 2 -- outdoors w/ fix and about ~10 sec (cold start). 3 -- outdoors NO fix and about ~15 seconds (cold start). Indoors with no fix could not be completed as I was not able to get a consistent lock with a cold start.

Credits:
  • H3llstorm
  • Xenova

Non-captivate users -- You will have to edit the gps.conf file yourself in order to provide the most accurate results (since I do not know where you live). Xenova's post has some good instructions you can follow.
also read this post.

Attachments

• 1334622946432.jpg
    1334622946432.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 8,234
  • 1334622364868.jpg
    1334622364868.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 6,855
  • Screenshot_2012-04-16-19-28-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-16-19-28-34.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 6,616
Last edited:

DudeWatsThat

May 5, 2011
Finally! I spent all day yesterday looking for solutions to gps issues, will try this immediately and post feedback. :)

Update:

Gps test:6 sats in view,5 in use,accuracy 40ft
Before:1 sat,1 in use,accuracy 200ft

Rom:Team ICSSGS RC4.2
Modem:UGJL2

Last edited:

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
my GPS fix is highly recommended too.

REMOVED- didnt work for cm9

it also replaces files in "vendor/etc/" and files in "vendor/bin" file as well.

Any files in the Vendor folder (in stock roms) are carrier tweaks. AKA Vendor tweaks. and will supercede any files in the system/etc or system/bin folders.

Last edited:

Linwood.Ferguson

Oct 16, 2010
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I have a captivate running CM9 (build 16), and decided to give it a try. It has historically been a "fair" GPS captivate, mostly working, never well. CM9 it would not work at all. I walked out of our building with it as flashed from CM9, waited 5 minutes, nothing.

Flashed the one in the OP, walked back outside (about 5 minutes elapsed so not a lot of change in constellation), and did not even get to where I had stood before and it was locked.

One data point does not a trend make, but it was a pleasant surprise.

TRusselo: Had seen yours, but it was much more intrusive in terms of files changed and I had less faith that it was compatible with CM9. Is it?

Reactions: desilla

DudeWatsThat

May 5, 2011
I have a captivate running CM9 (build 16), and decided to give it a try. It has historically been a "fair" GPS captivate, mostly working, never well. CM9 it would not work at all. I walked out of our building with it as flashed from CM9, waited 5 minutes, nothing.

Flashed the one in the OP, walked back outside (about 5 minutes elapsed so not a lot of change in constellation), and did not even get to where I had stood before and it was locked.

One data point does not a trend make, but it was a pleasant surprise.

TRusselo: Had seen yours, but it was much more intrusive in terms of files changed and I had less faith that it was compatible with CM9. Is it?

I tried his and I get an error installation aborted.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

The gps still can't get a fix on me using google maps.

mikel.canovas

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago
Linwood - try getting a lock again. As noted, first lock can take significantly longer. Try more tests to see if it improves.
Trusselo - never heard about yours. Can you please give more info about yours and compatibility with roms?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

mikel.canovas

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago
I tried his and I get an error installation aborted.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

The gps still can't get a fix on me using google maps.

Make sure for your first test you're outdoors with a clear sky view to make sure your first lock is able to complete. Should get better from there

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
the effin gps changes 2 copies of each file. (second copy in vendor folder eplained above), no idea about compatibility with CM, dont like it.

huh turns out ICS/CM needs different install-binary.

REMOVED didnt work for cm9

@ mike.canovas - ive already expained more about mine than the OP of the thread did about his. If you want to try it. TRY IT. if you are curious, LOOK INSIDE IT. It worked great for people on gingerbread.

Last edited:

mikel.canovas

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago
Hm. Try trusselo's fix. If what he says is right, you may have some vendor files overriding it. What rom are you running?

DudeWatsThat

May 5, 2011
Sorry. On xda app. Can't see it

Team ICSSGS RC4.2

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

the effin gps changes 2 copies of each file. (second copy in vendor folder eplained above), no idea about compatibility with CM, dont like it.

huh turns out ICS/CM needs different install-binary.

View attachment 899040

@ mike.canovas - ive already expained more about mine than the OP of the thread did about his. If you want to try it. TRY IT. if you are curious, LOOK INSIDE IT. It worked great for people on gingerbread.

Tried that one used gps and got nothing not even the gps icon showed up im rebooting now to see if that solves it.

Btw if it don't work how can I revert the changes made by your zip?

mikel.canovas

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago
To fix his, you're going to have to reflash the rom. Unless you backed up the vendor files changed

mikel.canovas

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago
Dudewatsthat - when using h3llstorms, try another modem as well. See if that helps. I'm using ke3 and getting good results

DudeWatsThat

May 5, 2011
Dudewatsthat - when using h3llstorms, try another modem as well. See if that helps. I'm using ke3 and getting good results

To fix his, you're going to have to reflash the rom. Unless you backed up the vendor files changed

Good thing I did a nandroid backup yesterday.

The modem im using is ugjl2 Ill try that as well.

This just happend right now:I got a random reboot after flashing his.

edit:
I can't try ke3 since this rom can only use cm7 or cm9 modems.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Who this is for - anyone whose GPS has long lock times, and is inaccurate in navigation.

This SHOULD work with all 2.3+ roms (that includes ICS). If it doesn't work for you or provides consistently poor results, please post and let's see if we can figure out why

What it does - replaces /system/etc/gps.conf with the modified version that has much more servers and various tweaks. Please note some tweaks made sacrifice accuracy for speed.

Results - I'm able to consistently get locks within 5 sec and ~10m with multiple sats. Even indoors, results are similar.
    Many (including non captivate users) have reported much improved results as well.

How to use it:
    • Backup your old gps.conf (located in /system/etc) in case you prefer your old configuration. But you can always flash your rom again to get it back as well
    • Download the gps fix (Updated with 8 NTP servers) -- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17383148/GPS_mod(8NTP).zip to SD Card
    • Reboot into CWM and flash
    • Reboot and enjoy a fast, awesome GPS
    • NOTE - first lock can take much longer that normal. Don't be surprised if it takes over 1 min. Results should improve from there. Should get ~ 10 sec locks, with multiple satellites.

Still not getting the results you want? Try another modem. KG3 is working great for me. This is a great site that has plenty more CM modems you can try out

UPDATE 4/18 : The GPS mod has been edited so that it now has 8 NTP servers. If you feel the old (classic?) configuration was working great for you, it's still up here

Commentary on screenshots: 1 -- Indoors w/ fix and about ~25 sec (cold start). 2 -- outdoors w/ fix and about ~10 sec (cold start). 3 -- outdoors NO fix and about ~15 seconds (cold start). Indoors with no fix could not be completed as I was not able to get a consistent lock with a cold start.

Credits:
    • H3llstorm
    • Xenova

Non-captivate users -- You will have to edit the gps.conf file yourself in order to provide the most accurate results (since I do not know where you live). Xenova's post has some good instructions you can follow.
    also read this post.
    Attention to all non captivate users: Please feel free to copy the OP to your respective development forum so as many people as possible get to know about this. But be sure to give me, and definitely h3llstorm, some credit :)
    The gps on the cappys are horrible if you weren't aware..Sounds to me like yours is one of the better ones ;)

I was under the impression all the newer roms had the best gps fixes but I'm not sure. My gps seems to perform the same no matter what rom I'm using at the moment.

Unfortunately for me over the years on a few different cappys, the best fix I have found is to get it close to the windshield without a case. I just clamp the phone in a dock that allows the phone to be clamped, but away from the dock face. So I end up with a space between the back of the phone and the dock.:silly:

Gps Antenna position in cappy is the chief cause, along with bad gps.conf files in the etc folder. You can't do much about antenna, but a good gps.conf file helps tremendously.

Here are the contents of the CM10.1 gps.conf file and they are inadequate in my experience:

NTP_SERVER=pool.ntp.org

XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com

SUPL_PORT=7276

I replace it with the modified hellstorm fix, which is a better gps.conf file, and I consistently get locks in 15 seconds or less, and don't lose lock, except when driving through a 1.5 mile tunnel.

Here's a link to my gps.conf on Dropbox. Too long to paste as text. http://db.tt/YYwj6iMe

Note: you should change ntp servers if you aren't in USA. More info at ntp.org

Sent from the wholly ROMin' empire. SGH-I897 CM10.1
    my GPS fix is highly recommended too.

REMOVED- didnt work for cm9

it also replaces files in "vendor/etc/" and files in "vendor/bin" file as well.

Any files in the Vendor folder (in stock roms) are carrier tweaks. AKA Vendor tweaks. and will supercede any files in the system/etc or system/bin folders.
    Finally! I spent all day yesterday looking for solutions to gps issues, will try this immediately and post feedback. :)

Update:

Gps test:6 sats in view,5 in use,accuracy 40ft
    Before:1 sat,1 in use,accuracy 200ft

Rom:Team ICSSGS RC4.2
    Modem:UGJL2