TiVo app blocks streaming on rooted phones (formerly TiVo app not working)

Search This thread

GrillMouster

Dec 8, 2010
The old version wouldn't install from the Play Store on my Nexus 6 or Nexus 9, so I sideloaded it. The updated showed up in the Play Store for both devices today, so they're now compatible. Best of all, streaming works on both rooted devices!

tiny1055

Nov 7, 2007
Same here. New version works on my rooted Nexus 6.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

It's also working on my rooted 2012 Nexus 7, but it's not working on my rooted Nexus 9.

Devotech

Jan 6, 2009
TiVo app blocks streaming on rooted phones (

Still getting unauthorized modifications error E=22 V=200 on my Note 2 running CM12...

Last edited:

FoferX

Sep 6, 2013
Yes! The new TiVo app on my rooted Nexus 7 streams just fine. So happy. What a nice surprise. And now I'm saving this APK version for safe keeping, just in case ;)

pizza_pablo

Dec 6, 2013
PNW
The new version of the classic app is now allowing streaming of shows, on my MDK S4, but only on my home wifi, not on 4G or wifi away from home.

What is the point of this?

If I'm at home, I'll just watch the real TV set.

FoferX

Sep 6, 2013
Try running the setup step again. There's a seperate checkbox for out-of-home streaming. Mine works fine, both inside and out of the house (on a different network. It even works over LTE.)

Note that it'll only stream content out of the home that isn't blocked by the CCI (copyright flag) byte. For me on Time Warner this means most recordings from non-local channels won't stream outside the home. That's a copyright issue/rule from CableLabs that apparently TiVo has to abide by. Other cable companies aren't as strict. Apparently Comcast doesn't set the CCI byte on any recordings...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=483704
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/243

Last edited:
Reactions: pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo

Dec 6, 2013
PNW
Try running the setup step again. There's a seperate checkbox for out-of-home streaming. Mine works fine, both inside and out of the house (on a different network. It even works over LTE.)

Note that it'll only stream content out of the home that isn't blocked by the CCI (copyright flag) byte. For me on Time Warner this means most recordings from non-local channels won't stream outside the home. That's a copyright issue/rule from CableLabs that apparently TiVo has to abide by. Other cable companies aren't as strict. Apparently Comcast doesn't set the CCI byte on any recordings...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=483704
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/243

Thanks!
I've tried checking the USE CELLULAR NETWORK box.
I guess I'll have to try many channels, to see if any will stream. I've tried a few and the result has always been "YOUR TIVO DVR IS NOT SET UP TO ALLOW STREAMING".

I'm away from home now and can see MY SHOWS. I tried everything on my recordings and several local and cable channels. No luck.

rey_1178

Oct 30, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Just coming to TiVo and this has been an unwelcomed surprise. I see no one has figured this out either which means not enough folks really care about this specific app. Unbelievable.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Just coming to TiVo and this has been an unwelcomed surprise. I see no one has figured this out either which means not enough folks really care about this specific app. Unbelievable.
Maybe I'm lucky but agree updating to the app with the new TIVO logo, it works on my phone with Root Cloak Plus.
It didn't before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: rey_1178

FoferX

Sep 6, 2013
Huh? Plenty of folks care about this specific app, and plenty complained.

An update many months back allowed this app to stream video again, on my rooted Nexus 7 (and I don't even have Root Cloak Plus installed.) Fingers crossed it stays that way.

rey_1178

Oct 30, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Maybe I'm lucky but agree updating to the app with the new TIVO logo, it works on my phone with Root Cloak Plus.
It didn't before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I'm with the latest version of the app and installed root cloak.I am on CM12.1 and the latest PAC MAN for Note4 sprint.
You think I should try to upgrade root cloak to plus?

FoferX

Sep 6, 2013
I wonder if it (now) works on rooted phones, but not necessarily on all flavors of custom ROMs?

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010

FoferX

Sep 6, 2013
Possibly. I'm running stock ROM with root.

Root Cloak (via Xposed) and Root Cloak Plus (via Cydia Substrate) are completely different animals, so definitely worth a try.

Just curious, but have you tried it without Root Cloak Plus at all installed? Works for me. But I'm still on KitKat...

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Just curious, but have you tried it without Root Cloak Plus at all installed? Works for me. But I'm still on KitKat...
Thanks for asking because it made me look, and while I still have Substrate installed, it's currently not linked/enabled.
Therefore, TiVo app must have relaxed its "modified device" checks! A step in the right direction, hooray!

So @rey_1178 seems maybe it does have to do with ROM - probably does a check for non-OEM identifiers or something.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: I started this thread in March when I couldn't get the TiVo app to work on my Note 3. I haven't had that issue recently, but I received an update to the TiVo app on 9/30/14 introducing more features, including streaming. However, it has been reported that the TiVo app does not allow streaming on rooted devices. I am updating this thread to reflect a new purpose: overcoming the blocking of streaming content on rooted phones.

Previous content below
    ===================
    I just got a Galaxy Note 3, and the official TiVo app for android won't connect anymore. On my previous phone (S3), which still works on WiFi, it says my TiVo box is "Ready" and I can just tap it to connect to my box. Same goes for my wife's Note 2. We both have the Verizon flavor of the phone.

On my new phone, it says "Not complete" and prompts me for my Media Access Key. I have entered it a BUNCH of times, so I'm sure I'm getting it right... but eventually it tells me it could not connect ("Box Not Responding"), and offers to retry. (I've even copied and pasted the MAK from the working unofficial app -- more on that below -- so I'm 100% sure I'm typing it in correctly.)

Since I have edited the DPI on my phone, I have tried both the tablet and regular versions of the app, with similar negative results... though both of the apps stop me when I open them to say that the app was designed for a device with different resolutions. (Could this be a problem with connecting?) After I tap "continue anyway" the app opens as normal.

For the record, I also have DVR Commander (unofficial TiVo app) installed, and when I enter the Media Access Key, I'm able to sign into my TiVo, and use that app to the fullest extent. In other words, the unofficial app works, but the official app does not. I don't get it.

Do any Note 3 users out there have a TiVo, and similar issues? I have a Premiere XL, if that matters.
    Thread Title Updated

I updated the thread title to reflect a new purpose.
    That streaming doesn't work in rooted Android devices is aggravating. Would anyone be interested in contributing to a bounty to award to the coder(s) that crack this? There are two things that would be awesome:

1) A root cloak so that rooted Android devices could stream video from the TiVo app
    2) A patch to trick the TiVo app into thinking the device is on WiFi at home and not cellular, so that recordings that are "copy once" (i.e.: content with the CCI byte set) will actually stream when you're away from home

So, who's in? If there's enough interest I'll look into creating a bounty collection page.
    Tivo checks for root, if phone is rooted it will not stream..im looking for a work around.
    UPDATE: I found the apk and it works.

Reviving this thread as I have come upon this issue now in late 2016. I'm running the Tivo app version 3.2 released Apr 5, 2016 on my Verizon HTC One m8. Whenever I try to out-of-home stream non-copy protected shows from my Verizon FIOS Roamio Pro, I get the error about my device being modified and it won't stream. Is there any known workaround for this version of the app? If not, could someone post an apk of a version that works? Thanks in advance.

This seems contradictory...
    You stare that you found an apk that works and follow up with that it won't stream.

The follow up was finding the apk. The streaming issue was the first post.