[Q] Cyanogenmod installer - does it root etc?

Search This thread

Jens Christensen

Feb 7, 2011
This is probably a newbie question, but even though the HTC One is soooo nice there are some things I find difficult. I used to have a Samsung Galaxy S III Intl. which is incredibly easy to root etc. Now I really love my HTC One but the whole bootloader/S-off/root process looks very complicated. However, it seems the Cyanogenmod Installer can install Cyanogenmod without all those things. Does that mean I can just install Cyanogenmod with the installer and that takes care of all those things? And then maybe afterwards I can convert to a full Google Play Edition.

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
This is probably a newbie question, but even though the HTC One is soooo nice there are some things I find difficult. I used to have a Samsung Galaxy S III Intl. which is incredibly easy to root etc. Now I really love my HTC One but the whole bootloader/S-off/root process looks very complicated. However, it seems the Cyanogenmod Installer can install Cyanogenmod without all those things. Does that mean I can just install Cyanogenmod with the installer and that takes care of all those things? And then maybe afterwards I can convert to a full Google Play Edition.

If you are planning to convert your phone to GPE without learning the basics of HTC phone, you'll probably get stuck somewhere in the process and it will be much more complicated from there to understand what is happening and to recover from this situation.

So if you are installing CM via the installer only to save time converting to GPE, this is worthless imo.

Converting to GPE will require S-OFF and probably to change MID and CID.

1. unlock bootloader
  2. flash twrp custom recovery
  3. root
  4. s-off
  5. change cid/mid if required
  6. flash GPE

Jens Christensen

Feb 7, 2011
If you are planning to convert your phone to GPE without learning the basics of HTC phone, you'll probably get stuck somewhere in the process and it will be much more complicated from there to understand what is happening and to recover from this situation.

So if you are installing CM via the installer only to save time converting to GPE, this is worthless imo.

Converting to GPE will require S-OFF and probably to change MID and CID.

1. unlock bootloader
  2. flash twrp custom recovery
  3. root
  4. s-off
  5. change cid/mid if required
  6. flash GPE

Thanks for your reply. Found this article so now I've unlocked the bootloader, flashed twrp and rooted. Now I'll try to obtain S-off...

Jens Christensen

Feb 7, 2011
Couldn't get S-off to work :( So now I'm on the GPE 4.3 ROM. It's downloaded the 4.4 update but it won't install. I'm not sure where to go from here - but go I must because stock 4.3 is kinda ugly :)