Throttled...solved!!!!

Search This thread

opencipher

Feb 3, 2008
Wow...just got hit with the Throttle. I've only used 6 gigs (had iphone before) this billing cycle and my brand new LTE Skyrocket (which was getting around 58mbps in Tyson's Corner) is now getting about 100kbps. This is some straight BS. My contract is only a week old, so thinking of returning this phone and switching. Whats the point of having unlimited if you can't use it.

Edit:

This is what has been working for me to "bypass" the throttle. It at least gets me HSPA+ speeds.

I'm using the Rocketeer ROM and I changed the APN and also forced the Network Mode to GSM/HSPA (Auto Mode)

a69377c9-ff26-ef45.jpg

a69377c9-ff35-aea3.jpg

The APN settings are:

Name: HSPA+ ATT
APN: Phone
APN Type: Internet

All other settings are default. I also am NOT on 2.3.6 and noticed when I updated the APN didn't work anymore, so I went back.

I also have the WAP Cingular built and have working MMS.

Name: ATT WAP
APN: wap.cingular
proxy: wireless.cingular.com
mms proxy: wireless.cingular.com
mms port: 80
mcc: 310
mnc: 410
apn type: mms

Last edited:

dabeej

Nov 16, 2010
Wow...just got hit with the Throttle. I've only used 6 gigs (had iphone before) this billing cycle and my brand new LTE Skyrocket (which was getting around 58mbps in Tyson's Corner) is now getting about 100kbps. This is some straight BS. My contract is only a week old, so thinking of returning this phone and switching. Whats the point of having unlimited if you can't use it.
Did you use a different ROM?

opencipher

Feb 3, 2008
Nope. Standard. Been streaming a lot of netflix..slingbox..etc. They sent me a text warning yesterday to watch my usage or I could have reduced speeds and then throttled me the next day. Didn't even give me a chance to change.

rlzu

Nov 11, 2011
I know exactly what you mean about the throttling. I'm actually here in DC as well (Arlington) and use the Skyrocket and it ate up 500 MB!

Tried loading of all sitesTwitter and got a message. "Rate limit exceeded."

I'm on a 4 GB plan so watching the data usage really closely.

Have you tried switching to one of the lower grade signals? I've been having trouble doing that since it looks like the LTE radio is locked tight and can't be changed at all.

jbsg02

Dec 10, 2010
Ugh that sucks man, they should really relax those rules for us LTE users. Why give customers all that bandwidth only to keep the same rules as their slow 3G network? Doesn't make much sense to me

tpham08901

Mar 24, 2011
Jersey City
Throttling was put in effect to limit us who are grandfathered into the unlimited plans. The only way to stop it is to switch to one of the tiered plans...which no one should do obviously.

jbsg02

Dec 10, 2010
I think that 2GB limit is absurb for LTE users. You really could blow through that in a matter of days with regular use (or minutes if you really wanted to)

opencipher

Feb 3, 2008
I'm gonna call in and complain, though I'm not sure it will do much. I mean 6 gigs isn't anything. I've got 10 days left in this cycle so more than likely I will only use 3-4 more gigs. Plus I'm still within i'm time to cancel my contract. We'll see how this goes. One of my biggest gripes is that they gave me ONE DAY WARNING!!! I mean, ok I get it, but send me a text and then throttle me the next day.

F2a

Nov 4, 2008
Wow, this is depressing. I don't want to switch from AT&T for the sole reason that I have unlimited data. I'm going to see what happens in the near future and maybe just say **** it and switch. No point in staying for unlimited if it isn't unlimited.

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
Wow, this is depressing. I don't want to switch from AT&T for the sole reason that I have unlimited data. I'm going to see what happens in the near future and maybe just say **** it and switch. No point in staying for unlimited if it isn't unlimited.

Tmobile is "unlimited" but you still get throttled as well

so there's no point switching

no carriers will offer true unlimited now in days

propsizzle

Oct 10, 2011
Dallas, TX
if there is any benefit, throttling is better than reverting you to a tiered plan...

either way, it sucks. it is disappointing that wireless networks are getting so advanced that their speeds rival home connections... and yet, carriers hamstring us so we can barely take advantage of these speeds.

opencipher

Feb 3, 2008
Ok..here is where it get even more F'd up. I called in..*****ed and complained and they basically told me too bad. The first too people I talked to couldn't confirm I was actually being throttled. The last person they spoke to (told me they deal specifically with this situation) told me that yes I have been throttled and I could either choose a tiered plan and pay extra per gig or use wifi. I told them I was going to go to Verizon because they are doing 10gigs per month for 5..and they said, "I understand your frustation and am sorry" but wouldn't do anything to remove the throttle.

Mind you I average about 10 gigs a month when I was on my iphone 4...and NEVER received a text. Within 5 days of me getting the SKYROCKET and going on an LTE network I get these texts and am now throttled..but here is where it gets interesting.........

For the past few days I was having trouble accessing certain sites, the phone would often just clock. I would disable and reenable the data radio and I could some how get on them. I read on here about changing your APN to force HSPA and this would fix it...it did. But I wanted LTE and I left it alone. Today I get the whole tethering fiasco and speed test are showing 120k..all day on LTE...

Earlier today a friend of mine was having the same slow loading sites issues on their SII and I walked them through setting up the APN and while walking them through I put mine back on HSPA. About an hour ago, i'm in DC and do a speed test for the heck of it and BAM....7mbps. I'm like WTF!!! I notice that i'm not on LTE and remember that I left it on HSPA. I switch back to ATT APN and the LTE symbol comes back and BAM 120k. So either LTE in DC is jacked or they are only throttling me on LTE. Some straight shady stuff by ATT.

Kadin

Sep 23, 2007
California
And people were questioning me on why I thought this phone would be more desirable for people that have Unlimited Data. Throttled or not, at least you can still go above and beyond 2GB and not spend a ton of cash. I only use about 250MB as it is and I'll never give up my unlimited - but something tells me AT&T has a plan to down the road.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Edit:

This is what has been working for me to "bypass" the throttle. It at least gets me HSPA+ speeds.

I'm using the Rocketeer ROM and I changed the APN and also forced the Network Mode to GSM/HSPA (Auto Mode)

a69377c9-ff26-ef45.jpg

a69377c9-ff35-aea3.jpg

The APN settings are:

Name: HSPA+ ATT
    APN: Phone
    APN Type: Internet

All other settings are default. I also am NOT on 2.3.6 and noticed when I updated the APN didn't work anymore, so I went back.

I also have the WAP Cingular built and have working MMS.

Name: ATT WAP
    APN: wap.cingular
    proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    mms proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    mms port: 80
    mcc: 310
    mnc: 410
    apn type: mms
    Ugh that sucks man, they should really relax those rules for us LTE users. Why give customers all that bandwidth only to keep the same rules as their slow 3G network? Doesn't make much sense to me

tumblr_kxzvfhlbin1qa9armo1_500.jpg

Overage fees are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

U.S.A.%20-%20Sprint.gif
    ;)
    I'm not using 20 gigs a month. I did 18GB once out of anger like everyone else did by trying to push up the 5%, but my normal usage is around 4-6GB. That's cutting it real close. I don't want to be near the end of a billing cycle and then worry about usage and not watch that one hockey game or not watch a couple youtube cliips or stream some songs because I might be worried of getting to the limit. You guys sound like ATT reps, being all excited by this 5GB like all of a sudden ATT is our friend. I'm shocked it was that easy to get people from being pissed off to being very content with the same company. There should be more mad people. Sure, I'll admit I'm glad it's a small baby step in the right direction, but there's a long way to go to make long time loyal customers happy.

Does anyone know what exactly happens once the LTE user hits 5GB? Is it back to EDGE for the remainder of the cycle, or is there slightly higher throttle speeds as some people have claimed?
    WOW that's cool. I might just try that. Can you tell us more about that conversation and what they told you they were going to do with your account.

I asked to speak to a manager after I was getting nowhere with the cr that answer first, I asked if they could please review my past data usage, and the manager agreed, after about a 45 minute wait, he came back and said that he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary and he was gonna make a note to my account advising throttle on or after 25GB to 35GB, I told him that I thanked him for taking the time to actually look at my account, I reminded him that I had been with AT&T since 1997(when they were at&t wireless) and that I was a happy costumer, 'till that ridiculous speed limit..
    So long story short, going on 26GB and still no throttle;)
    They still have unlim data. Everyone keeps crying cuz speeds are low. Att is giving other options. You dont want other options then too bad for you. Suffer! They decide the top 5 by market thats y someone in cali might get throttled at 10gigs but someone in penn might be throttled at 3. The numbers dont mean ****. Att never changed contract. You guys are just finding new ways to complain. If speed means so much to you then change your damn apn and stop crying

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

Could you please just shut the F up. We got your point already. I'm trying to weed through these threads for a solution and all I'm reading is your numerous HIGHLY SIMILAR answers.
    Thank you points if people stop repeating themselves.