Difference between unlocking bootloader and rooting

Search This thread

ronriza91

Aug 6, 2010
Does unlocking the bootloader give you root?
And in which instances can you flash a custom recovery or customs ROMs?

cwaffles

Dec 17, 2010
Rooting means you can install apps that require root access (like titanium backup or setcpu). Unlocked bootloader means you can load any rom, kernel, etc that you like. Unlocked bootloader is usually acquired after rooting.

Last edited:

PieceKeepr

Jun 13, 2010
Florida
OnePlus 8 Pro
I'm not sure I totally understand the first reply, so here is my take on it.

Rooting will let you install apps that require root as already stated, but rooting will let you install custom ROMs and do just about any tweak you want. I finally did unlock my bootloader, but the only benefit I gained was being able to change the flash screen, which is the first screen you see when the phone powers on.

I have read that it's harder to brick your phone with a s=off bootloader too.

lowandbehold

Feb 26, 2011
Vandling, PA
It is not harder to brick your phone with an unlocked bootloader, just easier to recover from a soft-brick. An unlocked bootloader will allow you to flash using fastboot. So in the case of a corrupt recovery, or something along those lines, you are able to flash it using your computer. It basically allows you to flash different parts of an image separately.

vaissiere85

Apr 27, 2012
slight confusion over rooted

i had the .67 generic uk firmware, i downloaded the central europe .73 firmware and used flashtool to flash the ftf file,
all worked fine once i installed the drivers on flash tool,
my confusion is...... alot of people are saying there phone is rooted/bootloader unlocked, am i rite in thinking my phone is rooted and not unlocked,
others have also said they have flashed the .img to the phone which i havent done, is there something ive done wrong ?

Last edited: