New Google Search 14/11/13 + Google Experience Launcher

Search This thread

Timboe73

Nov 2, 2011
Gold Coast

Somairotevoli

May 31, 2011
And it messes with the app drawer bringing it to 4 icons across instead of 5. Arggg. Back to apex

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
So much for all the whinging about KK fragmentation?!

GEL is still exclusive to Nexus 5 and looks like crap on most other phones and tablets (4 icon rows). Everyone else they got a big Google Now update w/ an option to install an APK copied from another phone.

rikta

Jul 28, 2009
Melbourne
I had GEL accidentally running on 4.3. I flashed an AOSP KitKat ROM and that had it, then reverted to 4.3 and it stayed... Until I wiped cache

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

rajat_red

Jun 8, 2013
Mumbai
I guess, so far, I'm the only one here liking (or at least, not minding) the new 4 by 5 layout. It seems a little inconsistent at times because some app icons seem a little low-res, but I'm sure app devs will fix that sooner rather than later. Also, the one tiny annoyance I have with the new launcher, is the missing app drawer Play Store icon on the top right. I really got used to that. Oh well, something's gotta give. :)

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Ok, found one glitch. I'm unable to activate Google Now from the lockscreen with a swipe up. Google Now does open in the background, but I have to manually unlock the phone for it to show.

Last edited:

Paradoxx123

Dec 30, 2012
I actually like the 4 columns of the app drawer vs 5 that was on the previous version much less cluttered

mananbond007

Aug 22, 2013
Mumbai
Anyone get the Google Search update...??? Can anyone confirm the build version...??? I am still on 2.8 with no updates for Search...

~4.4 + Search update wait frustrations

Reactions: forever_lol

sadsac

Anyone get the Google Search update...??? Can anyone confirm the build version...??? I am still on 2.8 with no updates for Search...

just download off the androidpolice link and sideload?!

i dont mind the 4 column width either

i miss swipe up for app drawer and swipe down for notification bar from nova launcher though

Reactions: mananbond007

AlderCass

Jan 27, 2013
Cork
www.aldercass.com
Ok, found one glitch. I'm unable to activate Google Now from the lockscreen with a swipe up. Google Now does open in the background, but I have to manually unlock the phone for it to show.

I think that's normal behavior - otherwise someone could open Google Now > Search Google > Open a result in Chrome > Use Chrome to browse to a malicious site, all without having to know your unlock pattern.

Unless you're on the normal unsecure swipe ring unlock in which case yeah I'd consider that a glitch :good:

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

Loving this launcher now! The only thing that bothered me about the old N5 ported version was the 5 column app drawer - looked so squashed and awkward, now it's perfect :D I only wish the scrolling were faster, I'm so used to Nova's "faster than light" setting, but I'll get used to it. And I think the fact that they've made the grid responsive to different screen sizes would imply that they will be bringing it to the play store eventually.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

Has anyone tried OK Google? I'm in work right now so I can't test it without looking like I've lost my marbles, everyone else here has an iPhone so they wouldn't know whats I'm trying to do :laugh:

masterofmayhem

Aug 25, 2009
Does anyone know if the new Google search/Google now allows you to "send hangout" rather than just "send message". Since hangouts is now the default messenger in KitKat, it would only make sense... But I already have a feeling I know the answer before asking

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

ieatacid

Apr 1, 2010
Scranton, PA
Ok google from the home screen works fine for me, assume the voice search language still needs to be English US

I can't get "ok google" to initiate anything. Language is set to US English, voice search works fine if I click the microphone icon then speak, it just won't do anything if I say "ok google".

The option for hot word detection is enabled in the settings as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Big news from AP:

Massive Google Search 3.1.8 Update Rolling Out, Brings Google Experience Launcher To All 4.1+ Devices, New Cards, Completely Fixes GEL On Tablets, And More [APK Download]

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...y-fixes-gel-on-tablets-and-more-apk-download/

So much for all the whinging about KK fragmentation?!

just download off the androidpolice link and sideload?!

i dont mind the 4 column width either

i miss swipe up for app drawer and swipe down for notification bar from nova launcher though
    Ok google from the home screen works fine for me, assume the voice search language still needs to be English US

how can you'll get 4 icons in the app drawer??
    i reduced the dpi to 265 and i get 6 icons in row with google launcher
    looks really nice :)