[Q] Nexus 7 (2013) Random Reboot Issues

Search This thread

aaroniofjm

Aug 25, 2013
Do any of you guys also have this issue with your Nexus 7?

It just randomly reboots when I uninstall an App!

Solutions? Something!? HELP!:cyclops:

stevemw

Apr 1, 2007
Bailey's Crossroads
Do any of you guys also have this issue with your Nexus 7?

It just randomly reboots when I uninstall an App!

Solutions? Something!? HELP!:cyclops:

I'm having reboots while using Chrome. For example, if you go to the Play store and attempt to manipulate that navigation box in the upper right corner Chrome either crashes or causes the Nexus 7 to reboot.

jfavellanedab

Mar 19, 2012
It is a nexus 7 wifi or lte? I have not had this issue with LTE

Sent from my XT925 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

shams6

Jan 3, 2013
DHAKA
mine wifi, how to solve this issue?
today i buy this tablet today. so much restart though i updated all apps and OS after starting but still so much restart problem.

THS1989

Dec 10, 2011
Happening to mine too... Never rooted. 4.4 kitkat did NOT fix it ....

ASUS you suck. Google please use Samsung for your devices k thx..

herosemblem

Nov 23, 2013
I still have random reboots on my unmodified Nexus 7 2013. I've been running KitKat since it was OTA'd to the device a few weeks ago.
It is excellent when I'm in the middle of something and the screen freezes for about 4 seconds, then the device reboots.

EDIT: Hilarious. It randomly rebooted on its own just now. The device had been sitting unused for a number of minutes. Usually doesn't happen more than once/day. It just happened twice in 45 minutes. Usually it happens about once a week...

magusonline

Feb 4, 2014
Anyone have any update/luck with solving it? I'm making a nandroid backup just in case the worst case is I need to have it sent back to the store for a replacement..

thisguysayswht

Jun 16, 2013
I posted this in another thread, with someone asking if a custom kernel will fix the reboot problem plaguing this otherwise superb device. It seems to hold its relevance here.

So, here's my experience with this. I bought my first nexus 7.2, at a best buy in north Dallas, in October. I experienced random reboots, right out of the box, about once a day, usually when I was browsing chrome, or when the tablet was sitting on the home screen without being touched. My gf bought a nexus 7.2 as well, at the same store in November, and she was not experiencing any random reboots, hers has always been stock, to this day (my suspicions began). I figured it was a software, or app problem, and waited for a fix from Google, or my app developers. Tried various custom Roms in the meantime (cm11, dirty unicorns, silmrom, and many more). I also tried various kernel's, in combination with said Roms (Franco, ElementalX, glitch, bulletproof). I had random reboots with all combinations of Roms and kernels. Did a factory data reset after every update from Google, and tried it for a week or so every time. Still experienced random reboots. I finally got fed up and took my table back in early January, to the same best buy in north Dallas. After receiving my second tablet, I kept it stock for a week, and then restored my preferred twrp backup, that I had taken with the rebooting tablet ( stock 4.4 krt16s, xposed framework, ElementalX 2.2 @1.7 and 450, with the motoX dalvik and bionic patches). With the new tablet, I have not experienced one random reboot, either with the stock software, or the custom software.

So, long story short, if your experiencing random reboots, if you have the ability to, I would take it back. Maybe you can fix it with software enhancements, but IMO it just shouldn't do this, stock or otherwise, and warrants a return.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope it works out for you, the reboots were personally driving me crazy, and I'm glad my second tablet doesn't reboot like its got a mind of its own.

With my personal experience, it definitely seems to be a hardware problem.

Last edited:

herosemblem

Nov 23, 2013
Thanks for reminding us. Seems to be a hardware problem. Mine still random reboots intermittently. Usually when it does, it will happen maybe 2-3x/day, then go a few days without happening at all. As is the case with me, it happens most often while sitting at the home screen, not in use. I've always been stock.

Jihad Shanaa

Nov 12, 2012
Thanks for reminding us. Seems to be a hardware problem. Mine still random reboots intermittently. Usually when it does, it will happen maybe 2-3x/day, then go a few days without happening at all. As is the case with me, it happens most often while sitting at the home screen, not in use. I've always been stock.

Same thing with me ... hate this problem, it make it unreliable especially for work and collecting data ...

BullSpit

Apr 17, 2006
Mine has been doing it lately also. I noticed it happen the first time about 2 weeks ago. It has done it on 2 different ROMS.

imablackhat

Sep 15, 2005
www.zevink.com
mine does it as well - as well as two other friends of mine who have the same exact models, all purchased at different times. it must be a device issue. there is no point in returning your device if its randomly restarting because youll just get another one that does the same exact thing.

however the longest uptime ive gotten so far was 200 hours with franco kernel r12 and then opened chrome and got a reboot.

also the same thing happened on my nexus 5 in the same day, maybe it was just an incident with google chrome. both devices rebooted.

but im having better luck without random reboots using a custom kernel (franco r12).

srivas95

Jan 16, 2012
Calicut
I turn off my device every night, so I do not have any random reboot issues. I think a simple restart every 2-3 days will fix this issue

MikeG2016

May 3, 2016
Nexus7 2013 Random Freeze ànd Reboot

Old thread still relevant. My Nexus 7 (2013) 6.0.1 randomly freezes and self reboots. Problem doesn't occur in Safe Mode. I don't know how to determine whether or which app(s) are causing the problem. I don't want to Reset until I've tried other ways to troubleshoot cause. Help welcome.