Absolutely disappointed with the camera

Search This thread

Hobson318

Mar 12, 2013
Upstate NY
By "one with the hole" - are you referring to the small piece that's the size of the lens and has a hole in it? And then you're saying there's another underneath that that's also the same size, but with no hole?

Yes. Beefjerky9 in post 46 confirms second piece of plastic. The solid one (no hole) is put on to protect the lens between manufacture and installation. Was like that on my s3 and other phones too.

jntdroid

Feb 16, 2011
DFW, TX
Yes. Beefjerky9 in post 46 confirms second piece of plastic. The solid one (no hole) is put on to protect the lens between manufacture and installation. Was like that on my s3 and other phones too.

Man I don't know. I pulled off the one with the hole in it day 1, and that's it so far. If there's something on my lens now, I don't think it's meant to come off... or at least I'd be scared to try any harder.

Hobson318

Mar 12, 2013
Upstate NY
Man I don't know. I pulled off the one with the hole in it day 1, and that's it so far. If there's something on my lens now, I don't think it's meant to come off... or at least I'd be scared to try any harder.

you could have just gotten a crappy sensor too. it happens when you try to mass produce in a hurry to make deadlines.

bsweetness

Mar 27, 2009
i think one thing you are missing is that there 2 pieces of plastic. one with the hole and right under it, one that covers the whole lens. so if you remove one thinking you are good, you might not ever look for the other. one is put on during manufacture of the camera module and the other is during build of the phone. some might not see the one with the hole in it because it came off during unboxing and removal of other plastic and general getting in to install the battery and such.

I'm not missing anything. I'm not sure how to make myself any more clear than I already have. On my phone, there was only one piece of plastic cover the camera module (and I'm not talking about the piece of plastic that covered the entire back of the phone - no one here is - just the small square on the camera itself), and that small piece of plastic on the camera had a tiny hole in the middle the size of the sensor. There was and is absolutely no more plastic underneath this on my device.

So, on the back of my phone, I had:

- 1 big piece of plastic covering the backside of the phone.
- 1 small piece of plastic covering only the camera that had a small hole in the middle of it the size of the sensor.

There was nothing else under that small piece of plastic.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

No he didn't. Read his post, my post that he quoted, and my response.

There's only one piece of plastic directly on the lens. Some people are reporting that it has a tiny hole in the middle, others are saying it's solid. Again, we're not talking about the piece of plastic that covers most of the back of the phone, just the small square piece of plastic on the camera module. There's only one of those, not two.

Last edited:

das7982

Feb 28, 2012
Broken Arrow
Camera is perfect here

Attachments

• 1397685379353.jpg
    1397685379353.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 145

das7982

Feb 28, 2012
Broken Arrow
Just went out and snapped 2 pictures. Camera couldn't be more perfect! !! I would return your GS5 or get into better lighting

Attachments

• 1397685593127.jpg
    1397685593127.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 1397685616831.jpg
    1397685616831.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 127

jagrave

Jan 31, 2011
Could someone please, please go here(https://www.flickr.com/photos/123410766@N06/with/13883152465) and check out my photos. They're all from my S5. Almost all of them don't look good when viewed on my computer. They look decent on my phone screen until I zoom in at all. Either I'm being to critical, the camera stinks, or I have a bad camera. So could I get some feed back on if I need to exchange it or not? Thanks everyone!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

das7982

Feb 28, 2012
Broken Arrow
is anyone else? i came from a G2 hoping for a much better camera, as I preferred the GS4 camera to my G2...yeah, well I get my GS5, and i'm sitting here looking at the pics i've taken, and good god they're awful. they just look horrible compared to what the G2 shoots.
and low light? FORGET IT. if you can even get it to focus without the flash on (which it won't, at all, after numerous attempts of me trying with even lights on behind me) it's going to look like garbage anyway.

now i'm sitting here wondering if I should return it or not. I spent full price on the damn thing (after selling a GS4 and a Gnex) and i'm really wondering if it's even worth it to keep because i was honestly expecting a good camera, especially from all of the raving about it i've seen.

Remember. ... This-is-a-phone. Allow this to sink in for a minute...... okay ready? This-is-a-phone .... if you need a camera.... Go-buy-a-..... you guessed it....-camera.

Follow Me @Bash_array

jagrave

Jan 31, 2011
Remember. ... This-is-a-phone. Allow this to sink in for a minute...... okay ready? This-is-a-phone .... if you need a camera.... Go-buy-a-..... you guessed it....-camera.

Follow Me @Bash_array

I think one of the problems is how much this camera was hyped up to be. And then it doesn't meet up in some areas, or at least mine doesn't. Don't get me wrong, it's way better than my rezound, but the way it was talked about I was thinking it would be much much better than the results I'm personally getting.

And the whole, want a camera get a camera argument is getting old. Everyone knows and gets this. Old news. But when I ALWAYS have my PHONE with me, and I hardly ever have a dedicated CAMERA with me, well it's nice to have a great one in my phone. I have a 2 year old son, and you can't always know ahead of time when he's going to be doing something that you want to take a picture of. And personally, if I can get away with carrying just one thing instead of two that's great.

Everyone has their own opinion on cell phone cameras. Some think they need to be great, others think you shouldn't worry about it and carry an actual camera. No one needs to bash others for what they think. Like the guy you quoted, obviously, I agree that a good camera on my phone is high on my list of what I want. It may not be on yours. Like cars, some prefer fast cars and the hell with fuel economy, others prefer fuel economy and careless about speed, while others want as much of both as you can get. I want both if I can get it. ?

And I apologize if I was mean or offensive at the beginning. It's just I've seen so many people on so many threads get bashed because "I don't like the camera, it's not up to my expectations". Like lag vs no lag between phones. Some don't care while others dont notice it, and others can't stand it. ☺

Ps.... If that pic you posted is your back porch, I'm jealous. I love those benches like that. And how are you getting such great results? I'm really hit and miss with mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: jntdroid

jntdroid

Feb 16, 2011
DFW, TX
I'd like to recant any prior negative comments I made about this camera. There's a factor I think a nitpicky phone-camera snob like myself tends to forget - the "what you're used to" factor. Whether it's a positive or a negative prior experience, on one phone or 20 phones, when you use the camera on a new phone, you're dealing with new software and new idiosyncrasies, and new ways of dealing with those idiosyncrasies that you're brain/hands aren't used to. I should've held off any judgment until I got used to using this camera, especially compared to the M8 which is such a different usability experience. This is one of the best cameras on the market, I'm convinced now. Is it the end-all-be-all? No... but there's not really one that is... They all make sacrifices in certain areas. We just have to figure out which one sacrifices in areas that aren't as important to our priorities in a mobile device, which will obviously differ per person.

das7982

Feb 28, 2012
Broken Arrow
I think one of the problems is how much this camera was hyped up to be. And then it doesn't meet up in some areas, or at least mine doesn't. Don't get me wrong, it's way better than my rezound, but the way it was talked about I was thinking it would be much much better than the results I'm personally getting.

And the whole, want a camera get a camera argument is getting old. Everyone knows and gets this. Old news. But when I ALWAYS have my PHONE with me, and I hardly ever have a dedicated CAMERA with me, well it's nice to have a great one in my phone. I have a 2 year old son, and you can't always know ahead of time when he's going to be doing something that you want to take a picture of. And personally, if I can get away with carrying just one thing instead of two that's great.

Everyone has their own opinion on cell phone cameras. Some think they need to be great, others think you shouldn't worry about it and carry an actual camera. No one needs to bash others for what they think. Like the guy you quoted, obviously, I agree that a good camera on my phone is high on my list of what I want. It may not be on yours. Like cars, some prefer fast cars and the hell with fuel economy, others prefer fuel economy and careless about speed, while others want as much of both as you can get. I want both if I can get it. ?

And I apologize if I was mean or offensive at the beginning. It's just I've seen so many people on so many threads get bashed because "I don't like the camera, it's not up to my expectations". Like lag vs no lag between phones. Some don't care while others dont notice it, and others can't stand it. ☺

Ps.... If that pic you posted is your back porch, I'm jealous. I love those benches like that. And how are you getting such great results? I'm really hit and miss with mine.

Thanks. Wasn't trying to be too sarcastic. Sorry about that. And yes those benches are nice. I just this house last month so I'm enjoying it. The pictures of my flowers out front and my deck in the back were taken with optimal lighting. I noticed your pics were taken on an overcast day. Experiment with different lighting scenarios and if picture quality remains poor exchange your phone

Follow Me @Bash_array

initial_k

Feb 25, 2011
For all the people complaining about the picturee quality being bad...I don't see too many exaple of said "bad" pictures. I would like to see more bad pictures taken by the S5.

BTW, the cover on my S5 camera lens has a hole cut out in the middle. No affect on picture quality.

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
I doubt you're missing anything. I've gone through every setting and tried a host of things to get better pictures out of it to no avail. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday taking the exact same shots with the S5, Note 3, and iPhone 5S. Outdoors during the day, the S5 reigned supreme, with both the Note 3 and 5S close behind. Outdoors at night, the 5S was the clear winner with the S5 and the Note 3 providing similar results (with the S5 coming out slightly ahead between the two). Indoors, the 5S came out on top again in every lighting situation, both without a flash and with a flash. The S5 was slightly better than the Note 3 indoors, but really not by much.

Given that the overall image quality between the S5 and the Note 3 isn't a huge difference, I'm leaning towards returning the S5 and just keeping the Note 3 for now.

Agreed. The 5S that I use for work is just solid all around when it comes to the camera, providing really great shots in almost all lighting conditions. The only phone I've used that's better is the Lumia 1040, but it doesn't have the speed that the 5S does. Apple really nailed the camera for the 5S.

The S5 has officially been approved as a device we can use for work, so I was hoping to replace both my Note 3 and my 5S with it and only have to carry one device for personal and business use. But so far, the camera on the S5 makes that impossible. :(

Yeah. I've been out of the country for work for an extended period, often in places with little to no internet service. I'm back in the States for a little bit, so I'll be popping up a little more often. :)

Ya that sucks I love my note 3

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda app-developers app

evilbeef54

Jul 14, 2008
guys.... there can be different ammounts of protective plastic on these things, stop arguing about that, these are not USA made phones which means that QC is not all there, lol, i bought 2 today and one last week, each had different plastic in different areas, very normal for asain electronics

but more importantly

still pics are great i dont think most would argue that

to improve your moving pics/lowlight pics turn off "picture stabiliztion" under settings in camera, this will help it shoot faster to get beter shots of moving targets

vanlew

Jun 2, 2013
Just Clarification

Just to clarify, here's the kind with the hole in it, Having worked in manufacturing of other products I'm sure there are the other kind also that's just what happens sometimes, revisions, changes, different suppliers are part of the game.
And to the M8 S5 discussion, I was torn myself. I really like the easy syncing with outlook that HTC has. Other pluses and minuses with each phone, probably my decision was made largely because of the replaceable battery on the S5.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Galaxy S5 arrives tmw night says UPS

Maybe OP for got to remove the plastic from the lens?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have read a lot of the reviews by the different magazine reviewers. Nearly all of them were satisfied with the camera. I was looking at the HTC M8 as an option to buy. But, I have been using my Samsung Verizon Galaxy S Fascinate since it was released 3 years ago. Mostly satisfied, but irked by the limited amount of memory it has 385 mB. Try to do more than one thing at a time and it would lock up. Pull the battery and restart.

I wanted the Note 3 because of the Stylus pen and free hand writing in the notepad. But, the G5 is said to have the better camera, and that did it for me. The Fascinate's camera does a pretty damn good all around job, but not so hot indoors. Low light is nearly all black. The flash is not worth while for me, it causes the photos to wash out.

Thanks for the hints on making sure the plastic is removed from the camera lens. Will make triple sure that is removed. How did you guys get one of these things so quick? I preordered mine and it was delivered to UPS on Friday...

I live in a very rural area in northern Oklahoma. The local Best Buy is a couple hours drive away... not going to happen.

Glad to be part of this forum, anxious to see more comments and tips on how to get the best from the GS5.

I'm a moderator on a Goldwing forum and appreciate the effort it takes to manage these forums.

~John
    yep, first thing i did. if ya notice, the plastic doesn't cover the sensor itself..only the outer portion.

oh well, i gave up on the S5. on top of build quality issues (the creaking/shifting body that Samsung is known for..) and that crappy camera, I just went and returned it tonight. had to pay a $35 restocking fee, but whatever. got my $600 back.

wish you guys the best!

You got a dud. That's too bad. it happens. My pictures are nothing like yours.

Untitled by Mechatricity, on Flickr

I'll second this. Not near as bad as Jayochs, but not any better than the S4, and worse, IMHO, in bright outdoor shots where the S4 was incredible. Medium to low-light is improved only because you can see the images more - but if you don't use stabilization mode, they're horribly noisy. If you do use stabilization mode, they look better, but then a LOT of your indoor shots, even if they're not low light, will end up asking you to hold still for 3-4 seconds.

And I don't know about y'all, but my camera is relatively slow to load. Keeping in mind I'm comparing to a 5S and M8. So far the laggier camera experience and not-as-great-as-they-said-it-would-be images have me liking the M8's camera more... it's just so darn fast, and consistent and focusable and can take medium-lit shots quickly.

Edit: full disclaimer... I'm a nitpicky phone camera snob! :)
    Maybe stating the obvious, but did you remove the plastic film over the lens?

Follow Me @Bash_array