Moisture Under Glass

Search This thread

blickley

Jul 27, 2011
I've seen some threads about this on other tabs, like the Galaxy Tab 10.1, but not on the Asus tablets yet. On my TF701T, I noticed over the past month that when I take it out of the case I have for it (a neoprene case with a zipper), it has a spot in the middle about the size of two quarters that looks like moisture under the glass.

Within a few seconds of turning it on (and sometimes not even turning it on), it disappears by quickly getting smaller and smaller into the center.

All of this, not a big deal.

However, last night I saw something even more odd....the spot disappeared with the exception of a ring of moisture (instead of a full circle) that stayed and wouldn't go away (again, slightly larger than a quarter). Touching parts of the screen would jiggle the ring. It seems like something was happening in the LCD display.

In the past when it went away, I assumed the screen was warming up and causing it to go away. However since it didn't this time, I thought something was damaged.

I saw a bizarre thread somewhere that suggested to put it in the fridge or freezer for a short time and the cooling would make it go away....if I remember correctly, it may have implied that the LCD and digitizer where touching or stuck together. I figured, what the heck, I stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes. When I got it out, it was nice an cold, and the spot was gone.

Has anyone seen this? Anyone know anything about what this would occur and why the cold would fix it?

Thanks,
chris

Reactions: marcmarshall

derekk1

Jul 31, 2011
I had exactly the same issue you described. The moisture spot would always go away eventually. However, one day, while in use, the screen suddenly died. The tablet was still working fine (confirmed with an hdmi cable). I was unlocked, so the tablet became useless. I have no idea if the moisture and screen failures were related or not, but if you are not unlocked, I'd probably try to get it repaired.

I suspect that what you and I have is a gap between the LCD and the digitizer. We have (3) tf701t's in our house now and no moisture spots yet on any of them.

Hope this helps.

blickley

Jul 27, 2011
I had exactly the same issue you described. The moisture spot would always go away eventually. However, one day, while in use, the screen suddenly died. The tablet was still working fine (confirmed with an hdmi cable). I was unlocked, so the tablet became useless. I have no idea if the moisture and screen failures were related or not, but if you are not unlocked, I'd probably try to get it repaired.

I suspect that what you and I have is a gap between the LCD and the digitizer. We have (3) tf701t's in our house now and no moisture spots yet on any of them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, good to know. I am unfortunately already rooted and running sbdags rom. It is interesting that it only happens when I have had it in the case for a little while. Hadn't happened again for about a week, but started happened again last night. Fortunately, it went away on its own again very quickly. Oh well, it is what it is.

marcmarshall

Apr 20, 2010
Providence
I've seen some threads about this on other tabs, like the Galaxy Tab 10.1, but not on the Asus tablets yet. On my TF701T, I noticed over the past month that when I take it out of the case I have for it (a neoprene case with a zipper), it has a spot in the middle about the size of two quarters that looks like moisture under the glass.

Within a few seconds of turning it on (and sometimes not even turning it on), it disappears by quickly getting smaller and smaller into the center.

However, last night I saw something even more odd....the spot disappeared with the exception of a ring of moisture (instead of a full circle) that stayed and wouldn't go away (again, slightly larger than a quarter). Touching parts of the screen would jiggle the ring. It seems like something was happening in the LCD display.

In the past when it went away, I assumed the screen was warming up and causing it to go away. However since it didn't this time, I thought something was damaged.

I saw a bizarre thread somewhere that suggested to put it in the fridge or freezer for a short time and the cooling would make it go away....if I remember correctly, it may have implied that the LCD and digitizer where touching or stuck together. I figured, what the heck, I stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes. When I got it out, it was nice an cold, and the spot was gone.

Has anyone seen this? Anyone know anything about what this would occur and why the cold would fix it?

Thanks,
chris

I have also noticed the same spot after pulling my tablet out of the neoprene case. I have been getting itchy to root but now I will hold off. Maybe I should try the freezer fix?

Thanks for post!

RoniNoble

Sep 30, 2015
ASUS Tf701 moisture ring center of glass

I had this happen in the past, but it always went away when I turned the tablet on. I always store it in a leather case, the screen never touches anything. It recently came back and will not go away. I've been reading threads about putting it in the freezer for a short time....my question is, how long have people left it in there, 2 minutes, 5 minutes? The spot is driving me crazy since it now won't go away.

Thanks for your assistance!
Roni :p

kotarokun

Oct 9, 2015
I have the same problem with my TF701T. But I noticed it isn't moisture between the screen but digitizer and the LCD screen touching eachother? If you bend the tablet really slightly towards you, you'll see the "moisture" go away. Don't have to apply too much force. Might be just design flaw IMO.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks,
    chris