nexus has LTE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

DJ_Jedi

Jun 10, 2010
I was Googling if any brave have flashed the Optimus G radio and i found this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2099784
So, i think the mod will flash the N4 radio on the Optimus G since it disable the LTE and to enable it you have to flash the ATT's radio back and this should tell us we can do the reverse with no problem.
Any volunteer? :)

zivan56

Jun 14, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Well I decided to give my own custom radio a try. Bottom line is it didn't work, at least properly. WiFi couldn't connect (can scan for networks) and cannot find any cellular network.
I'm sure the wifi issue can be solved by not copying over the WCNSS image files. However, the radio is a bit hard to say. My best guess is that the LG firmware uses custom AT commands init the modem. That's why it works when you take an Optimus G and flash the radio and system from a Nexus 4. Someone would have to be brave enough to flash the LG firmware on their N4 and give it a try.
At least we've confirmed that as long as you don't flash the "boot" partition, the N4 will still boot.

One caveat, it seems "fastboot flash radio" does not like overwriting radios. Perhaps its some sort of anti-downgrade mechanism, but I had to use a CWM flashable zip to get the N4 radio back. The CWM image does a raw write to the radio partition. Using fastboot to flash will say it did flash and the version will change in the bootloader. However, it doesn't seem like it actually does.

Also, I found it interesting that the "baseband version" numbers in both the bootloader and OS are simply the name of the FAT16 radio partition. So it has nothing to do with the actual firmware version on the phone. They could simply release it again with the same label and "trick" people into upgrading with a later firmware update.

Anyways, I don't really have much time to fiddle with this, but it should be somewhat safe to mess with the radio partition. At worst the modem won't boot and you will have to flash the stock radio back again. Since the modem is independent of the SoC, and the SoC boots from the "boot" image, it will at least be able to get into the bootloader. That being said hopefully CWM will boot at least if the modem fails to.

Reactions: io53

Simmo3D

Mar 24, 2011
If I can use fast boot to flash I will test it out. Just need someone to post a link to the Optimus G radio for me plz

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

DJ_Jedi

Jun 10, 2010
Zivan posted a firmware with the Bell radio (700mhz for the ATT users), you have just to extract the radio .img
removed by author request
He removed the link and i dunno why (but he is still in here, see 2 posts above) so he may tell us.
BTW where can we get stock OG radios?

Last edited:

zivan56

Jun 14, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Zivan posted a firmware with the Bell radio (700mhz for the ATT users), you have just to extract the radio .img
<REMOVED>
He removed the link and i dunno why (but he is still in here, see 2 posts above) so he may tell us.
BTW where can we get stock OG radios?

I removed it because of what I wrote "2 posts above". Please stop linking to it and quoting it, as people will flash it thinking it works, especially without putting up a giant warning right beside the link. I also tried flashing an Optimus G radio directly without fastboot and it still wouldnt work. Something else is needed to make it work fully.

DJ_Jedi

Jun 10, 2010
I removed it because of what I wrote "2 posts above". Please stop linking to it and quoting it, as people will flash it thinking it works, especially without putting up a giant warning right beside the link. I also tried flashing an Optimus G radio directly without fastboot and it still wouldnt work. Something else is needed to make it work fully.
Ok, i removed the link from my post.

Folks, you aren't going to be able to add a frequency band the hardware doesn't support.
Period.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The hw is there, so if you're not interested leave this thread. Thanks.

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a

None of the hardware analysis that we've seen has even hinted at support for 700 MHz bands at the antenna or power amplifier level. The chipset supports more bands but none of the hardware needed for those bands is present. If you have differing information please post your sources.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

intyleritrusted

Mar 19, 2009
Ok, i removed the link from my post.

Orly? Which hardware, specifically?

Lets not nerd-rage over silly hardware discrepancies.

We all want the same thing. That being, to blast through our data-caps on super fast AT&T LTE.

Well, you guys anyways, I'm on TM. Unlimited data is the only reason I'm sticking it through with their sorry excuse for network coverage.

kcchen

Mar 7, 2005

We all want the same thing. That being, to blast through our data-caps on super fast AT&T LTE.

Well, you guys anyways, I'm on TM. Unlimited data is the only reason I'm sticking it through with their sorry excuse for network coverage.

Lol... +1 same exact boat and same reason I want LTE. :)

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a

Right, well if the AT&T folks are desperately flashing anything they can to their N4s to try and enable a band it cannot possibly support, who's silly and who's got nerd-rage? :p

Reactions: reuthermonkey

rlestage

Aug 22, 2010
I highly doubt that it really works. Don't you think that it's just the Nexus' DC-HSPA+ being referred to as 4G in Android?
It would make sense, and it's also capable of up to 42 mbps

Anyway, did you modify anything?
Running a custom or stock ROM?

You really made me curious, though. Especially since there is in fact an, obviously not active, LTE chip in the N4.

The aspect ratio is the same as if it was 1280x768. It's most likely just a downscaled screenshot.

Are you guys for real? It's been already all over the web that it works in Canada on Band 4 LTE.

Recording right now with my work S3 and I'll upload soon.

Last edited:

lobrau

Jan 20, 2012
Ottawa
Could this be fixed? would there be a way to use the old radio on 4.2.2? or am I going back to 4.2.1 forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have managed to get LTE to stick as the default without needing to factory reset the phone.

First of all you need to modify the build.prop file and add this this line:
    Code:
    telephony.lteOnGsmDevice=1
    You may need to remove a line that says:
    Code:
    telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=0

After doing this reset the Nexus 4.

After it restarts go into Settings, More..., Mobile networks.

A new menu option should exist called Network Mode. In this menu you can pick the default mode and change between then.

This should stick between reboots without needing to factory reset the phone. This will need to be done again when flashing a new rom as it will overwrite the build.prop file. This was all tested on CM10.1 nightly builds.
    Ok, ok. Somebody, now find that hidden SD slot !!!!!!!!!!
    Woot! I demand infinity thankyous!

Just kidding of course, but I assume you put in the 9? If so, then all the lines you need to add in build.prop are:

telephony.lteOnGsmDevice=1
    ro.telephony.default_network=9
    ro.ril.def.preferred.network=9

...followed by a factory reset of your device
    See attached screenshots.

Video is now live and up and running! Vid is a walkthrough for 5 mins about how I got it to work. Enjoy :)

Nexus 4 has LTE!!