speed test equates to 2.75 MB/s

zzRPIGO.png

I am located in Washington DC. The plan i use is:

Mobile Share Value Plan 2GB $40.00
Mobile Share Value Smartphone 4G LTE w/ VVM $40.00
Discount for Mobile Share Value Savings−$15.00
International Roaming - Expanded $0.00
Total Monthly Plan Charges $65.00

Just myself on the plan, i used to pay almost $90 for the old 3GB, 450 min talk, unlimited text, plan from long ago but i was just looking around and found this new plan (new to me at least) which suits me well. I don't know why i got the -$15 discount but it brings it down to $65, and i got the S5 monthly phone payment plan for $25/month. essentially paying the same i've always been with AT&T.

i am not sure if this new plan i am using allows wifi tethering but it works for me. I have disabled every AT&T service/app from my phone as well. Just sharing my experience.

Can anyone else confirm that it's most likely that Mobile Share Value Plans allow tethering/wi-fi hotspot from the S5?

Last edited:

pingfl00d

Nov 27, 2011
If you get the family plan tethering is free

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

SlimJ87D

Jan 16, 2008
Might want to cross your. Mac address out just to be safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium HD app

Player04

Apr 9, 2014
Sharing is caring!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Xandlinger

Feb 10, 2010
Any Mobile Share plan of any size allows for WiFi hotspot with no additional charge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

radfordra

Jun 18, 2014
All current mobile share plans include hotspot at no additional charge. However that is a useless thing since LTE would. Eat up the limited data very quickly.

cstayton

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 5, 2011
Waite Park, MN.
All current mobile share plans include hotspot at no additional charge. However that is a useless thing since LTE would. Eat up the limited data very quickly.

Not sure how you figure tethering is useless, I it for emergency connections to work when im on the road and it doesn't eat up that much data unless you start downloading or streaming music/videos etc.

and P.S. NOT all mobile share plans include tethering, I currently have the Family share plan (Which does include tethering) I also have a second plan which is a 10gb shared plan and it does NOT include tethering

zoso28

Feb 17, 2008
East Coast
Just myself on the plan, i used to pay almost $90 for the old 3GB, 450 min talk, unlimited text, plan from long ago but i was just looking around and found this new plan (new to me at least) which suits me well. I don't know why i got the -$15 discount but it brings it down to $65, and i got the S5 monthly phone payment plan for $25/month. essentially paying the same i've always been with AT&T.

Can anyone else confirm that it's most likely that Mobile Share Value Plans allow tethering/wi-fi hotspot from the S5?

Chillsen, the reason you get the $15 discount is because you haven't gotten a new phone since February. If you get a new 2yr contract you'll lose that $15 discount, or you can do next with a phone installment & keep the discount.

and P.S. NOT all mobile share plans include tethering, I currently have the Family share plan (Which does include tethering) I also have a second plan which is a 10gb shared plan and it does NOT include tethering

And the mobile share value plans all include tethering. If you share data, it includes tethering, with any of the plan tiers. The older nation/familytalk plans don't include it unless your individual data feature is the $50 5GB one. You could theatrically be on some grandfathered feature/plan that's different, but it would have to be from 6+ years ago before I started working for at&t.

cstayton

Mar 5, 2011
Waite Park, MN.
Chillsen, the reason you get the $15 discount is because you haven't gotten a new phone since February. If you get a new 2yr contract you'll lose that $15 discount, or you can do next with a phone installment & keep the discount.

And the mobile share value plans all include tethering. If you share data, it includes tethering, with any of the plan tiers. The older nation/familytalk plans don't include it unless your individual data feature is the $50 5GB one. You could theatrically be on some grandfathered feature/plan that's different, but it would have to be from 6+ years ago before I started working for at&t.

actually the other plan that i have (currently has 3 devices on it) is the initial unlimited data package probably from around the 6 to 7 yr ago mark and even though it is unlimited it does not include tethering and i can't change it do to an employer subsidy if i change it i loose it (or so i was told)

I also have a friend who has a tiered data plan from AT&T which is not the family shared plan she just signed up for this around 18 to 24mnths ago and it does not include tethering so I guess im confused if all tiered plans are supposed to have free tethering what gives?

zoso28

Feb 17, 2008
East Coast
actually the other plan that i have (currently has 3 devices on it) is the initial unlimited data package probably from around the 6 to 7 yr ago mark and even though it is unlimited it does not include tethering and i can't change it do to an employer subsidy if i change it i loose it (or so i was told)

I also have a friend who has a tiered data plan from AT&T which is not the family shared plan she just signed up for this around 18 to 24mnths ago and it does not include tethering so I guess im confused if all tiered plans are supposed to have free tethering what gives?

The unlimited plans never allowed tethering (for obvious reasons) and you're correct, once you give it up, it's gone. The employer discount applies to some portion of your bill no matter what plan you're on, it's just better on certain ones depending on the employer's agreement. I have 3 unlim data lines, and with my discount they're $23 each (pretty awesome, but no "official" tethering).

The 18/20 month next program has to do with financing the phone, so she may or may not get tethering with her plan regardless of the phone terms. But basically if you have the 1,2,4,6,10,20,30 etc gigabyte shared data plan, tethering has been included in all of them, all along. If it's an individual 250mb, 300mb, 2gb, or 3gb feature, tethering is not included.

cstayton

Mar 5, 2011
Waite Park, MN.
The unlimited plans never allowed tethering (for obvious reasons) and you're correct, once you give it up, it's gone. The employer discount applies to some portion of your bill no matter what plan you're on, it's just better on certain ones depending on the employer's agreement. I have 3 unlim data lines, and with my discount they're $23 each (pretty awesome, but no "official" tethering).

The 18/20 month next program has to do with financing the phone, so she may or may not get tethering with her plan regardless of the phone terms. But basically if you have the 1,2,4,6,10,20,30 etc gigabyte shared data plan, tethering has been included in all of them, all along. If it's an individual 250mb, 300mb, 2gb, or 3gb feature, tethering is not included.

I see your from the East Coast? I'm starting to think AT&T has different plans depending on geographic location when i switched my family line tothe family shared plan (less than a year ago) there was no 20 or 30gb shared plans only a 10gb and a 15gb, are the 20 and 30gb plans new? if so Im going to go switch getting tired of the kids burning thru 10gb of data in a week :laugh::laugh:

zoso28

Feb 17, 2008
East Coast
I see your from the East Coast? I'm starting to think AT&T has different plans depending on geographic location when i switched my family line tothe family shared plan (less than a year ago) there was no 20 or 30gb shared plans only a 10gb and a 15gb, are the 20 and 30gb plans new? if so Im going to go switch getting tired of the kids burning thru 10gb of data in a week :laugh::laugh:

They do have different options in different markets but mostly when they're testing something new or the regulations force it. The 20/30/40/50GB plans only came out in the last couple months though

Reactions: cstayton

radfordra

Jun 18, 2014
The reason why I find tethering useless is because of well some of us can't afford the 10GB plan is far more money than I ever want to pay AT&T for anything. I am on the 1GB plan because it's all I can afford to buy from them with all of my lines. Actually what is your bill like anyway? It's gotta be over like $300. Your employee discount depending on what agreements your job has with AT&T might only apply to the rate plan only and not device connection charges. I get an 8% discount with my job but it only applies to the $25 rate plan so I get $2 off and not the $11.20 I was hoping for...

Last edited:

zoso28

Feb 17, 2008
East Coast
Discounts go as high as 28% so someone can get a 10G plan with their own phone for $87/mo which ain't bad. Unfortunately you're right, discounts only apply to the primary group feature ($100 for 10gb, $60 for 700min familytalk, etc). I'm lucky enough to have a few unlimited data lines with a generous discount on everything so I keep my plan as is, but it's still expensive. $220/mo for 4 lines

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

They do have different options in different markets but mostly when they're testing something new or the regulations force it. The 20/30/40/50GB plans only came out in the last couple months though