Defy Update

Search This thread

scrannel

Aug 27, 2007
I just received this update OTA (3.6.360). It's for T- Mo phones (USA?) and has a link listing a number of "fixes". I have no issues with the supposed fixes except in on (T-MO USA) area: wifi calling. I had been experiencing some moments of voice loss on wifi calling. I did a reset which seemed to have cured it. Apparently this update stabilizes wifi calling and also makes "visual voice mail" now work over wifi. Let you know what happens.

bobbyphoenix

Mar 30, 2010
Orlando, FL
I also just received it. Wow the screen scrolling is so silky smooth now. It was nice before, but it just glides now. Actually all selections are smoother. Homescreens, app drawer, widget scrolling. I also notice the touch sensitivity is better too. They greatly improved the overall feel of this phone's UI (not that it was anywhere near bad before). Very nice indeed!

scrannel

Aug 27, 2007
I also just received it. Wow the screen scrolling is so silky smooth now. It was nice before, but it just glides now. Actually all selections are smoother. Homescreens, app drawer, widget scrolling. I also notice the touch sensitivity is better too. They greatly improved the overall feel of this phone's UI (not that it was anywhere near bad before). Very nice indeed!

Have been reading on this link about some wifi issues with the update: ie. cannot send text while wifi on, phone getting hot, battery life lower... you see any of those issues?

Thanks

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/44255?start=0&tstart=0

Last edited:

bobbyphoenix

Mar 30, 2010
Orlando, FL
Have been reading on this link about some wifi issues with the update: ie. cannot send text while wifi on, phone getting hot, battery life lower... you see any of those issues?

Thanks

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/44255?start=0&tstart=0

Honestly I have never had an issue with any of those. The only thing I ever noticed was when I was on Wi-Fi, and I would text, I would see the icons for both Wi-Fi and 3G at the same time. Phone never gets hot, and battery life has been good (100% full charge with little use I can go 3 days. 100% charge with heavy use and I get a good day and a half). Since I just update today I will give a a little time, and post back if anything got worse or better.

scrannel

Aug 27, 2007
Honestly I have never had an issue with any of those. The only thing I ever noticed was when I was on Wi-Fi, and I would text, I would see the icons for both Wi-Fi and 3G at the same time. Phone never gets hot, and battery life has been good (100% full charge with little use I can go 3 days. 100% charge with heavy use and I get a good day and a half). Since I just update today I will give a a little time, and post back if anything got worse or better.

One reason I ask is because I have terrible cell service and use wifi calling not only for calls but for sending text, which works fine now and would hate to update and discover I can't do this anymore.

OK DID IT... all seems to work as before. Somethings seem faster, sure I'll see a few new things as I go along.

Last edited:

slipknotfn

Jul 20, 2009
N. Central Illinois
Just downloaded it. Freed up about 70mb of RAM for me. Seems to be running smoother too. Booted twice which I was not prepared for. Still hoping for an official FroYo. After seeing the leaked release in the dev forum, I think it is a matter of time. If Samsung can release one for the Vibrant..... Yeah. But for now I can learn this like I learned my Win Mo.

EDIT: It appears that after this update I have lost root on my stock ROM. I cannot regain root through super1click nor z4root. Both fail to initialize. Super1 just locks up and z4 force closes. Not sure what could be the culprit. Did a factory data reset and am attempting to reinstall all apps including root.:mad:

EDIT: So yes it appears that indeed this has nullified my root access. Trying right now again with z4root and it is stuck in the attempting to apply root screen. Looks like Moto does not want their stuff messed with. Shoulda known better. Any ideas? I am really, really new to Android so I have been trying to avoid too much. Now that it force closed it looks like it will not let it do anything AND uninstalled it from my device. Will not let me install it again either. How nice. Glad I spent $ to be told what I can and can't do with my phone. :mad: :mad:

Last edited:

Telyx

Aug 31, 2009
Garden City, MI
I have tried 3 times now to install this update, twice with the phone still rooted and once after unrooting and rebooting. Each time, I see the little Android guy next to an open box with a progress bar, which goes to about 1/3, then I get the triangle with ! inside next to the little Android guy. That isn't supposed to happen, right?

Judging by more recent posts about this update, it's just as well I can't install it.

Last edited:

Telyx

Aug 31, 2009
Garden City, MI
I deleted the music downloading apps, but FamilyRoom is still there. And I'm finding that a factory reset doesn't restore all that junk, so I still can't install the update. Poop.

wtfallen

Jan 31, 2011
I have tried 3 times now to install this update, twice with the phone still rooted and once after unrooting and rebooting. Each time, I see the little Android guy next to an open box with a progress bar, which goes to about 1/3, then I get the triangle with ! inside next to the little Android guy. That isn't supposed to happen, right?

Judging by more recent posts about this update, it's just as well I can't install it.

I'm having the same issue.

I've backed up all the bloatware onto another SD I removed with titanium, so I hope once putting those back on and unrooting will fix it.

djdubbled

Feb 1, 2011
EDIT: It appears that after this update I have lost root on my stock ROM. I cannot regain root through super1click nor z4root. Both fail to initialize. Super1 just locks up and z4 force closes. Not sure what could be the culprit.

I'm new to rooting and have the same problem, can't un-root, can't root after update. superoneclick stops at "reading OS version properties" when trying to root. Then says "super user not installed" when trying to un-root.

The worst part is the update reinstalled all that crap bloatware which is the reason I rooted in the first place. My bad for not un-rooting BEFORE I updated.

nhuloan

Jan 9, 2009
htown

same here- anyone here knows how to fix this issue?

Last edited:

Telyx

Aug 31, 2009
Garden City, MI
I finally got it figured out. My problem was that I deleted some "bloatware" files that, for some reason, are essential to have in order for the update to run. Assuming you did the same thing:

If you haven't already, use Z4Root to root your phone and then install the recovery app found in post 83 here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=875233&page=9 . Run that recovery app in Recovery Boot mode, select Backup, and let it create a nandroid backup of your phone. That backup will end up in /goapkrev/backup on your SD card.

You'll need to download the ROM from post #39 on this page: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=880813&page=4 Unrar it, then copy the folder containing 4 files into /goapkrev/backup on your card.

Run Recovery again, but this time select Backup & Restore - Advanced Restore. Select the folder you just copied to your card (2010-12-31.15.54.38), then select Restore System and let it run. That will leave your apps and data untouched. After the restore, select the option to reboot the phone.

Download and install the update, then reboot.

After rebooting, you can re-root using SuperOneClick found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=913709 Don't forget to enable USB debugging first.

So far, so good :)

Last edited:
Reactions: tjdmobile and Aksen

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I finally got it figured out. My problem was that I deleted some "bloatware" files that, for some reason, are essential to have in order for the update to run. Assuming you did the same thing:

If you haven't already, use Z4Root to root your phone and then install the recovery app found in post 83 here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=875233&page=9 . Run that recovery app in Recovery Boot mode, select Backup, and let it create a nandroid backup of your phone. That backup will end up in /goapkrev/backup on your SD card.

You'll need to download the ROM from post #39 on this page: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=880813&page=4 Unrar it, then copy the folder containing 4 files into /goapkrev/backup on your card.

Run Recovery again, but this time select Backup & Restore - Advanced Restore. Select the folder you just copied to your card (2010-12-31.15.54.38), then select Restore System and let it run. That will leave your apps and data untouched. After the restore, select the option to reboot the phone.

Download and install the update, then reboot.

After rebooting, you can re-root using SuperOneClick found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=913709 Don't forget to enable USB debugging first.

So far, so good :)
    I presume everyone has seen this by now as it's also been posted on the Moto forum:

http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/MOTOR...news-for-our-loyal-DEFY-Community/td-p/693707
    I'm new to rooting and have the same problem, can't un-root, can't root after update. superoneclick stops at "reading OS version properties" when trying to root...
    I have this reading os version... problem as well. But an older version worked http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=913709
    cheena and luisd77, yesterday afternoon when the update got pushed to my phone, I put off installing it and searched all over the internal folders looking for a large file that might be the update but couldn't find it. I'd have loved to post it.

luisd77, did you see my post on the previous page? I had the same problem, but after restoring the system files from a "virgin" Defy nandroid backup, I was able to install the update.
    Originally Posted by naenee
    Isn't it Fota.apk that takes care of Over The Air updates? (I assume F stands for Firmware). It's in /system/app.

Originally Posted by tjdmobile
    Sounds like a good candidate to me! I will rename it later and see if that breaks anything.

I tried and did not work for me.
    Is there any other idea to reject the update?

I've just found the way to do this, after a very long hunt:

I used "Uninstaller Pro for Root", and it showed it as Updater (com.motorola.blur.updater), it's actually this "/system/app/BlurUpdater.apk", try to rename it, it disabled "System updates" under Settings for me.