[SGH-I317/M] CF-Auto-Root

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Check your device model ! Settings -> About device -> Model number. See the third post for exact support model numbers. If your device is a totally different model, it will not work (may even brick) !

CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
CF-Root has been available for many devices and has clocked over 8 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
- SuperSU binary and APK
- Stock recovery

Installation and usage
Flash the CF-Auto-Root package as PDA in ODIN (details on how to do that are in next post), and your device should reboot into a modified recovery (signified by a large red Android logo) and it will install SuperSU for you and restore the stock recovery, and reboot back into Android.

If you don't get to the red Android logo, boot into recovery manually ("adb reboot recovery", or boot while holding Power+VolUp+Home).

Using this root increases your flash counter. You should run Triangle Away (see below) after rooting to reset the counter. Note that if you want to run custom kernels or custom recoveries, your flash counter will be set to 1 at every boot. Either configure Triangle Away to reset the counter at every boot (Play version only) or only reset the counter when you need to go into warranty.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Not included - Triangle Away
Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
[CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.

Last edited:

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
ODIN Installation (detailed)

- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
- Unzip the attached Odin3-vX.X.zip file
- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
- If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
- Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
- Click the Start button
- Wait for Android to boot
- Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

- NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ;)) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!

You may now optionally want to install and run Triangle Away to reset the flash counter.

Attachments

• Odin3-v1.85.zip
    198.6 KB · Views: 25,551
Last edited:

Artimus009

Apr 30, 2011
Jacksonvillle
how does one use triangle away? it is an app that resets counter on boot? Is this necessary to use more than once if plan is just to root it? Then can uninstall?

Read the info on the app thread...no, all you nerd to do is use it once. The only time you need to use it again is when you flash something that increases the counter.

feerlessleadr

Nov 17, 2010
this may be a really stupid question, so apologies in advance (first samsung phone, came from moto atrix 4g)

After I run CF-autoroot, and it installs the stock recovery, are there any restrictions on further installing a custom recovery? I wouldn't imagine so, but I don't want to do anything to mess up my 1 hour old phone :)

Thanks in advance.

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA
this may be a really stupid question, so apologies in advance (first samsung phone, came from moto atrix 4g)

After I run CF-autoroot, and it installs the stock recovery, are there any restrictions on further installing a custom recovery? I wouldn't imagine so, but I don't want to do anything to mess up my 1 hour old phone :)

Thanks in advance.

No, just remember to do nandroids (backup) all the time before install any mods, roms or themes.

joeycass

Mar 2, 2011
Successfully rooted my SGH-I317!
I ran into no issues along the way. It did take me about 45 seconds though as I read everything twice. Looks like I'm still in noob status.

Thanks OP!

Last edited:

wongda

Jun 18, 2012
Is there a way to do this on OSX?

worked perfectly on my ATT Note II. Rooted with this a Odin then flashed TWRP with good manager and SU. Already have a good stock backup :)

I downloaded CF-Auto-Root-t01tecan-sghi317m.zip

bash-3.2# tar tvf CF-Auto-Root-t0ltecan-sghi317m.tar.md5
-rw-r--r-- 0 apache apache 6115328 7 Nov 19:04 recovery.img
-rw-r--r-- 0 apache apache 14258360 7 Nov 19:04 cache.img

and I did:

bash-3.2# heimdall flash --cache cache.img --recovery recovery.img
Heimdall v1.3.2, Copyright (c) 2010-2012, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
Claiming interface...
Setting up interface...

Checking if protocol is initialised...
Protocol is not initialised.
Initialising protocol...
Handshaking with Loke...

Beginning session...
Session begun with device of type: 131072

Downloading device's PIT file...
PIT file download sucessful

Uploading RECOVERY
100%
RECOVERY upload successful
Uploading CACHE
100%
ERROR: Failed to confirm end of file transfer sequence!
CACHE upload failed!
Ending session...
ERROR: Failed to send end session packet!

The whole thing hangs ...

I need to redo without cache.img

bash-3.2# heimdall flash --recovery recovery.img

Reboot - the red android icon appears - trying to root ...

Reboot again, nothing happened ... still no root access ...

Am I missing something here? Anyone getting this to work on a Mac?

Last edited:

Suzook1

Jun 12, 2010
if I do the root can the store tell as I may try and return for white in 10 days when they get more in stock. Just not liking the Titanium but also cant wait to root :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Check your device model ! Settings -> About device -> Model number. See the third post for exact support model numbers. If your device is a totally different model, it will not work (may even brick) !

CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
    CF-Root has been available for many devices and has clocked over 8 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Stock recovery

Installation and usage
    Flash the CF-Auto-Root package as PDA in ODIN (details on how to do that are in next post), and your device should reboot into a modified recovery (signified by a large red Android logo) and it will install SuperSU for you and restore the stock recovery, and reboot back into Android.

If you don't get to the red Android logo, boot into recovery manually ("adb reboot recovery", or boot while holding Power+VolUp+Home).

Using this root increases your flash counter. You should run Triangle Away (see below) after rooting to reset the counter. Note that if you want to run custom kernels or custom recoveries, your flash counter will be set to 1 at every boot. Either configure Triangle Away to reset the counter at every boot (Play version only) or only reset the counter when you need to go into warranty.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Not included - Triangle Away
    Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
    As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
    http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
    [CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
    For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.
    ODIN Installation (detailed)

- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
    - Unzip the attached Odin3-vX.X.zip file
    - Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
    - If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
    - (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
    - Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
    - Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
    - (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
    - Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
    - Click the Start button
    - Wait for Android to boot
    - Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

- NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ;)) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!

You may now optionally want to install and run Triangle Away to reset the flash counter.
    Download

2013.05.20 --- CF-Auto-Root

SuperSU: v1.30

Download:

SGH-I317: CF-Auto-Root-t0lteatt-t0lteatt-samsungsghi317.zip
    SGH-I317M: CF-Auto-Root-t0ltecan-t0ltevl-sghi317m.zip

--- History ---
    2013.05.20: SuperSU v1.30
    2013.02.20: SuperSU v1.05
    2012.12.02: SuperSU v0.98
    2012.11.08: SuperSU v0.96
    @CF - donation made for your efforts with the "keep it simple root method"! this is the easiest method to root and then unroot that i've used. :) right after i rooted my device, i installed GooManager, flashed TWRP and began customizing my device. however, after a couple of days with my GN2, i've determined i'm not the targeted user for this device, so i unrooted and returned to att. this is a solid device, super fast, fluid with unlimited potential! In my case, I simply prefer the size of my S3.

my unroot, return to stock rom, stock recovery and Normal device status are listed below. AS ALWAYS I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS FUBAR's YOUR DEVICE. i'm simply posting for informational purposes only. (not sure all of the steps below are are necessary):

1. Reboot to TWRP recovery to complete a factory reset
    2. Used CF's method to re-root and reinstall the stock recovery (e.g., method listed in 2nd Post of this thread).
    3. Purchased & installed Triangle-Away from market
    4. Used Triangle-Away to reset the counter
    5. After reboot (from step 4) uninstalled Triangle Away
    6. Via SuperSU, used the Full Unroot option to unroot. Checked GN2 Device Status and it said Modified
    7. Booted into stock recovery performed a factory reset.
    8. After device rebooted, checked Device Status again and it said Normal
    9. Returned the device to att corp store; att checked and confirmed device status (as Normal) and issued a refund.
    CF, thanks again for your efforts!
    Thread cleaned

There is a Thanks button on the OP - use it rather than cluttering up the thread.