[kernel]First kernel for 3D built by the 3D, ButteredToast fork

Search This thread

jcfunk

Mar 18, 2008
Please excuse the noobness of my question! But what does this kernel do that others don't? Does it make the 3D camera work in custom roms or? Again, please excuse my noobishness as it looks like everyone else on this thread knows what's going on and I don't :confused:

THANKS!!! :laugh:

It is a native built kernel, no cross compiling.
Using ARM processor to make ARM binaries.

Sent from my DOWNGRADED EVO 3D

PiggyFlooper

Oct 12, 2013
Well, that was an adventure! I flashed your mod recovery, v1. Used rashr, good recommendation. I'm not used to twrp. So formatted to f2fs, it worked. But after that couldn't flash a Rom, because kernel(your b.t.mod) couldn't read SELinux contexts, whatever that means. Well, made mistake of wiping /system in the process. Had to flash mac kernel to be able to flash Rom. So until you got everything working, no more testing for me:eek:

Sent from above using Xparent BlueTapatalk

jcfunk

Mar 18, 2008
Well, that was an adventure! I flashed your mod recovery, v1. Used rashr, good recommendation. I'm not used to twrp. So formatted to f2fs, it worked. But after that couldn't flash a Rom, because kernel(your b.t.mod) couldn't read SELinux contexts, whatever that means. Well, made mistake of wiping /system in the process. Had to flash mac kernel to be able to flash Rom. So until you got everything working, no more testing for me:eek:

selinux is used in jb and newer roms. Its a security thing. Just don't know why installers are not working.

Sent from my DOWNGRADED EVO 3D, remember all development is done on my phone, not a computer

PiggyFlooper

Oct 12, 2013
Is the buttered toast kernel NOT configured for ksm?

Sent from above using Xparent Tapatalk Blue

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
reviving this thread, as it seems the most appropriate place to post this.
I had forgotten how cool it is to see a kernel building on-phone, hadn't made a working chroot for my evo since getting it.
now that my desktop pc went kablooey, I dug out aide and put an ubuntu 14.04 chroot on the evo to keep myself entertained.
the ubuntu 14.04 updated udev whines about no devtmpfs, so I had to rebuild the kernel.
thus this post.
thanks jcfunk for reminding me phones can indeed build even if not as fast as x86 hardware. my old optimus v only OC'd to 806MHz single-core, the evo is much more effective (and armv7 ubuntu is easier to use than armel debian.)

Last edited:

jcfunk

Mar 18, 2008
reviving this thread, as it seems the most appropriate place to post this.
I had forgotten how cool it is to see a kernel building on-phone, hadn't made a working chroot for my evo since getting it.
now that my desktop pc went kablooey, I dug out aide and put an ubuntu 14.04 chroot on the evo to keep myself entertained.
the ubuntu 14.04 updated udev whines about no devtmpfs, so I had to rebuild the kernel.
thus this post.
thanks jcfunk for reminding me phones can indeed build even if not as fast as x86 hardware. my old optimus v only OC'd to 806MHz single-core, the evo is much more effective (and armv7 ubuntu is easier to use than armel debian.)
Not really dead, updated source and working on getting to compile with 4.9
and since Ubuntu and linaro are together. The arm version is linaro's gcc. It's has a hell of a time errors in 3.0 kernel not in new kernels with same code. Don't know why.

jcfunk

Mar 18, 2008
Really just use terminal chroot, will checkout the app. I truely believe a native build is better then cross compiled

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Really just use terminal chroot, will checkout the app. I truely believe a native build is better then cross compiled

i get a charge from building on device. plus it's a lot more useful than setting up my old Toshiba laptop with comparable specs to the evo.

that x server is pretty sick, once i got everything set up right in the chroot i can watch YouTube in chromium-browser even.
never had smooth streaming with a vnc.

Last edited:

jcfunk

Mar 18, 2008
i get a charge from building on device. plus it's a lot more useful than setting up my old Toshiba laptop with comparable specs to the evo.

that x server is pretty sick, once i got everything set up right in the chroot i can watch YouTube in chromium-browser even.
never had smooth streaming with a vnc.
Maybe you can post image or guide how to setup. I don't have time to figure it out. [emoji3]

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Maybe you can post image or guide how to setup. I don't have time to figure it out. [emoji3]

basically open the xserver app, then in chroot
Code:
env DISPLAY=$(ifconfig | sed -En 's/127.0.0.1//;s/.*inet (addr:)?(([0-9]*\.){3}[0-9]*).*/\2/p'):0 startxfce4&
to start xfce4 .
substitute other GUI startup at will for startxfce4. the rest of the mess is just to grab the local ip so you don't hafta type it in. //server doesn't like 127.0.0.1 #actually it's cool but was a buttwumpus to find simple directions for local X port forwarding from a non-running system (chroot)

u7se this for forwarding localhost:6000 over ssh:
kind of working but inconsistent, wifi most consistent
Code:
ssh -X -L 6000:localhost:6000 you@localhost "startxfce4 &"
in chroot terminal.
you is your user/root, startxfce4 can be swapped for your personal choice.
gotta add shmem lib from xserver github and tmpfs at /dev/shm for chromium.
devtmpfs on in kernel or find a usable way around udev.

easier to use terminal but i like gimp and stuff too.
shouldn't derail your thread too much....
should mention whatever arm-linux-gnueabihf- came with 14.04 compiled johnnyslt's kitkat mirage shooter kernel all friendly-like and no issues running it.

Last edited:

jcfunk

Mar 18, 2008
Had problems, I'm using core Ubuntu img which didn't have xfce4 installed. Install and run your command, I get xserver running already.

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Had problems, I'm using core Ubuntu img which didn't have xfce4 installed. Install and run your command, I get xserver running already.

it's the x server app running, mine says that when it connects anyway.
instead of xce4, dwm is ultra light, but you have to use key shortcuts to open anything. lxde seems to want bigger screen. gnome is heavy but i may try it anyway.... maybe compiz, it's open gl.
xfce works decent, that's why i installed it.
//whoops, had extra & at end of ssh line that broke it. ssh tunnel better'n net tunnel anyway.
today only wifi working, wtf.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I compiled kernel on my phone using linux on andriod from ButteredToast source. This is only a CDMA, will work on GSM later.

Now I was able to compile MiRaGe kernel.

UPDATE :
    I forked Buttered Toast, and patched f2fs support.

Bigwillyg: for source and help compiling
    mrg666: for source and help compiling
    Linux on Android project by Zacthespack

Source:
    ButteredToast Forum Thread
    MiRaGe kernel Thread

My git fork of buttered toast

Download:
    BT_JCFunkMOD-vTEST.zip

ButteredToast-JcfunkMOD.zip
    ButteredToast-RLS-Jctunk-swap.zip

ButteredToast-RLS-Jcfunk-swap-f2fs.zip

MiRaGe_shooter_kernel-JcfunkMOD.zip

Here is a screen shot of my build machine

dumu9eja.jpg
    Just to let you guys know, I've just spent 8 hours merging this kernel with linux 3.0.101 in hopes to take kernel to 3.4 or newer. Only half way done, so may have a new kernel coming out
    I'm working on multiboot for bt kernel, using kexec. ideas taken from asus tf700t.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Reserved

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

selinux is used in jb and newer roms. Its a security thing. Just don't know why installers are not working.

Sent from my DOWNGRADED EVO 3D, remember all development is done on my phone, not a computer