[APP] [OMG] Google Voice SMS Popup Notifications

Search This thread

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
Finally, a Google Voice SMS popup solution...

Background:
First off, I definitely care about this more than 99% of ppl out there, and have been looking for a solution for over 2 years, and have posted on countless forums, emailed probably 50 developers, created my own ghetto tasker solutions.. etc

I use Google Voice for ALL of my calls and SMS (using Google Voice App and GV Callback for calls), and have since it was GrandCentral. Given that, it's driven me crazy that there's no SMS popup option to work with Google Voice... since they don't have an open API, mainly. All other SMS apps like GO SMS, Handcent, etc make you use the random Google Voice contact number and mess up my threads.

Today, I finally found an app that will work with Google Voice and display a popup for incoming SMS along with the message (screen on or off).

by developer, ProductiGeeky
Notifier Pro
is the paid version, but the
lite version
also works if you want to test it out with limited features.

The developer has also released variants of basically the same app with very slightly different features called:
iPhone Notifications and WP7 Notifications

There are lite versions available for both. NotifierPro seems to include all features of WP7, but the iPhone Notifications app has a better toast popup dialog-- which is not available in NotifierPro. However, it (iphone) doesn't have the robust features available in the NotifierPro version.

You can read the app descriptions for more details, but here are some screenshots to get an idea.
In the app description, there is no mention of Google Voice compatibility. I've contacted the developer, and think he should make a variant with google voice in mind.

BTW, you can add notifications for virtually any app (like Gmail, messaging, email, GTalk, etc) with tons of other features. The major downside is, you can only use your default notification tone, despite the fact you can customize the vibration. In the screenshots, I'm using NotifierPro with the various themes that come with the app.

Some NotifierPro features include:
• allowing you to move the location of the popup
• adjust screen off > screen on popup settings
• set if you want it to appear as a banner or notification
• choose themes
• set sleep schedules
• set repeat notification reminders, etc, etc.

Screenshots of NotifierPro app (I'm using the paid Plus version, but free also works):

device-2012-01-09-215253.png
device-2012-01-09-211634.png
device-2012-01-09-220022.png

device-2012-01-09-215826.png
device-2012-01-09-215052.png
device-2012-01-09-215005.png

iPhone Notifications version I mentioned
device-2012-01-09-214805.jpg

NOTE: If you're going to try this for Google Voice, it's best to turn off the audible notification in the google voice app (under Sync & Notifications) to prevent the double tone.

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do. It's got plenty of room for improvement, but it's an absolute step in the right direction.

Last edited:
A

Authentik

Does anybody know how he modified the carrier text at the bottom of the lockscreen?

droptothetop

Jul 12, 2010
I'd still love a more full blown Google Voice support, something like Go SMS that worked with GV, but maybe this is a start.

+1 on that.

The Google Voice app didn't actually work when I tried it... However, NotifierPro (original post) and PopupNotifier (also from the same dev - https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nlucas.popupnotificationslite) both worked. It seems like there's an overlap in functionality but all of these apps are just slightly different.

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
Ya, its all the same dev- if you have feature ideas, I think he is watching this thread. He's been pretty quick and responsive

•°NS4G • ICS°•

c19932

Jun 9, 2010
Google Pixel 6
tried google voice notification as well as notifier, but both didnt work for me.

Both apps basically dont even give me any notifications at all for anything, such as missed calls, text, etc. I did already checked the accessibility thingy. Any idea why? I am on CM7, HTC sensation

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
tried google voice notification as well as notifier, but both didnt work for me.

Both apps basically dont even give me any notifications at all for anything, such as missed calls, text, etc. I did already checked the accessibility thingy. Any idea why? I am on CM7, HTC sensation

Interesting. I wonder if this only works on ICS .. (for google voice).
May be obvious, but have you tried rebooting?

Last edited:

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
Looks pretty nice.

Do you by any chance know of an app that works with GV that provides a better user interface than the stock GV app?

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
Looks pretty nice.

Do you by any chance know of an app that works with GV that provides a better user interface than the stock GV app?

Unless you count Handcent, GO SMS, or any of those others, no, not that I've seen-- and since Google Voice has a closed API (as of now..and probably eternity), we probably won't see one. That's why I like to theme them :)

I used handcent for a while, but get annoyed that it ends up jacking up my contact numbers-- having to add an extra number for anyone I text, and only reflecting sms messages sent and received by handcent.

lexluthor

Feb 7, 2007
When I do test notification, I got a white bar at the top with a test.

I don't get anything for incoming GV message.

What am I supposed to see for an incoming GV message? Just that same bar at the top?

Not really sure how that helps me too much. I still need to open the app to reply and clicking the bar doesn't even take you to GV or does it?

How exactly does this work?

droptothetop

Jul 12, 2010
Unless you count Handcent, GO SMS, or any of those others, no, not that I've seen-- and since Google Voice has a closed API (as of now..and probably eternity), we probably won't see one. That's why I like to theme them :)

I used handcent for a while, but get annoyed that it ends up jacking up my contact numbers-- having to add an extra number for anyone I text, and only reflecting sms messages sent and received by handcent.

I'm with you. With Sprint GV integration, Handcent etc work somewhat well but they aren't aware of the rest of my GV account/history. Switching between my PC browser and Handcent for a convo, for example.

These notifiers are a step in the right direction, but it's a little annoying that the notifiers don't get cleared automatically after I've read a msg or responded.

Baby steps though...

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
When I do test notification, I got a white bar at the top with a test.

I don't get anything for incoming GV message.

What am I supposed to see for an incoming GV message? Just that same bar at the top?

Not really sure how that helps me too much. I still need to open the app to reply and clicking the bar doesn't even take you to GV or does it?

How exactly does this work?

Did you select Google Voice from the other apps section in the settings? If you click on the banner notification, (in a real popup, not the test), it should take you to the actual message. I'm talking with the dev to work out kinks, and then hopefully build on that.

Wait, this is for the NotifierPro (free or plus version) . He pulled down the Google voice notification app because it wasn't working. One of the probs with GV not working internationally, as the dev can't test it himself.

•°NS4G • ICS°•

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally, a Google Voice SMS popup solution...

Background:
    First off, I definitely care about this more than 99% of ppl out there, and have been looking for a solution for over 2 years, and have posted on countless forums, emailed probably 50 developers, created my own ghetto tasker solutions.. etc

I use Google Voice for ALL of my calls and SMS (using Google Voice App and GV Callback for calls), and have since it was GrandCentral. Given that, it's driven me crazy that there's no SMS popup option to work with Google Voice... since they don't have an open API, mainly. All other SMS apps like GO SMS, Handcent, etc make you use the random Google Voice contact number and mess up my threads.

Today, I finally found an app that will work with Google Voice and display a popup for incoming SMS along with the message (screen on or off).

by developer, ProductiGeeky
    Notifier Pro
    is the paid version, but the
    lite version
    also works if you want to test it out with limited features.

The developer has also released variants of basically the same app with very slightly different features called:
    iPhone Notifications and WP7 Notifications

There are lite versions available for both. NotifierPro seems to include all features of WP7, but the iPhone Notifications app has a better toast popup dialog-- which is not available in NotifierPro. However, it (iphone) doesn't have the robust features available in the NotifierPro version.

You can read the app descriptions for more details, but here are some screenshots to get an idea.
    In the app description, there is no mention of Google Voice compatibility. I've contacted the developer, and think he should make a variant with google voice in mind.

BTW, you can add notifications for virtually any app (like Gmail, messaging, email, GTalk, etc) with tons of other features. The major downside is, you can only use your default notification tone, despite the fact you can customize the vibration. In the screenshots, I'm using NotifierPro with the various themes that come with the app.

Some NotifierPro features include:
    • allowing you to move the location of the popup
    • adjust screen off > screen on popup settings
    • set if you want it to appear as a banner or notification
    • choose themes
    • set sleep schedules
    • set repeat notification reminders, etc, etc.

Screenshots of NotifierPro app (I'm using the paid Plus version, but free also works):

device-2012-01-09-215253.png
    device-2012-01-09-211634.png
    device-2012-01-09-220022.png

device-2012-01-09-215826.png
    device-2012-01-09-215052.png
    device-2012-01-09-215005.png

iPhone Notifications version I mentioned
    device-2012-01-09-214805.jpg

NOTE: If you're going to try this for Google Voice, it's best to turn off the audible notification in the google voice app (under Sync & Notifications) to prevent the double tone.

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do. It's got plenty of room for improvement, but it's an absolute step in the right direction.
    Hi.

I'm the main dev.
    Thanks for your support.

Here are some explanations for the apps :
    - NotifierPro throws themable banner notifications for any app
    - Popup Notifier throws themable alerts for any app
    - WP7 Notifications throws WP7 themed banner notifications for any app
    - iPhone Notifications allows you to choose wether to get banner or popup notifications for any app on your phone
    - For now Google Voice Notifications shows notifications from Google Voice in a white banner

I'm happy to hear your suggestions.
    Something cool is in the works.. A different app. Have been working with a dev for the past few weeks and will post about it when it's finished. I'm excited tho. Stay tuned ;D