[HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

Search This thread

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
that was my same thought i had too, thats all i did was just clean the digitizer very good, but some people swear that the glue makes a difference look wise, i would have to compare but to me even without the glue on the digitizer the screen looked just as vibrant as OEM look.

I can attest to the difference between glue and no glue. It's a really clear difference.

I got the optical glue and it doesn't cover the whole screen. They sent the wrong size and I used it anyway. It covers all but ~1" on the bottom and ~1/4" on the top. There is a big quality difference. I guess you could say the images aren't as vivid.

I'll try to take a picture to demonstrate.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
I can attest to the difference between glue and no glue. It's a really clear difference.

I got the optical glue and it doesn't cover the whole screen. They sent the wrong size and I used it anyway. It covers all but ~1" on the bottom and ~1/4" on the top. There is a big quality difference. I guess you could say the images aren't as vivid.

I'll try to take a picture to demonstrate.

Curious, how did you install the loca without an autoclave?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
Not sure what you're asking.

How did I install the glue tape sheet?

Well of course your stating that you installed the clear adhesive refered to as OCA Optical Clear Adhesive. This is supposed to be done with a autoclave so I'm just wondering how you actually went about it, did you have any air bubbles excetera trapped, did you heat it...

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
Well of course your stating that you installed the clear adhesive refered to as OCA Optical Clear Adhesive. This is supposed to be done with a autoclave so I'm just wondering how you actually went about it, did you have any air bubbles excetera trapped, did you heat it...

I did it by hand, and it did not come out perfect. Had I not got my finger stuck to it at one point, I likely could have had a near perfect set. Because of that, though, I have an air pocket of sorts (it folded up slightly and I can't press it down) on the left side about 1/2" or so and random speckles here and there.

Initially, I had a ton of bubbles and was really upset. I thought I messed it up bad. I was able to press EXTREMELY hard with my fingers on each individual section of bubbles and press them flat.

Overall, it's not perfect but there's no dust at all under the screen so far and that annoying "rainbow" circle isn't present. When I did it without the optical tape, the rainbow was there, I could hardly see in the sun and my screen was filled up with dust.

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
Sorry for the poor picture quality, used the wife's Lumia. As you can see, the left side has "speckles" (my finger stuck to it...I was wearing those "finger condoms" though) and there are a few random elsewhere...plus I have a few small nicks in the digitizer from the first time I changed the screen because I pried too hard and left little marks, which looks like small dust spots on the screen all the time.

The flash really makes them show, lol, it doesn't normally look THAT bad.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361750364049.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361750364049.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 786
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361750371505.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361750371505.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 759

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
Thanks for sharing. Although I've never worked with the OCA or Loca it seems like it would be virtually impossible not to contaminant with dust and or air bubbles without a clean room and an autoclave. I'd like to try though, where did you get the OCA sheet.?

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
Thanks for sharing. Although I've never worked with the OCA or Loca it seems like it would be virtually impossible not to contaminant with dust and or air bubbles without a clean room and an autoclave. I'd like to try though, where did you get the OCA sheet.?

www.etradesupply.com

SKU# ESSAM10305469

I don't know if they sent me the wrong one or what but it is about 1/4" to small top and bottom.

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
Did you call them and ask them if they made an error?

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
Did you call them and ask them if they made an error?

No. I should have, but I already had my screen off and ready to start working when I opened the package and realized it looked too small. I don't have a backup phone and I figured I could make it work.

prototype.77

Sep 18, 2011
Galveston
Great tutorial man. I just replaced the glass on my sisters S3 and when removing the glass I noticed this jell like substance between the glass and I guess the digitizer. Well when cleaning the screen (digitizer) off I was thinking that the lack of this could cause a problem in the future. It takes up space inbetween the glass and the digitizer. It helps with the digitizer recognizing selections you might make when touching the glass. Without this there is a gap or open space where this once was. After getting it all back together it seemed that the screen responded fine to my touch however I noticed that the glass didnt seem as solid or stable without the jell under it (I also have a S3 and was comparing the two side by side). I told my sister to be careful with the glass because it felt like if you pushed to hard the glass would give and then crack with nothing under it to support it. A week later the screen cracked. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and if so is there a fix?

mrbmg

Nov 14, 2010
Midlothian, TX
Great tutorial man. I just replaced the glass on my sisters S3 and when removing the glass I noticed this jell like substance between the glass and I guess the digitizer. Well when cleaning the screen (digitizer) off I was thinking that the lack of this could cause a problem in the future. It takes up space inbetween the glass and the digitizer. It helps with the digitizer recognizing selections you might make when touching the glass. Without this there is a gap or open space where this once was. After getting it all back together it seemed that the screen responded fine to my touch however I noticed that the glass didnt seem as solid or stable without the jell under it (I also have a S3 and was comparing the two side by side). I told my sister to be careful with the glass because it felt like if you pushed to hard the glass would give and then crack with nothing under it to support it. A week later the screen cracked. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and if so is there a fix?

Hmmm. That is interesting. Did you use the same glue the original screen had, or tape? Fixing to redo mine and trying to gather as much info as I can.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Civicrazy2002

Feb 22, 2013
uoY_redruM;38434942 SKU# ESSAM10305469 I don't know if they sent me the wrong one or what but it is about 1/4" to small top and bottom. Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium[/QUOTE said:
Damn I ordered all mine from etrade supplies and am really hoping they're the correct size!! They freeking better be at that ridiculous shipping price of theirs!!:mad: how the hell could it cost $23 to ship a letter size envelope?!

Kancler

May 11, 2011
[/COLOR]
I'm just waiting on my screens and optical adhesive. I will try with and without and will report back. I think I've found a way to vacuum out the bubbles so hang tight.
planing to build vacuum chamber ? if not can you share yours idea about how you plan to vacuum out the bubbles ? thanx

ps. i just read one post from phonefreaks h t t p ://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31321004&postcount=13 he says what its possible to move OCA before it cures, just need to spray glass or screen

Last edited:

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
[/COLOR]
planing to build vacuum chamber ? if not can you share yours idea about how you plan to vacuum out the bubbles ? thanx

ps. i just read one post from phonefreaks h t t p ://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31321004&postcount=13 he says what its possible to move OCA before it cures, just need to spray glass or screen

Read a page back. I did it without a vacuum. You can also see the results as I posted pictures. Had my finger not stuck to the adhesive, that major bubble section would not have been there and there would be, at most, a few random tiny bubbles.

machinetuk

Dec 14, 2012
I was able to remove the old glass and put the new one..but the soft keys (menu and back) are not working. I tried removing the glass and made sure that ribbon was in place..still not working... any suggestions ?

or..do I have to heat the glass and press it hard for the capacitive keys to work ?

Last edited:

Fricksta

Oct 5, 2010
Ok guys my S3 Screen cracked while in my pocket.. i ordered my new glass and have watched all the videos. My question is .. The kit came with screw drivers.. i am not replacing the digitizer just the glass.. Am i still removing any screws? none of the videos or tutorials mention removing any screws.

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
Ok guys my S3 Screen cracked while in my pocket.. i ordered my new glass and have watched all the videos. My question is .. The kit came with screw drivers.. i am not replacing the digitizer just the glass.. Am i still removing any screws? none of the videos or tutorials mention removing any screws.

No screws, just make sure you remove the battery.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

I was able to remove the old glass and put the new one..but the soft keys (menu and back) are not working. I tried removing the glass and made sure that ribbon was in place..still not working... any suggestions ?

or..do I have to heat the glass and press it hard for the capacitive keys to work ?

Sounds like you damaged the ribbon cable. Replacing the capacitive buttons, on a scale of 1 to 10 & 10 being the most difficult and risky it's a 10 to try to replace them. It's basically a 50-50 you'll break the lcd/Digitizer and the motherboard has to come out, hence just about a complete dissembling of the phone.

prototype.77

Sep 18, 2011
Galveston
It take a lot of patience!

Hmmm. That is interesting. Did you use the same glue the original screen had, or tape? Fixing to redo mine and trying to gather as much info as I can.

I did'nt purchase any glue or addhesive. I just used the addhesive that was still on the phone after heating the cracked screen to remove it. You have to take your time when doing this you don't want to remove any of the original addhesive because you don't have the addhesive hot enough and some comes off with the glass. After removing the cracked glass make sure you don't have any remaining chips of broken glass stuck in the addhesive. If there is the new glass wont stick and will lift off. I used a tooth pick. When aplying the new glass start at the bottom of the phone where the ribbon is for your soft keys and make sure they are in place. This is the patience part. Once the new glass is in place before you start pressing the glass down heat the edges up just like when you were removing the cracked glass and press the new glass down firmly. You will have to do this over and over until its back in its original position. The addhesive has to be hot and soft for you to do this properly. And then let cool all the way before really playing with your phone... Sorry OP for being so long.

---------- Post added at 03:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 AM ----------

The problem I had was'nt with the addhesive it was with the gap or void between the glass and the screen or digitizer that eventually led to the new glass cracking easy. There was'nt any jell under the glass to help support the glass and help the digitizer when making selections.

Reactions: mrbmg

gabak

Feb 16, 2013
video about replacing S3 glass

here i made a video about changing the gorilla glass for galaxy S3
i hope it helps.
it is in spanish but u can activate subtitles in youtube for the translation.

go to youtube and search gabaktech

enjoy it

Hi guys/gals

i recently cracked my S3 screen and followed this tutorial on replacement ,which was the best.
However in my repair i damaged the ribbon for the touch buttons, option and back.
i can get the replacement part from amazon but i was wondering if anyone has done this before?
a simple explanation on how to go about replacing the buttons would be good, a video would be great.
any suggestions ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all i take no credit for this discovery or process. If anyone wants credit for this information just MSG me with a reference and i will be more than happy to add you. However i looked around and the information was all scattered so i figured i'de add it all in one easy to follow post. Most of the info i found was thru youtube and a couple of my own added ideas.

This is a how to remove , separate , and replace a cracked
    S3 screen from the digitizer by melting/softening the adhesive glue
    (in other words it is how to replace JUST THE GLASS)

Many people out there still say that the S3 's glass can not be separated from the digitizer and that the digitizer and glass but be bought "fused" together from OEM..this is not true. It can indeed be separated using the the process below and it will work just fine and be just as responsive as when you first bought the phone. Video Proof below.

PLEASE SEE THESE VIDEOS For screen removal from digitizer and Use as reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eneLvVe7DwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZuiCsAtThw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJXXKOl7Nu8

The screen/glass part u are replacing looks like this
    (i know it doesn't look like it is glass but trust me it is glass, it is about as thin as 5 sheets of paper):

CVA6W.jpg

sICFr.jpg

video thanks to: marcustaz

This is how i replaced my screen and tools needed:

***Lots of Patience and carefulness *** (about 30 mins if u done before...about 60-90 mins if its your 1st time)

*** wear PROTECTIVE GOGGLES - EYE GLASSES (yes there is a HIGH POSSIBILITY that small glass shards may fly and glass in the eye is not fun)***

1) replacement screen - with no digitizer (exact pictures of what u need to buy are the pictures above..just match your color) ($25 USD aprox on Amazon - Cheaper on Ebay $18 USD) (The same screen fits all models just match the color...Samsung Galaxy S3 III T-mobile SGH-T999 / AT&T SGH-i747 / Verizon SCH-i535 / Sprint SPH-L710 / US Cellular SCH-R530 / GT-i9300)

2) exacto knife ($5 USD aprox)

3) heat gun ($20(harborfreight) for a cheapy....or $40 (homedepot) for a good one with adjustable heat)
    ***** HEAT IS CRITICAL, most people faill because they did not heat up the glass enough ( MUST BE around 180F)****

4) empty cereal box or cardboard calendar (or something similar that is comparable in sturdiness yet is "not too solid")

5) 90% rubbing alcohol ( $3.. make "damp" on a microfiber cloth or cotton ball (cotton-ball kinda makes a mess) removes any excess glue stuck to the digitizer)

6) microfiber cloth (available from .99 cent stores or dollar stores)

7) tweezers (.99 cent store ...or your moms/girlfriends/wife's beauty box..LoL)

OPTIONAL TOOLS BUT HELPS ALOT

*** an extra hand or two (1 or 2 more people helping is a big help)

*** laser thermometer (to make sure u do not overheat the phone, try to stay under 200F degrees with an average of about 180F degrees, slightly going over 200 does not hurt but i do not recommend)

*** thick leather gloves/welding gloves (prevents your hands from getting burned while someone else is heating the phone and maintaining the temp u can be easily removing the screen...at 180 degrees the glue and glass separate from the digitizer like BUTTER and the gloves protect you from getting burned by the heatgun!!!)

***Magnifying glass (to be able to make sure the glass fragments are completely removed from the digitizer so the new screen will sit flush)

*** thin latex/rubber gloves (when putting on the screen so there are no finger prints)

*** duck tape (hold glass together so it doesn't "fall apart" while removing)

Instructions on how i did it below:

Remove the battery , sim card, micro sdcard. Apply ductape or some kinda of good heat resistant tape to the top of the glass screen so the broken glass stays intact when removing. Put on your safety glasses/eye protection (believe me i highly recommend this regardless of how dorky you may look, if glass from the phone goes in your eye ...well you have been warned). Grab the exacto bladed and lightly apply pressure with it between the glass and the outer grey plastic trim and then outline the entire outer edge of the glass. Put on some heat resistant gloves (gloves that u wont feel the burn) Heat up your heatgun and heat the phones screen to around 180 Degrees Fahrenheit ...you can know the temp by using a laser thermometer (try not to go over 200 degrees). NOTE: U must remove the glass when its at around this temp, failure to do so will make it hard to remove the glass from the digitizer. Try to heat the entire phone evenly by using a "circular" or "side to side" type of motion when applying the heat. Find the outer edge of the glass and find a place in the corner to begin the removal. I recommend beginning on the top left side of the phone (where the S in SAMSUNG side of the corner) is at. Once the phone is heated to approx 180 degrees you can begin to lift the glass. (i do not recommend lifting in the middle of the screen or any "black part" of the screen as you can risk damaging the digitizer, the outer edge (where it is white/blue) is the safest spot to begin separation.) If you don't have access to a laser thermometer then you can risk it and just take your time till you notice the glass begins to "lift/separate" . Once you have a decent amount of the glass lifted (just enough to put the cardboard in) you can shove a piece of the cereal box inside and begin to use the cereal box to lift the rest of the glass. Continue this processes till the glass is all lifted and removed. When you start approaching the bottom of the phone where the button is at BE CAREFUL...try to go around the bottom and you will also notice 2 " touch ribbon light sensors"(look at the attachment pictures BELOW i labeled the light/ribbon sensor). They can removed from the glass using the heat gun and the exacto knife...it should lift right up and separate from the glass. Once u separate the ribbon your should be all done removing or close to done removing the glass from the digitizer. If by this point you haven't already removed the glass continue to remove till all the major pieces of glass is removed. Once the major pieces of glass are removed you can now put on some latex gloves and Remove the excess glass on the corners using the exacto knife and the tweezers. Carefully remove the small pieces of glass on the digitizer using a 90% alcohol LIGHTLY DAMPENED microfiber cloth. DO NOT APPLY HEAVY PRESSURE TO THE DIGITIZER when tiny glass is still on there (instead just kind of gently sweep it...using a new paint brush might even help) when removing the small glass fragment, NOTE that if you do apply too much pressure to the digitizer u risk the glass shards scratching or denting the digitizer!!! Once the glass is all removed and shards are gone you can now clean any fingerprints lint dust or oils using a dry microfiber cloth by gently applying LIGHT/SOFT pressure. Leave the glue on the outside edges of the phone and the bottom and top of the phone...just make sure the digitizer is spotless. Once everything is clean and the digitizer is spotless you can now install the screen. start from the bottom of the phone and proceed to put on the screen, make sure the "push" button is lined up and the line up the "light-sensor-ribbons buttons". the sensor ribbon buttons should just stick to the glass and line up with the screen part. Once the button is lined up you can now line up the rest of the screen and gently push down. The screen should be stuck into place by the existing glue on the outer edges. While holding the screen in place carefully put the battery in and turn on the device and make sure the buttons and screen and everything works properly and make sure the "lights" on the menu buttons work. Once you verify everything works and looks beautiful you can take the battery out one last time. Using the heatgun reheat the screen to melt the adhesive glue to the screen. Once the screen is heated back up to 180 degrees gently push on the glass and press for about 10 seconds and make sure to press in the outter edges of the glass where u left the glue. Let the phone cool off and you are good to go. Have fun using your S3!! This sounds fairly long and hard, but its not as hard as it sounds..its actually fairly easy and should take the average person about 50-70 mins first time. Experienced person about 20-40 mins.

i figure with the videos above you should be able to figure it out. Ill probably be adding more detailed info if this thread becomes popular. Good luck guys/gals

FAQS
    Q1) How do i know if its just my glass screen and not the phone itself that's not working?
    You will know if your phone screen lens cracked, but LCD display works. In other words you will know that its just the glass that's broken if your phone currently works perfectly fine and the touch screen works fine BUT the only thing wrong with the phone is the screen being physically cracked/scratched. If this is your case then the instructions above will work on replacing the glass.

keywords: s3 sIII slll fix fixed shattered break broke crack cracked cracks fuse fused unfuse remove removal repair guide video videos tutorial how-to how to fix it diy dropped drop break broken broke gorilla glass white marble t999 i747 i535 l710 r530 i9300 instruction
    Gentlemen and OP please update your original post to include this video. This is NOT to promote myself but from all the comments and feedback everyone has stated it is the most detailed and informative on You Tube on the glass replacement procedure. I also have separate videos on shattered glass replacement. Thanks and good luck.

Build up the entire border with 2mm tape a bit more. At the bottom especially on top of the ribbon cable there is a protective clear cover and in my experience if that comes off during the original loca removal the glass can sit to low and contact the digitizer. Not tooting my own horn here, watch my videos of glass repair part 2 I believe and watch how I make the rectangle border of 2 mm tape. Hope that helps.

Well... I am unable to find anyone locally willing to help and am nervous as all hell about attempting this. Anyone done this first attempt not messing it up? Also my screen looks like a spiderweb its so banged up. Will this affect how the screen pulls off of the digitizer? Thanks. :( hopefully I manage!

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk 2

My sisters screen was the worst I have ever seen. It was so shattered it was missing litle pieces if glss. I did it on my first attemp with no problems. It really is easier than it looks. Just be patient and make shure you are getting the addhesive hot enough (without melting your phone) and the screen will come right off.....with the help of a razor blade....Once Ihad finished I was shocked on how easy it really was....

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

My sisters screen was the worst I have ever seen. It was so shattered it was missing litle pieces if glss. I did it on my first attemp with no problems. It really is easier than it looks. Just be patient and make shure you are getting the addhesive hot enough (without melting your phone) and the screen will come right off.....with the help of a razor blade....Once Ihad finished I was shocked on how easy it really was....

My auto correct has failed me....lol
    Tried this and it works haven't noticed any issue with my screen response. $100 for gs3 with cracked screen $14 replacement glass $24 on heat gun which I'll return lol $1 on alcohol $4 on towels can't beat that

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app