[Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?

Search This thread

Meister_Li

Jun 26, 2010
Cork
I asked the Irish Phone providers about details in regards to unlocking the bootloader on the Xperia Z. So far, only Eircom (eMobile) got back to me - Since they and Metor are basically the same company by now, I think it holds true for them too:

eMobile Ireland:
@MeisterLiTweet Hi MeisterLiTweet, Unfortunately it is not possible to sell a Xperia Z with an unlockable bootloader. Grainne

ani99

Feb 16, 2013
how can i determine if my bootloader is locked?

Guys I didnt find a thread but if there is any please redirect me there. Anyway Im asking I want to knw if its possible to unlock the sim of xperia Z or when will it be available ? Please anwer me! hope there is a thread..

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
AW: [Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?

@ThreeUK @ThreeUKSupport Hi guys, could you tell me if the Xperia Z will have a fully locked bootloader with you guys?
Applying logic, you posed the wrong question. You're interested in the unlock, not the lock. As naturally ALL devices will come FULLY LOCKED. Some of them are unlockable though ;)

how can i determine if my bootloader is locked?
Same as above: your bootloader is locked. Devices leave the factory locked. Dial *#*#S-E-R-V-I-C-E#*#* though and check the software information menu, there will be some line saying unlock allowed yes or no.

...possible to unlock the sim of xperia Z
Illegal, thus will not be provided on xda devs. You may buy an unlock code from your carrier/phone provider to sim-unlock your device. This thread is about the bootloader though, not about the sim.

Reactions: ani99

MiloFoxburr

Jun 13, 2011
I asked the Irish Phone providers about details in regards to unlocking the bootloader on the Xperia Z. So far, only Eircom (eMobile) got back to me - Since they and Metor are basically the same company by now, I think it holds true for them too:

eMobile Ireland:
@MeisterLiTweet Hi MeisterLiTweet, Unfortunately it is not possible to sell a Xperia Z with an unlockable bootloader. Grainne
Just to update, I can confirm that O2 Ireland XZ's do not have Unlockable Bootloaders. It also has a bit of O2 branding (Video when shutting down)

Astridax93

Jul 22, 2010
Illegal, thus will not be provided on xda devs. You may buy an unlock code from your carrier/phone provider to sim-unlock your device. This thread is about the bootloader though, not about the sim.

I've heard about it being made illegal to sim unlock devices in the US without the operators consent, however this isn't the case for everywhere.

As far as I am aware, unlocking has never been illegal in the UK by any means. By far the easiest is with a unlock code given by the operator which many do after a few months in the contract. (For Three it is one year). PAYG phones are a bit more difficult since since operators are less happy giving out codes for devices purchased outright.

There are also other methods of sim unlocks such as:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1846451

For Samsung Galaxy phones.

However most of these solutions are root only solutions, so unless your bootloader is unlocked or someone has found a root exploit that doesn't require bootloader unlocking then via code is your only option.

Last edited:

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
In the end it doesn't matter as the actual goal everyone is going for is making locked devices unlockable. This seems to be rather uuhm... not going to happen though.
Thanks for the heads up though. I believe I confused it with tinkering with the IMEI.

Astridax93

Jul 22, 2010
In the end it doesn't matter as the actual goal everyone is going for is making locked devices unlockable. This seems to be rather uuhm... not going to happen though.
Thanks for the heads up though. I believe I confused it with tinkering with the IMEI.

Yeah that's heavily illegal, doesn't stop people doing it though! Problem comes especially when you buy Chinese dual sim imports and I've heard they don't come with a valid IMEI for the second radio. A quick email to the seller and one is, "arranged". God knows what this means, however I doubt any Western country would really start targeting China and cause problems. That's like baiting a bear!

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Moreover I sure hope the USA's bull**** unlocking law gets torn to pieces, part of me likes free business etc, but when large business can abuse their customer's freedoms that is out of order. Good luck to you guys, I would have signed that 'We are the People' petition right away if I could have.

Last edited:

ani99

Feb 16, 2013
Applying logic, you posed the wrong question. You're interested in the unlock, not the lock. As naturally ALL devices will come FULLY LOCKED. Some of them are unlockable though ;)

Same as above: your bootloader is locked. Devices leave the factory locked. Dial *#*#S-E-R-V-I-C-E#*#* though and check the software information menu, there will be some line saying unlock allowed yes or no.

I was told that is not possible to buy the unlock code from carrier or that they dont offer unlock codes, is this info wrong? i know but I didn;t know where else to ask. Thank you! How is ur xperia doing ?

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
AW: [Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?

Depends on the law in your country, on your provider or your contract, or a combination of either or all of these. In some countries this business is not regulated,in other countries carriers are legally obligated to hand you over a sim unlock key after a certain amount of time or even right away.

Just don't confuse things, this message here is sim unlock, not bootloader unlock. If you cannot unlock your bootloader, no one can change that, and that's what this thread actually is about, you just brought sim unlocking up on a side track.

Reactions: ani99

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hmm new to Sony here too. So what are the chances of pre-orders from carriers being bootloader locked? Just to clarify, does that mean carrier purchased devices are useless (if they are locked)? I was planning to get my device from Orange Uk as i can get a pretty decent 40% off the monthly tariff which makes it the best deal for me. But if it is locked then I may need to pass on this....bummer
    If you're getting any sort of subsidy discount, it's highly likely your device will not be unlockable.

The general rule for Sonys is: If it is sold SIM-locked, you will not be able to unlock the bootloader. If it is sold SIM-unlocked, you'll be able to unlock the bootloader. If the carrier later gives you a SIM-unlock code for a device that is sold SIM-locked, your bootloader will remain locked (Sony is working on trying to change this with carriers).

Well, if i recall correctly, the verizon droid DNA had a permanent locked bootloader too, but the guys here on XDA found a way to crack it.
    who knows, maybe there will be a loophole discovered after the first few days?
    Sony's bootloader security is pretty strong. If the Z were likely to have a loophole, the T would've probably been defeated by now.

again as mentioned this is my first Sony Android device so please bare with me. Can someone explain the reasons to unlock the bootloader as from what i've seen people have said u still can flash ROMS with a locked bootloader?
    You can cross-flash firmwares for other devices, but you cannot flash anything that has a modified kernel.
    The Bell (Canada) Xperia ZL I have has an unlockable bootloader.
    Hey guys,
    Just wondering if the Sony Xperia Z will come with a locked or unlocked bootloader?
    if it is locked, can it easily be relocked after unlocking it for warranty purposes?

I know there isnt much info out right now, but i have never owned a sony xperia phone so,
    someone shed some light for me? :)
    Devices from carriers usually can't be unlocked. If you buy it outright then usually it can be unlocked. The process does not record your full IMEI and can be relocked after so you are pretty safe in that regard. My HTC takes the full IMEI (so it can be identified) and if you lock it then it goes to "re-locked" and not "unlocked" .... so the sony method is actually pretty good.

Before buying you can always check on a live unit if bootloader can be unlocked.

M.
    Devices from carriers usually can't be unlocked. If you buy it outright then usually it can be unlocked. The process does not record your full IMEI and can be relocked after so you are pretty safe in that regard. My HTC takes the full IMEI (so it can be identified) and if you lock it then it goes to "re-locked" and not "unlocked" .... so the sony method is actually pretty good.

Before buying you can always check on a live unit if bootloader can be unlocked.

M.

Ah okay thanks mate,