How To Root The DROID RAZR HD On The Latest Software

Search This thread

deeje00

Jan 8, 2011
Updates for all phones forever have locked exploits. And the manufacturer isn't going to give you a disclaimer to let you know they're locking your phone. That's what xda is for. We tell you not too. And generally it wouldn't be the end. But seeing as how this phone is old at this point chances are very slim of a new exploit.

Sent from my PACMAN MATRIX HD MAXX

There is no way to unlock anymore. If you were planning on going custom why even take the other? This is why people have to check before getting willy nilly with random ota's that don't do anything other then lock your phone generally. To check bootloader status boot into fastboot it'll either say locked or unlocked.

I did my research and made sure not to update. I'm glad I was smart enough to read into comments on here and another website about this. But the good thing is anyone that is anyone locked can still rely on safestrap and flash an awesome Rom.

sent from my xt926 Droid RAZR HD flashed with Nexesque v3.5

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Updates for all phones forever have locked exploits. And the manufacturer isn't going to give you a disclaimer to let you know they're locking your phone. That's what xda is for. We tell you not too. And generally it wouldn't be the end. But seeing as how this phone is old at this point chances are very slim of a new exploit.

This phone might be considered old but this is my favorite phone of all time. Best thing about it is the battery life and how fast stable and Force Close free my current Rom is. Yea maybe I could of got the HTC One or S4 but I have zero regrets on my purchase.

sent from my xt926 Droid RAZR HD flashed with Nexesque v3.5

deeje00

Jan 8, 2011
I didn't say the phone wasn't good. I love my atrix. I plan on keeping it for quite awhile.

SETrazrHD

Nov 28, 2013
Will a Factory Reset Help

I'm running 4.1.2 version 9.18.94. Will a factory reset allow me to root using the previously available methods?

vjnhv6

Dec 15, 2013
Rookie Question(s)

I have slight differences:

System version: 9.30.1.XT926.Verizon.en.US
Model number: DROID RAZR HD
Android version: 4.1.2
Build number: 9.8.1Q-94-1
Build date: Thu Sep 26 11:56:01 CDT 2013

Will this work?

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
the title of this thread needs to be changed to the software version it was meant to address.

vjnhv6

Dec 15, 2013
Charity Work

Did you read any of this thread?

I read what I could but I have never rooted before so all of the lingo is hard to follow. I'm a mechanical engineer and know a ton about computers so I understand terms and concepts like model, operating system, hardware, software, etc but I'm not familiar with things like android version, system version, rom, locked, exploit. I am a quick learner but today is day one so any help is appreciated. Believe me, I know how annoying the guy is that doesn't read much into a thread and asks the same thing someone else did looking for a quick answer without doing any work. Here is what I am gathering but may be way off so help me out: Android version is the OS (windows 7, 8, etc.) and system version is just a small update that may do nothing more than block new rooting procedures you guys come out with. From this thread it sounds like people are saying that the newest (possibly 9.30) does not have a way of rooting for now or ever? Hard Boot or Factory Reset (not sure the difference) will not fix this? Please help me out or point me in some direction. I know a Nube requires a lot of patience but it is what it is. You started somewhere...

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

the title of this thread needs to be changed to the software version it was meant to address.

Ok

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011

System version: 9.30.1.XT926.Verizon.en.US this is basically a device specific update number. there would be several versions between the last official version and the next official version that we never see. as the device manufacturer makes test builds they increase the number. that is why the last version was 9.20 and the current is 9.30, they didnt just jump .10. so this number is more or less a way for the manufarturers to track test builds on the lowest level.

Android version: 4.1.2 this is basically the base OS version as classified by google. the manufacturers take this base code (IE. windows 7-8 etc. in actuality jellybean, kitkat, etc) and adapt it into builds and system versions that can operate properly on there specific device. unlike windows where drivers for hardware can be easily installed, drivers/etc. have to be coded into the software to make the phone work properly. with the various hardware in each specific device, the build numbers and software versions do not relate in any way from one phone to another.

Build number: 9.8.1Q-94-1 this is the build number that the system version resides under. i believe this is just a number they pull out of there arse to classify the system version under. the build number directly relates to the device specific system version. i believe this doesn't change as they make test builds but i could be wrong.

Will this work?

ill break it down for you in red above. i hope that makes a little sense.

the title of this thread is now deceptive because the latest software when this was posted is not the latest software now. there is no direct root for the latest software (system version) now.

Reactions: RikRong and vjnhv6

vjnhv6

Dec 15, 2013

the title of this thread is now deceptive because the latest software when this was posted is not the latest software now. there is no direct root for the latest software (system version) now.

Thanks! So while keeping an eye out for the new root that I need, I am typing what in Google? System Version right? (9.30.1)
And doing a Hard Reset or Factory Reset will NOT put me back to an old system version correct?

Thanks a lot for helping me out.

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Thanks! So while keeping an eye out for the new root that I need, I am typing what in Google? System Version right? (9.30.1)
And doing a Hard Reset or Factory Reset will NOT put me back to an old system version correct?

Thanks a lot for helping me out.

yes, you are looking for root for that system version.

no reset will change your system version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am creating this thread because I feel that people are unaware that you can still root the Droid RAZR HD with the latest software.

It's actually very simple.

Step 1 - Download the Droid RAZR HD Utility - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2307439

Step 2 - Boot into AP Fastboot (Power off phone, then hold the power button and volume up & down buttons - all 3 buttons simultaneously - scroll down to AP Fastboot then press the volume up key when AP Fastboot is highlighted to select it and boot into AP Fastboot)

Step 3 - Follow the instructions for the Droid RAZR HD Utility. Chose option 1. Your phone will be restored to 4.1.2 with the exploitable motochopper root.

Step 4 - Root with motochopper. I personally used the .zip not included with the Droid RAZR HD Utility - once you're on the exploitable version of 4.1.2 using the separate .zip or the Droid RAZR HD Utility to root shouldn't make a difference. Make sure you have the latest Motorola drivers and that you have USB debugging enabled before attempting to root.

Step 5- Download Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper from the Android Market. Use the protect root and then the temporarily unroot options.

Step 6 - Install the OTA update

Step 7 - Open Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and restore root. You should now be successfully rooted with the latest software.

***This worked flawlessly for me, however on the Droid RAZR HD Utility thread it says not to use it with the latest OTA update. I used it with the latest OTA update and ran into no problems. Use at your own risk.***

If you feel that I have left anything out or care to share your experience please reply.

I am new to the boards but I thought this thread would be very helpful.

System version: 9.30.1.XT926.Verizon.en.US this is basically a device specific update number. there would be several versions between the last official version and the next official version that we never see. as the device manufacturer makes test builds they increase the number. that is why the last version was 9.20 and the current is 9.30, they didnt just jump .10. so this number is more or less a way for the manufarturers to track test builds on the lowest level.

Android version: 4.1.2 this is basically the base OS version as classified by google. the manufacturers take this base code (IE. windows 7-8 etc. in actuality jellybean, kitkat, etc) and adapt it into builds and system versions that can operate properly on there specific device. unlike windows where drivers for hardware can be easily installed, drivers/etc. have to be coded into the software to make the phone work properly. with the various hardware in each specific device, the build numbers and software versions do not relate in any way from one phone to another.

Build number: 9.8.1Q-94-1 this is the build number that the system version resides under. i believe this is just a number they pull out of there arse to classify the system version under. the build number directly relates to the device specific system version. i believe this doesn't change as they make test builds but i could be wrong.

Will this work?

The only way to unroot is to FXZ. I don't think you can FXZ back to 9.16 (there is no full FXZ image for 9.18).

You could FXZ to 9.30.1 and then take the update, but there is NO root for Kit Kat and there is NO way to preserve root across the OTA to Kit Kat, so you will lose root if you have a locked bootloader, and I would not hold my breath for an exploit. Kit Kat takes care of a lot of other exploits, including the tethering Sqlite hack that allows you to get tethering for free. There is another hack to make it work, but you have to have root, which means you have to have an unlocked bootloader.

SamuriHL was looking at theory he had on getting root access, but it didn't pan out and he doesn't have an HD anymore, so he can't spend any more time on it. I'd say getting root for Kit Kat is probably close to nil.

he stated that he was unlocked "droid razr hd xt926 ver 9.18.94 and unlocked"
    I am creating this thread because I feel that people are unaware that you can still root the Droid RAZR HD with the latest software.

It's actually very simple.

Step 1 - Download the Droid RAZR HD Utility - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2307439

Step 2 - Boot into AP Fastboot (Power off phone, then hold the power button and volume up & down buttons - all 3 buttons simultaneously - scroll down to AP Fastboot then press the volume up key when AP Fastboot is highlighted to select it and boot into AP Fastboot)

Step 3 - Follow the instructions for the Droid RAZR HD Utility. Chose option 1. Your phone will be restored to 4.1.2 with the exploitable motochopper root.

Step 4 - Root with motochopper. I personally used the .zip not included with the Droid RAZR HD Utility - once you're on the exploitable version of 4.1.2 using the separate .zip or the Droid RAZR HD Utility to root shouldn't make a difference. Make sure you have the latest Motorola drivers and that you have USB debugging enabled before attempting to root.

Step 5- Download Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper from the Android Market. Use the protect root and then the temporarily unroot options.

Step 6 - Install the OTA update

Step 7 - Open Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and restore root. You should now be successfully rooted with the latest software.

***This worked flawlessly for me, however on the Droid RAZR HD Utility thread it says not to use it with the latest OTA update. I used it with the latest OTA update and ran into no problems. Use at your own risk.***

If you feel that I have left anything out or care to share your experience please reply.

I am new to the boards but I thought this thread would be very helpful.

Maybe I am asking a dumb question, but does this method allow you to unlock the bootloader?

I am on version 9.18.79.XT926 and was wondering if this method would work for me. Were you on the same version or a different one?
    i have no idea why my DROID RAZR HD XT926 cannot updated. Current firmware is 9.18.94 updated via OTA last time ago and rooted. I used my phone using my country operator ( not verizon anymore ) and work well for gsm and cdma ( voice and data )
    I got notification update for 182.46.10 en US but everytimes I update via OTA failed and back to current 9.18.94
    I cannot update to 9.30.1 coz I lost my original data cable. how can I update direct via OTA as notification to 182.46.10 ?
    And 182.46.10 is KitKat 4.4???

you will probably need to fxz/sbf ,you don't need the factory cable just one that works but the factory one would be best then follow these instructions http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/45494-how-to-xt926-upgrade-to-kitkat-ota/ this is all thanks to @SamuriHL good luck.