Restore Whatsapp

Search This thread

Hillbird

Oct 16, 2009
Hello! :)
I just installed a new custom ROM KItKat 4.4.4 Cyanogen Mod.
My first custom ROM. I backup up important data.
Did a complete folder backup of Whatsapp folder on my SDcard but I cannot find the new installation folder after
install of Whatsapp post ROM install.
I would like to copy the folder to the whatsapp folder but where is the installation folder or any other application folder located????
:rolleyes::eek:

alicepattinson

Jan 23, 2013
Hello! :)
I just installed a new custom ROM KItKat 4.4.4 Cyanogen Mod.
My first custom ROM. I backup up important data.
Did a complete folder backup of Whatsapp folder on my SDcard but I cannot find the new installation folder after
install of Whatsapp post ROM install.
I would like to copy the folder to the whatsapp folder but where is the installation folder or any other application folder located????
:rolleyes::eek:

Hi HIllbird, you can just re install Whatsapp :)

Simone98RC

Jun 21, 2013
Reggio Calabria
simonealecci.it
WhatsApp multimedia files and backups are saved on internal SD card. You are unluckily, because after data wipe you have lost them!
Knowing WhatsApp backup path, you should had to manually copy its folder into external SD, or simply do a Titanium Backup of WhatsApp and restore them when CyanogenMod rom were installed.

Hillbird

Oct 16, 2009
Dear Simone. Thank you very much for your quick reply. You seem to be very well aware of the possibilities ;) However I mentioned in my first for that
I did a complete folder backup of Whatsapp folder on my SDcard.
Problem now is a that I dont know on which location I can restore this...and make my old chat history visible again as well as my history.

Simone98RC

Jun 21, 2013
Reggio Calabria
simonealecci.it
Dear Simone. Thank you very much for your quick reply. You seem to be very well aware of the possibilities ;) However I mentioned in my first for that
I did a complete folder backup of Whatsapp folder on my SDcard.
Problem now is a that I dont know on which location I can restore this...and make my old chat history visible again as well as my history.

You have to restore it on internal memory, simply by copying the folder from your SD card, and then reinstall Whatsapp.
So you can restore old messages during the wizard, but obviously, you'll lost newer ones, you can't do a merge [emoji6]

I hope I was helpful

Tkkg1994

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
Jun 10, 2014
Coding City
What I would do:
1. Look for a good Explorer
2. Uninstall Whatsapp
3. Delete whatsapp files on you Device(NOT ON THE SD CARD!)
4. Copy the Whatsapp file onto your device
5. Reinstall Whatsapp
6. Click restore backup :)

Simone98RC

Jun 21, 2013
Reggio Calabria
simonealecci.it
no, the new ones will be loaded again when the backup is restored
Partially agree... new messages received while you are reinstalling Whatsapp will be restored.
But the new ones already received will be lost and replaced by your old conversations.
I'm very expert about, when I do hard tweaking and get bootloops (a lots until now), WhatsApp restore is the worst things, I've always to lost something with Nandroid restore [emoji14]

CaptainHIT

Feb 20, 2011
I just copy the Whatsapp folder found on the internal SD to my computer. After I do a factory reset with wipe all data on SD, I just copy back the Whatspp folder onto my phones internal SD. While installing Whatsapp, it will find all backup data and restore them. No new messages are lost, everything is just right there. ;)

Sent from my HTC One

girisesh

Aug 21, 2014
New messages will be lost

Exactly, but you'll lost newer messages, as I said you can't merge ones with older [emoji106]

Sorry if this is too late for the reply. I just joined the forum.

I had this same problem. As rightly mentioned is an earlier post, you just need to copy paste the old folder and restore from that. Your problem of new messages lost will happen if there is a significant time difference between back up and restore. If not I don't think the new messages are lost.

In my case I had backed up whatsapp but was using it on another handset till the time I restored and so lost the new ones (or had the option to restore only one of the two). I havent come across any forum which helps in clubbing the old and new messages into one backup/ restore.