[APP][2.2+][24 Jul - v0.11] CommandCenter the power of shell without the terminal

Search This thread

chamonix

Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
Berlin
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Have you ever dreamed of an app to execute your favorite shell commands, whether it is for collection dmesg/logcat/dumpsys or set kernel parameters.

Well here comes CommandCenter, a generic app for grouping all your favorite commands.

CommandCenter is free with ads and can be downloaded from the Google Play (please be patient, it takes a while to update as I just published)
It is also open source and your can check my repo to inspect / review the code.

If you are a kernel developer you may want to provide a tool for your users to run certain commands without havint to maintain an app for that; if yes just submit a Command Set and have your users download it.

If you are a poweruser there are commands that you use all the time, wither from adb shell or in the terminal. Make one or multiple Command Set and enjoy the comfort of an Android app and the power of your favorite commands.

From version 0.10 a Locale / Tasker Plugin was added to execute command from actions.

PAAAAHTRuo28eAEIBY8znarnMVuIZPFxGNoSOY2uNrHE77WE1BLupIOMuEI5kUZLwasH3eQWQwNqAONBN3joWr3Die4AzfqVaQcS24XYsGbqiZ6EqMmhGGd6v1kH.png
PAAAAKD1xcx4a1tyIqip3z24YvW_hbSQRdBrKl8jUVqc9OIx0Yjyd2lLo3xmQpyTznt6hD62jyBoR9uuHcx0_ndAPFoAzfqVabGrGq2vHV4L2LRT4mKNjfMwlEo5.png
PAAAAFVHjTv2HWN-N75xtmSAUhSUtVB6Jlov52JoP1a41fBaW0ec-z1YXKgAYimFTTzawQ--od9OzZH45NnBhqcVHFAAzfqVaU7v6VylALqWmHjYIBTxgEysTs4p.png

How it works
The command sets are stored of the sdcard in the app's private folder /sdcard/Android/data/com.asksven.commandcenter/files in the form of json files. On load the files are parsed and each file (Command Set) shown as a tab.

A single click on a Command displays its details, a long click pops up a dialog from where you can run the command (this is configurable in the preferences).

A command has two parts:
- the command to be executed itself: it may contain a variable and in that case a popup will ask for the value to be used
- an optional command to retrieve a status: if a status can be read it will be displayed

CommandCenter comes with two pre-configured Command Sets:
- general commands for logging / diagnosis
- a few command for Fracisco Franco's awsome GN kernel

Want to contribute?
If you want to create and distribute command set just drop me a PM. I would be happy to give you more details about the syntax of the command sets and there is a section in this thread to list authored Command Sets. I may also add some to the Market app.

Caution
Always check the command's before running them. CommandCenter support 'su' command and you should know what you do as those could harm your phone. I will not take any responsibility for any dammage caused by command run using CommandCenter

Contact
You can contact me here (PM, this thread) or on twitter

Last edited:

chamonix

Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
Berlin
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Release Notes

v0.11.0 2012-07-24
Major fix: added synchronization to avoid freeze conditions
#24: "refresh" reads changes on command collections from the external storage
#26, #27, #28: different error conditions from reports

v0.10.1 2012-05-06
#15: samples scripts were being re-created on every start instead of once at first install
#14: FC when turning to portrait
#16: FC when number of result lines for a command < 5
#17: Various FC conditions from google play logs
#21: error in one script should not cause the other not to load

v0.9.0 2012-03-10
Solved stability issues (threaded processing)
Tablet support
#8: new command dialog layout

v0.8.0 2012-02-24
#4 Popup menu was called "edit"
#5 added support for user defined and editable commands
#6 added support for commands returning data

v0.7.2 2012-02-12
#2: dumpsys missing su, and logcat files have zero-length
#3: A few issues with backward compat to Android 2.1/2.2 fixed

v0.7.1 2012-02-11
#1: fixed Android 2.1 compatibility issue

v0.7 2012-02-11 Initial release

Last edited:

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
sounds quite nice, can't wait to try. Have been using Tasker + Secure Settings for that so far, let's see how it compares.

harpo1

Jan 14, 2009
Yuba City
When I try and dump logcat radio or logcat it creates the file but it's blank. Also when I dump alarms the file reads Permission Denial: can't dump AlarmManager from pid=5637, uid=10128. ComandCenter never ask for SU Permissions. I ran the dump alarms with su permission from the terminal and it worked fine. HTC Inspire running ICS.

Last edited:

chamonix

Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
Berlin
Google Pixel 6 Pro
When I try and dump logcat radio or logcat it creates the file but it's blank. Also when I dump alarms the file reads Permission Denial: can't dump AlarmManager from pid=5637, uid=10128. ComandCenter never ask for SU Permissions. I ran the dump alarms with su permission from the terminal and it worked fine. HTC Inspire running ICS.

Ok the alarm dump is fixed, it was a definition error in the command set (dumpsys did not require su).
Testing the other commands now on rooted and unrooted device

chamonix

Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
Berlin
Google Pixel 6 Pro
V0.7.2

Fix-Release is rolling out, see post #2 for release notes.

I did quite a lot of testing on 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and 4 devices with and without root and I hope the fixes work for everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: harpo1

Kurre

Aug 10, 2010
Another great release from chamonix :D

I have been looking for an app like this..so thank you very much. Now I'll start study it to take full advantage from it ;)

Sent from my sandwiched SGS

Reactions: chamonix

chamonix

Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
Berlin
Google Pixel 6 Pro
It's time to collect some feature requests and build some use cases. Do you guys have suggestions for feature or know a kernel dev who has no time to write a sexy "settings" app. I'd be happy to provide the command sets while finalizing the schema aiming at making it public for contributors

short/y

Mar 9, 2006
Silly-con Valley
Should it be possible to add or modify the command sets? I don't seem to be able to do either. In Edit mode, my soft keyboard never open and I don't see any option to create a new command set. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place?

This is on a Samsung Galaxy Nexus running a rooted AOSP ICS.

chamonix

Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
Berlin
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Should it be possible to add or modify the command sets? I don't seem to be able to do either. In Edit mode, my soft keyboard never open and I don't see any option to create a new command set. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place?

This is on a Samsung Galaxy Nexus running a rooted AOSP ICS.

In fact the is no way of editing the commands from within the app. I have been thinking about that a lot and the functionality itselt is not the problem (it occurs to me that the popup menu is named "edit" and this is of course not correct).
The reason I did not provide edition of commands within the app is that I want to offer a distribution channel for authors to update their command sets. Those updates would overwrite the local changes.
What you can do to edit the commands is edit the json files located on the sdcard in Android/data/com.asksven.commandcenter/files (one file per command set).

Do you feel the need to have "local" commands as well that could be edited from the app and stored in a local database?

aaronpoweruser

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 19, 2007
earth
In fact the is no way of editing the commands from within the app. I have been thinking about that a lot and the functionality itselt is not the problem (it occurs to me that the popup menu is named "edit" and this is of course not correct).
The reason I did not provide edition of commands within the app is that I want to offer a distribution channel for authors to update their command sets. Those updates would overwrite the local changes.
What you can do to edit the commands is edit the json files located on the sdcard in Android/data/com.asksven.commandcenter/files (one file per command set).

Do you feel the need to have "local" commands as well that could be edited from the app and stored in a local database?

Local commands would be handy also you can do generics for brand htc Samsung etc as the kernels tend to have commands in the same spot, also a log viewer would be cool but they are. Readily avaliable

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk

aaronpoweruser

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 19, 2007
earth
Auto upload to paste bin would be sick and the ability to email to dev as well as adding the kernel version to the file name

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk

short/y

Mar 9, 2006
Silly-con Valley

Yes, I'd like to have that. I can think of a few I'd like to have NOW as opposed to waiting for someone to come up with them
Code:
df -h /sdcard
df -h
ls -lrt /mnt/sdcard | tail
ls -lrt /sdcard/Download | tail
ping www.google.com
ifconfig lte_rmnet1
netstat -rn
netstat -l
netstat | grep CLOSE
uptime
And probably few others that I could come up with once I really thought about it. Why not have "protected" command sets which are updated thru the app or Market and "user" or, as you call them, "local"?

pp1276

Aug 25, 2009
First of all, thanks for develop another great application.
I concur that having the possibility to add commands is really a 'must have'. Of course, if we are thinking about to create commands, this means all of us have already a terminal app installed to run them, but the purpose of this app is to make life easier for having our favorite commands ready to execute. Many of these commands are possibly a small subset of common ones, but even with that, I probably prefer to redirect the output to a diffferent place that abother user using the same command. So having a 'user tab' to be able to add, edit and delete commands (also maybe copy a command from other tab) will be very useful.

Anyway, congrats for comming up with this useful app.

Reactions: chamonix

chamonix

Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
Berlin
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yes, I'd like to have that. I can think of a few I'd like to have NOW as opposed to waiting for someone to come up with them
Code:
df -h /sdcard
df -h
ls -lrt /mnt/sdcard | tail
ls -lrt /sdcard/Download | tail
ping www.google.com
ifconfig lte_rmnet1
netstat -rn
netstat -l
netstat | grep CLOSE
uptime
And probably few others that I could come up with once I really thought about it. Why not have "protected" command sets which are updated thru the app or Market and "user" or, as you call them, "local"?

One question about those commands: some of them return results that will not fit on one line and so would not fit in the space reserved for the status (lower line in the list).
How would you like to display the result?
- as a popup when running the command
- as a multi line status field 'growing' when required and updating automatically

chamonix

Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
Berlin
Google Pixel 6 Pro
First of all, thanks for develop another great application.
I concur that having the possibility to add commands is really a 'must have'. Of course, if we are thinking about to create commands, this means all of us have already a terminal app installed to run them, but the purpose of this app is to make life easier for having our favorite commands ready to execute. Many of these commands are possibly a small subset of common ones, but even with that, I probably prefer to redirect the output to a diffferent place that abother user using the same command. So having a 'user tab' to be able to add, edit and delete commands (also maybe copy a command from other tab) will be very useful.

Anyway, congrats for comming up with this useful app.

I am convinced: https://github.com/asksven/CommandCenter/issues/5

Reactions: pp1276

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have you ever dreamed of an app to execute your favorite shell commands, whether it is for collection dmesg/logcat/dumpsys or set kernel parameters.

Well here comes CommandCenter, a generic app for grouping all your favorite commands.

CommandCenter is free with ads and can be downloaded from the Google Play (please be patient, it takes a while to update as I just published)
    It is also open source and your can check my repo to inspect / review the code.

If you are a kernel developer you may want to provide a tool for your users to run certain commands without havint to maintain an app for that; if yes just submit a Command Set and have your users download it.

If you are a poweruser there are commands that you use all the time, wither from adb shell or in the terminal. Make one or multiple Command Set and enjoy the comfort of an Android app and the power of your favorite commands.

From version 0.10 a Locale / Tasker Plugin was added to execute command from actions.

PAAAAHTRuo28eAEIBY8znarnMVuIZPFxGNoSOY2uNrHE77WE1BLupIOMuEI5kUZLwasH3eQWQwNqAONBN3joWr3Die4AzfqVaQcS24XYsGbqiZ6EqMmhGGd6v1kH.png
    PAAAAKD1xcx4a1tyIqip3z24YvW_hbSQRdBrKl8jUVqc9OIx0Yjyd2lLo3xmQpyTznt6hD62jyBoR9uuHcx0_ndAPFoAzfqVabGrGq2vHV4L2LRT4mKNjfMwlEo5.png
    PAAAAFVHjTv2HWN-N75xtmSAUhSUtVB6Jlov52JoP1a41fBaW0ec-z1YXKgAYimFTTzawQ--od9OzZH45NnBhqcVHFAAzfqVaU7v6VylALqWmHjYIBTxgEysTs4p.png

How it works
    The command sets are stored of the sdcard in the app's private folder /sdcard/Android/data/com.asksven.commandcenter/files in the form of json files. On load the files are parsed and each file (Command Set) shown as a tab.

A single click on a Command displays its details, a long click pops up a dialog from where you can run the command (this is configurable in the preferences).

A command has two parts:
    - the command to be executed itself: it may contain a variable and in that case a popup will ask for the value to be used
    - an optional command to retrieve a status: if a status can be read it will be displayed

CommandCenter comes with two pre-configured Command Sets:
    - general commands for logging / diagnosis
    - a few command for Fracisco Franco's awsome GN kernel

Want to contribute?
    If you want to create and distribute command set just drop me a PM. I would be happy to give you more details about the syntax of the command sets and there is a section in this thread to list authored Command Sets. I may also add some to the Market app.

Caution
    Always check the command's before running them. CommandCenter support 'su' command and you should know what you do as those could harm your phone. I will not take any responsibility for any dammage caused by command run using CommandCenter

Contact
    You can contact me here (PM, this thread) or on twitter
    Release Notes

v0.11.0 2012-07-24
    Major fix: added synchronization to avoid freeze conditions
    #24: "refresh" reads changes on command collections from the external storage
    #26, #27, #28: different error conditions from reports

v0.10.1 2012-05-06
    #15: samples scripts were being re-created on every start instead of once at first install
    #14: FC when turning to portrait
    #16: FC when number of result lines for a command < 5
    #17: Various FC conditions from google play logs
    #21: error in one script should not cause the other not to load

v0.9.0 2012-03-10
    Solved stability issues (threaded processing)
    Tablet support
    #8: new command dialog layout

v0.8.0 2012-02-24
    #4 Popup menu was called "edit"
    #5 added support for user defined and editable commands
    #6 added support for commands returning data

v0.7.2 2012-02-12
    #2: dumpsys missing su, and logcat files have zero-length
    #3: A few issues with backward compat to Android 2.1/2.2 fixed

v0.7.1 2012-02-11
    #1: fixed Android 2.1 compatibility issue

v0.7 2012-02-11 Initial release
    Release

Bugfix Release 0.10.1 is rolling out
    Doc

Doc for creating command sets added to post #3
    Bugfix Release 0.10.1 is rolling out

Hey,

thanks for the support.

You made me feel bad about having blocked your finance with my ad blocking.

So today when I re-installed nightly with wipe, i pressed the ads in your app twice ;)
    I also rated your app 5 stars in Market :)

I again provide you with logcat. I had FC on my first boot of latest CC. When I tapped devil tab.
    Then I re-open Command Center, and I see black screen with notification bar for 5-10 seconds, and my launcher redraws after that.
    Then all you have to do is open CC again. With no issues on devil tab. I see this behavior a lot since I edit the files a lot.

I provide the mentioned json file too, I hope it's any use.